Any Interest in a confirmed site Out side US waters ??? Details at Cookout.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I have kept this site a family secret. It is in South America. The site was side scanned by Klein side scan many years ago. A silver bar was uncovered and reburied at the site. A very old silver ring was also found at the site.

A Bronze plaque that was put there by the Government of the Country were it is located. States,
" This is where Sir Francis Drake dumped 45 tons of silver. "

I know many people to not believe this is where Drake Dumped the Silver. Personally, all I can tell you from spending many years at that location is this. A very deep seeking Pulse Induction system says there is heavy readings for non-ferrous metal at that location. The non-ferrous metal is buried under sand and muck. There is no sign of a wreck at that location. If the silver bar and silver ring were not found? I would say that it could have been a cargo of aluminum beer cans that was dumped over the side of a boat. I have no idea what is down there. But I do have a strong opinion.

Since Salvor 6 was kind enough to get me to the cookout. I will let Salvor 6 and Aquanut see if anyone is interested in trying to get their own group down there to survey the site and then try and get a salvage permit.

Thanks again Pete and I'll see everyone at the cookout. sads 669, looking forward to swapping sea stories with you and anyone else that is brave enough to sit down with a mean, grumpy, old sob and have a beverage of their choice. The beverage is on sads 669. See you all at the cookout and a Big Thank You to Salvor 6 for making it possible.

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whoa Tiger, my wallet is full of moths, the last time it was opened the Russians were on the " other side" of the wall, not standing on it baring their backsides to all of us.....

If it's not a nightmare place, I'm available, after I finish this bowls game.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man,
If it's the same place we have chatted about over the years, today it is part of that country's Natural Park System--and may have severe restriction regarding searching for, recovery of and exporting artifacts.
Don....

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old Man,
If it's the same place we have chatted about over the years, today it is part of that country's Natural Park System--and may have severe restriction regarding searching for, recovery of and exporting artifacts.
Don....

I see a covert OP in the making.....:skullflag: 8-)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A very deep seeking Pulse Induction system says there is heavy readings for non-ferrous metal at that location. The non-ferrous metal is buried under sand and muck.

Ed, I hope the silver is indeed there. But as an avid user and researcher of pulse induction, this is virtually impossible. PI units can be designed for slight discrimination, but it is, at best, very poor discrimination. Any amount of ferrous metal will give the same signal as non-ferrous. To complicate matters further, pi units will not detect a pile of anything. It only detects the surface area of a single item, whether stacked or not. In other words, it will only "see" and give a signal for a single bar of silver, not the pile itself. This in turn makes extreme depth even harder. The claims of 40 ft depths from some of these vendors is very misleading. Unless every bar of silver of a massive pile is fused together, or unless there is a Sherman tank beneath you, you just won't get those extreme depths. I know this is not what people want to hear, but I have used these machines in the field extensively along with others who were determined to know the truth of these machines. They are great for finding an ammo box or pot lid for a cache buried a few feet. They will find good stuff that a regular VLF machine will not. But deep buried treasure on land or sea? Hardly.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Darren, you may be correct. I purchased a pulse star ll from Kellyco many years ago.
I bought it because the manufacturer claimed it would find a cannon from 40 ft. away, using the one meter search coil.
I've dug up some objects on the beach that were buried 4 ft, with the 18 inch search coil. The unit claimed the object was non ferrous. The objects turned out to be non ferrous soda cans.
Using the one meter coil underwater?
This unit was always correct on whether the artifact was ferrous or non ferrous.
It also detected the silver bar that was buried under 3 feet of sand from a distance a lot greater than 3 ft.

And as far as the other non ferrous readings that I got near the single bar. Heck that could have been an 80 ft aluminum boat for all I know, because it was also buried under the sand.

That's why I always tell others to do their own survey to see if anything of value is there.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Darren, I tested Old Man's Pulse Star ll on an air shot before taking it out. I first aimed it at a tractor sitting in the yard and it registered as ferrous. I then walked over to my aluminum pontoon boat and it registered as non-ferrous. Questions?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll have to say if you're going to have one, go with the Pulse Star II - it is unmatched in performance and has the best discrimination. No argument there. Most guys buy the cheaper units. A tractor and a pontoon boat perfectly prove my Sherman tank point above. It will definitely work on objects of that size. The problem is that most guys aren't looking for buried objects that size. Most guys hope to find a chest or stash of gold. So I stand by my point - especially regarding the surface area of a single item. Looking for a pontoon boat under a sandbar? Go for it. Looking for a pile of silver bars? Good luck. I have no desire to win an argument, nor do I wish to rain on anyone's parade. I simply am sharing my experience and hope it will prevent false leads. As always, bring as many tools as you can for verification.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Darren, machines break down and do not work. Humans sometimes break down too.

The important thing in my Life is Friendship. At the end of the day, that is all I really care About.
Take care my friend.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amen, Ed. Amen, indeed.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Old man, years ago you gave me clues to a very important shipwreck.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a covert OP in the making.....:skullflag: 8-)

Sometimes I regret having a good career I can't walk away from. Skydiving, scuba diving, boating, night ops, infil and exfil ops, surveillance.... I have so many skills from my army days which could be of use here, and they just languish away.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those are good skills for a cook! Way to go.. Your needed, come to the cookout. ( even if it's just to punch me?)

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good skills for a cook! Way to go.. Your needed, come to the cookout. ( even if it's just to punch me?)

Hahaha! I was almost a cook! Then I woke up and decided Infantry would be more fun. I was such a stupid kid! I wish I could come to the cookout, maybe I'll go jump out of a plane instead

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Old man, years ago you gave me clues to a very important shipwreck.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for that.
treasurerdiver, You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. Hope you make it to the cookout. Maybe we could sit down and swap sea stories.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old man. I want to thank you so much for the clues you are going to give me next week for wrecks really close to my house ( gas being expensive)...ha ha

ditto treasure diver, hope to see you next week....

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Sads669, if you want information about wrecks near your house? I suggest you contact Claudio Bonifacio or buy his book.
Either that or find out where that bell came from.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got his book and spoke to him via email, , he wants a flight ticket to come here to expand on any further info, ( from Spain!)

What is it with these "big shots" that won't give you any info unless you send 'em a ticket....sigh...ha ha."..

Ps book on loan to another treasure guy here, see I can be nice......

Last edited:

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
treasurerdiver, You're welcome. Glad I could be of help. Hope you make it to the cookout. Maybe we could sit down and swap sea stories.

Your information helped me to identify the shipwreck that we had found many years ago. Never made it back to the shipwreck though. It is still there, waiting for somebody to make good use of it.

Ah, to be young again and have the energy to go for it.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions