Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

liverock

May 23, 2008
Anns beach in lower Matecumbe ocean side was where one of the salvage camps was...found some stuff there back in the 70's. as did Fizz.....

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about "wrecker" camp... I am sure they exist...
I once read about a Native Indian involvement mentioned in an early record...
Something about natives misleading a ship that had approached shoreline to "conduct trades"...
They were guided into a shallow water area where they could not retreat...
Once inside the "bay/cove" the Indians (Calusa If mem serves me) then attacked them... killed them all...
Record of it was witnessed by captive who later escaped.

ANd I remember this one ... involving De Leon...
"Ponce de Leon was again enticed by the idea that the Calusa chief had gold to trade with him if he would wait a day by some Indians he met well out taking soundings of a harbor. Like the first time, this was a trap set up by Calusas. Canoes filled with about eighty breech wood clothed Calusas attack eleven Spanish sailors."

Ps... I have been to a "supposed" survivor encamp once.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wasn't there a camp near Kip Wagners site, mentioned in "Pieces of Eight?"

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been given a few leads on some old ruins that were allegedly camps set up,on high ground, overlooking reefs so that when a ship wrecked they could be first on the scene.
Maybe even assist the wrecking by shining false lights?

Has anyone heard of thes types of camps befoe?

There is a pretty good book by Birse Shepard called Lore of the Wreckers. It is not specific to the Keys, but discusses the history of wrecking from Key West all the way up the east coast. It seems that wherever there were LOTS of wrecks (I.E. Florida Keys, North Carolina outer banks) there are legends of unscrupulous types putting out false lights in order to cause shipwrecks. Unfortunately for the theory, there has never been a single court case of a ship's captain claiming he was wrecked because of false lights. And MANY shipwreck cases wound up in court for various reasons, mainly financial. Nags Head, North Carolina supposedly got its name because wreckers would put lanterns around horses necks and lead the horses up and down the beach in order to lure in victims. There is no historical basis for this idea, but many believe it is true.

The idea of wreckers using "false lights" makes little sense from a practical perspective, at least IMHO. For a mariner, an unidentified light at sea, especially during heavy weather, screams one thing: "STAY AWAY" !!!

In any event, there is no doubt wreckers would hang around certain areas and lie in wait for shipwrecks. These places don't need human intervention to be virtual "wreck traps". So the idea of a "wrecking camp" is entirely feasible---provided the camp is in close proximity to shipping lanes and also provides safe harbor for the wrecker's own ships. You can't salvage a ship if yours is lying at the bottom of a reef.

And I assume we are making a distinction between a "salvage camp" and a wrecking camp. A salvage camp could be practically anywhere necessity dictated. The 1733, 1715 and Ribaut survivors camps come to mind...

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anns beach in lower Matecumbe ocean side was where one of the salvage camps was...found some stuff there back in the 70's. as did Fizz.....

I think that little stretch of beach used to be called "Money Beach"...I always wondered why, LOL...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a camp near Kip Wagners site, mentioned in "Pieces of Eight?"

Yes... a few of em there.
They are survivor camps...
Which basically were a bunch of holes in the ground...
They would bury themselves in the sand to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitos.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did it all over from what it sounds like. They did it on the cape also. They would start fires on the beach or show lights to guild ships into the shore or onto sandbars.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the legends of the outer banks of North Carolina has the wreckers walking a horse with a lantern Origin of Names on North Carolina's Outer Banks | OBX History | Outer Banks History

The legend of Nags Head is that in the days of pirates, when tales drifted ashore of the wonderful treasures being plundered at sea, one of the "Bankers", (natives to the Outer Banks) got the inspiration which brought the name Nags Head. A lantern was tied around the neck of an old and gentle horse, and this old nag led slowly up and down the dunes now known as Jockey's Ridge, so that the light shone out to sea. As a ship's captain saw this light, it appeared to be from a ship riding at anchor in a sheltered harbor, but when he tried to make anchorage his ship would go aground, with land pirates then making the crew "walk the plank" before looting and burning the ship.

There's an entire book on one of the salvage camps for the 1715 fleet The Winter Beach Salvage Camp: Mr. Douglas R. Armstrong: 9781483906430: Amazon.com: Books

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm pretty sure such camps have existed all over the world at various times. Nova Scotia, Keys, Italy, Bristol, Africa...everywhere. As others have stated, anyplace where wrecks tend to occur, usually a cape such as Good Hope, Keys, Cape Horn, etc. The Keys are most famous for it - started out a poor, hapless community then made folks crazy rich in a few short years. Some were accused of being "sirens" luring the ships or dousing lighthouse lamps (see Jolly Mon's post for some good anecdotes).

Even a movie about it with the Duke: Reap the Wild Wind.

Because they were "camps" (or towns) for that purpose, the likelihood of finding anything NOW is very small. They're picked clean.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
A truly interesting book. "The Young Wrecker on the Florida Reef" The Trials and Adventures of Fred Ransom, by Richard Meade Bache. First published in 1869. Re-pubished in 1999 by The Ketch and Yawl Press, Key West, with an introduction by Tom Corcoran. It is slightly fictionalized history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread