My book "Galleons and sunken treasure" is part of the catalog of AGI

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My book Galleons and sunken treasure is part of the catalog of AGI. This became a reality thanks to the efforts of editor and friend, Tyrrell Amstrong, and translator Lubos Kordac.

Archivo de Indias GAST.jpg

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Vox Veritas,

Old man and myself have the material, research etc. for a fantastic book.
This Spanish ship and it's shipwreck have a story like no other.

Would you want to write the book? Or could you recommend somebody else who would like to write the book?

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the book, it was great. Congratulations.

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vox Veritas,

Old man and myself have the material, research etc. for a fantastic book.
This Spanish ship and it's shipwreck have a story like no other.

Would you want to write the book? Or could you recommend somebody else who would like to write the book?

I can write it and seek further information or additional information that I have on my personal archive.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Treasurediver, I would have no problem helping in any way I can with material for a book.
I just have one request. Please PM me and give me some details on which wreck you are talking about and who you are. I don't remember your name from the alias.
I blame that on getting old and forgetful.
Either pm me or look me up at the cookout.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Treasurediver, I would have no problem helping in any way I can with material for a book.
I just have one request. Please PM me and give me some details on which wreck you are talking about and who you are. I don't remember your name from the alias.
I blame that on getting old and forgetful.
Either pm me or look me up at the cookout.

Honestly, I am not even sure that I am talking to the right person either.
Here is the story:

many years ago I had some communication with a man who was interested in the famous silver bars that Drake dumped in the sea off the coast of Ecuador. I don't even remember if I met personally with the man (sorry, I lost the index to my memory), or if we only communicated by email. When you talked about the Drake silver, I just remembered that some leads to documentation given me by that man, helped me identify the famous shipwreck in question, that we had located years before, but had not been able to properly identify as to it's nationality.

I am looking in my old email archives to find our communication. I am also digging up the pictures of the artifacts that we recovered to bring them to the cook-out. We never dug on the wrecksite, it is in deep mud. The few artifacts were found with the metal detector, arm deep in the mud.
Anyway, the story of this ship is well documented, but the documents are little known to the public, so I thought it would make a nice book. I am too old to go treasure hunting myself, so all I can do is to pass on the information to all these sites that I never went back to, to somebody who will make good use of them.

The cook-out could be a good spot to find people who are capable to organize a good project.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Treasurediver, thanks for refreshing my memory. Yes, you found the right old man.

Since I had given info on other wreck sites to people, I was not sure which wreck it was that you were talking about.
Looking forward to seeing you at the cookout.

The mud was deep there. I think that is what kept people from finding it before.
I remember watching a guy from Texas attempt to find it with a barge and steam shovel bucket. He came close, but he stopped digging before he got to the right spot.
I was up on the cliff with 2 SF guys watching the guy work.
I think the blue footed birds thought we were intruding on their nesting grounds.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Honestly, I am not even sure that I am talking to the right person either.
Here is the story:

many years ago I had some communication with a man who was interested in the famous silver bars that Drake dumped in the sea off the coast of Ecuador. I don't even remember if I met personally with the man (sorry, I lost the index to my memory), or if we only communicated by email. When you talked about the Drake silver, I just remembered that some leads to documentation given me by that man, helped me identify the famous shipwreck in question, that we had located years before, but had not been able to properly identify as to it's nationality.

I am looking in my old email archives to find our communication. I am also digging up the pictures of the artifacts that we recovered to bring them to the cook-out. We never dug on the wrecksite, it is in deep mud. The few artifacts were found with the metal detector, arm deep in the mud.
Anyway, the story of this ship is well documented, but the documents are little known to the public, so I thought it would make a nice book. I am too old to go treasure hunting myself, so all I can do is to pass on the information to all these sites that I never went back to, to somebody who will make good use of them.

The cook-out could be a good spot to find people who are capable to organize a good project.
Treasurediver, I believe we communicated by email and never met in person.
I'm looking forward to meeting you and working on the book together with Claudio.

To quote Sads669, You are going to be one of the original Band of Brothers for the Drake project. Aquanaut and Salvor6 will probably be the easiest guys to find at the cookout. Look for one of them and we can meet and put this together. Since I firmly believe we are the only two to know the resting place of the wreck.

I am sure that your PM box will be full of requests for that information. Save your information for the book and Band of Brothers meeting at the cookout.
Can't wait to meet you.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Treasure diver,

Any chance of posting the photos in case you don't make the cookout? ( if you make it to the cookout, I'll trade you a photo of a bell and a waitress for them, ha ha)

I would love to see the photos, if you can find em......it would be great to see "arm deep in mud artifacts," like being back in the military, diving in muddy harbours trying to find stuff. ..ha ha....

if you can't find the photos what did you manage to find in the mud? Always cool to hear?
All the best
K

Last edited:

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Treasure diver,

Any chance of posting the photos in case you don't make the cookout? ( if you make it to the cookout, I'll trade you a photo of a bell and a waitress for them, ha ha)

I would love to see the photos, if you can find em......it would be great to see "arm deep in mud artifacts," like being back in the military, diving in muddy harbours trying to find stuff. ..ha ha....

if you can't find the photos what did you manage to find in the mud? Always cool to hear?
All the best
K

About showing the photos here: This ship was an immense loss for the Spanish empire. The way the Spanish are about their shipwrecks, I do not feel comfortable to show any artifacts in public. I will send them by email, if you convince me that you can keep a secret.

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to the cookout, but I make you a deal:

You seem to be full of energy and determination. You know how to dive and how to stick your hand into the mud.
But, are you capable of organizing a BIG shipwreck project? Are you capable of getting a working crew together? Are you capable of getting a management team together that makes a good impression with serious financiers?

It needs a big team to handle a BIG shipwreck. To raise the funds, all the i's need their dots and all the t's need to be crossed. Show me you are capable and I show you a handful of BIG shipwrecks.

What do I mean with BIG?

I mean a BIG, fantastic story.
I mean 3,000,000 dollars in the year 1800. Probably about 25% in gold coins and the rest in silver coins. (statement of survivors and eye witnesses)
Or another shipwreck with tons of gold in ingots. (Again eye witness account)
Or another ship with tons of gold in gold coins, gold dust, and gold bars.
Or another ship with a chest of gold coins and some 125 chests of silver coins (a chest full is usually around 2000 Pieces Of Eight or the equivalent in weight in coins of smaller denominations, like 8000 pieces of 2 Reales)
Or another one (I really like the story of this one) with some 25 chests of silver coins and 2500oz in gold coins.
And others more.
But, lets go back to the Spanish shipwreck first mentioned. I asked Vox Veritas If he would like to write the book. I meant the view of the Spanish angle. Of course, the view, seen from the English angle is very different. So, in fact 2 books need to be written and they should be written before you make the find of the shipwreck public.
I say YOU make the find public, because I will lead you the it. That is, if you show me you are capable of handling it. (see above) I am too old to do it myself.

Enjoy yourself at the cookout. Make your contacts.

Next week I will show you the shipwreck by following the documentation trail. Step by step. Right to the spot, where I tell you: now stick your arm into the mud. You will need to do some reading, but I know you like to read.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow, that's a great invite, , I will PM you my email address.........if I can't pull this off for you " I know a man who can!

OP
OP
Vox veritas

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Claudio,
Congratulations, my friend! I am glad that I could be part of the English version. What happened with announced second part?

Lobo

Dear Friend,
for now I have obligations that lead me to other projects. But do not forget GAST 2.
Also, write a book like GAST requires many hours of historical research, cost of photocopying and patience. I have all references for the best wrecks of colonial history of Spain, that because I researched many years.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Treasurediver,
As you know, logistics present a great challenge. If we were to put a team and assets together, we would need to know roughly where in the world we are talking about.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Let's Chat Saturday, I have some info for you, John.

Last edited:

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Treasurediver,
As you know, logistics present a great challenge. If we were to put a team and assets together, we would need to know roughly where in the world we are talking about.

aquanut,

excellent question. I mentioned a few shipwrecks. They are spread out over some distance, but in relative easy conditions.
Today, the problems are not so much technical, but more of how to organize it so as to make a good bottom line. (Remember what happened with the "Mercedes") Any shipwreck excavation is a costly affair. To raise the necessary funds, we must show how the financiers get their money back and enough incentive to consider the risk worth wile.

However, the funding is only a part of the whole business. There are many other parts that need to be organized that cost not much in cash, but more in time. How do we handle these, so that each one gets his or her fair share?

So what I propose to do, is to take a Spanish shipwreck that we have found already, as a test piece. If we can make it work, (financially, economically) we have a system that can be applied to all other valuable shipwrecks.
This shipwreck is shallow, but protected by a deep layer of mud. It is a ship that presented an immense loss to the Spanish Empire.

So, lets see if we can find a formula that satisfies everybody involved, to develop this project.

A good project has only winners, no losers.

EVERY PROBLEM IS ALSO AN OPPORTUNITY

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So what I propose to do, is to take a Spanish shipwreck that we have found already, as a test piece.

Treasurediver, by this do you mean you already have the rights to it? Can Spain legitimately claim it? Is it in territorial waters or int'l waters? Has it been confirmed yet that is it the vessel in question? Generally speaking, where is it? Caribbean? South America? etc. Great idea if the right team can be put together. I believe old man has been trying this.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Let's chat about this at the weekend and get a discussion going with everyone cc'd on regular email. That way no lurkers get to benefit by being " lurkers".......

The NSA will be listening in but that's ok cos....I LOVE AMERICA.......( that should do it, right?)

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Let's chat about this at the weekend and get a discussion going with everyone cc'd on regular email. That way no lurkers get to benefit by being " lurkers".......

The NSA will be listening in but that's ok cos....I LOVE AMERICA.......( that should do it, right?)
sads669, You are right about Governments listening. Don't just think it is from the USA either.
Over 30 years ago I was in a foreign Country and had made a call back to the US for some team members to be on a flight to help with a diving problem.
I waited outside the exit of the airport for the team members to come out through customs. My Team members were the last 2 guys out. There were what appeared to be a number of Government Officials also waiting after all the other passengers left the area.
I say this because. We had a 4 hour drive to our Hotel on the Coast. The next day a junior Military Officer came to the Hotel to see me. He ask me if I would go with him to Military HQ's in Town. I went with him and spoke to his Commanding Officer. ( I don't know who they thought I was, but I had the shock of my life. )
The Commanding Officer told me that the Country we were in, in South America was having a border war with the Country next to them. They ask me if I could get my Superiors in the USA Government to sell them shoulder fired missiles to bring down helicopters from the other Country. They then ask me if I was willing to go to the Capitol to talk to one of their Generals about his. I told them I would be coming back to their Country in a month and I would let them know. Every time I came back to that Country for the next 2 years. This same Junior Officer tracked me down to my hotel and ask the same question.

So for everyone out there. Don't think that Uncle Sam is the only one that monitors our communications.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread