Been finding some odd things in the water metal detecting...

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hey all you shipwreck experts I need some advice and knowledge from all of you that work on wrecks. While metal detecting in water of Hawaii, I've been finding lots of medium to small brass nails in the water. Also, whats weird is that I've been finding small sheets of brass and lead, the sheets range in size of 4x6 inches. Could this be from boats or ship of some sort? I am still looking, I don't think it was a ship wreck but I know there used to be a wooden pier that extended from the beach. They used to use it for loading and unloading from boats, this was being done in the 1800's. Just curious, I will try to post pics the next time I find these pieces of metal and maybe someone could tell me what they might be... Thanks for anyones reply.... Aloha :)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brass sheeting was used to cover docks around 1800's to prevent splintering when boats hit the wood. Sort of like a bumper.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass sheeting was used to cover docks around 1800's to prevent splintering when boats hit the wood. Sort of like a bumper.
Might be a good place to find other stuff, people lost or tossed a lot of everything off them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread