Dont eat me 2

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't eat me 2

In Florida we have some aggressive Bull Sharks on the west coast. They like feeding in the surf, in murky water, right where I like to hunt.

The are thick as thieves in some areas. I know some areas in Cedar Key that I'd like to poke around in, but diving in the water there is dangerous due to the number of Bull's.

This product is being released in the US, and so far, it seems to work. They just opened up an office in St. Petersburg and one of our local dive shops is using it. This article was in the Tampa Bay Times newspaper this morning.

I also posted this in Beach and Shallow water.

It might be worth considering....

They run just under $700. LINK

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 10.46.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 11.42.54 AM.png

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would need to see this used by a spear fisherman and see what a bull does with a bit of blood in the water........

I know you don't hunt with blood around but if the shark can overpower the device when it's really fired up.....its a waste of money.....

just my thoughts??

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I met these guys 20 years ago. It's nothing new. Back then they were selling for $350. I didn't buy one because I thought it was over priced. How much are they going for now? :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hummmm, thought I put that in the original post... must be my failing memory.

I know they are selling for $700 but jeeez. That's double what they started out at. I guess everything is going up.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How COOL!

Here is his link. It would be nice to meet him one day myself. He has done a lot of work with Sharks.

The original shark shield was invented by Graeme Charter, Sherman Ripley and Norman Starkey in S. Africa. I enquired about a dealership but then they sold the rights and patent to an Australian company. I was in Capetown in 1992.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The electronic aspects of these devices has always struck me as very similar to what a PI detector does. Color me crazy, but I think PI detectors and possibly even VLF's act as somewhat of a deterrent to sharks. Personally, I don't think ANYTHING electronic is going to repulse a frenzied or hungry enough fish...just my opinion. Here are links to a few studies which show very mixed results as to their effectiveness.

Demand for Anti-Shark Device Surges, But Do They Work? SURFER Magazine
No Cookies | Herald Sun
SA researchers trial effectiveness of electronic shark deterrent devices on Great Whites - ABC Adelaide - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a little sand shark clamp onto my ankle in knee-deep water off of Longboat Key, but bull sharks...jeez! $700 bucks seems pretty pricey, but guess it's better than losin a leg! Think surfers in southern Cal were buyin these a while back. Be safe G.I.B.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't eat me 2

The original shark shield was invented by Graeme Charter, Sherman Ripley and Norman Starkey in S. Africa. I enquired about a dealership but then they sold the rights and patent to an Australian company. I was in Capetown in 1992.

I was running the Metropole hotel in Capetown at that time, small world.....

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Were you the old Spitfire pilot I used to drag war stories out of at the bar....happy days....

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't eat me 2

Oh well, stories from a crusty old shipwreck salvor is a good second best I suppose.......ha ha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread