MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/female-pirates-not-a-myth/ar-AAb7zym

The history of piracy is full of clichés. Thanks to classics like Treasure Island and blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean, the word “pirate” still conjures the image of a rugged British man with an eye patch, a parrot and a horrid accent. Yet the world’s most successful buccaneer might have been Chinese — and a woman.

Ching Shih — also known as Cheng I Sao — instilled fear in the hearts of merchants across the China Sea in the early 19th century. During her relatively short run as a pirate lord — only about a decade — this ruthless and cunning woman went from being a prostitute to commanding the famous “Red Flag Fleet” and sending hundreds of thousands of men into battle.

She was a prostitute in one of Canton’s floating brothels when pirates captured her at age 26. To her surprise, she was asked to marry one of them, Cheng Ch’i, who belonged to a long and famous dynasty of sea thieves. From then onwards, they were partners in bed and business. With her help, Cheng Ch’i managed to assemble one of the largest and most dangerous fleets in China.

But only six years later, Cheng Ch’i died in a typhoon and his wife Ching Shih skillfully maneuvered to replace him. The mourning widow rushed to secure the support of her late-husband’s family and chose his protégé, 21-year-old Chang Pao, as her lieutenant, right hand and lover.

Ching Shih was strict and controlling, requiring written application to her for all kinds of actions. She issued her own code of laws and enforced them severely. Crewmembers were not allowed to steal from the loot or the villagers — at risk of losing their heads — and female captives were to be released. At least the unattractive ones; if they were beautiful, they could be kept as concubines or wives. But pirates had to be faithful to their spouses and those who raped or hit female prisoners without permission were sentenced to death.

Following the great tradition of the Empress Wu Zetian, who ruled China from 690 to 705, Ching Shih was ruthless. Her goal was profit and anyone who defied her direct orders or tried to impose their own were beheaded on the spot. She was also notorious for chopping off the ears of her enemies or those who tried to desert her fleet. And, despite her experience as a prostitute, she owned a vast and lucrative chain of brothels.

At the height of her success, Ching Shih’s pirate armada boasted 1,600 ships, and she commanded more than 70,000 male and female pirates, spies and suppliers. Her sphere of influence stretched from the waters of the South China Sea through much of Guangdong Province and she even had spies working within the ruling Qing Dynasty. The Qing emperor, Jiaqing, raised a large fleet of ships against her to no avail. After several failed attempts, the Chinese navy enlisted Portuguese, British and Dutch ships for help. But even they could not sink the Red Flag Fleet.

In 1810, the Emperor finally capitulated and offered her and most of her followers amnesty in exchange for abandoning their bloody trade. For Ching Shih, the timing was perfect, as serious internal differences over spoils and women had already started splintering her organization. She signed a treaty agreeing to dismantle her fleet in exchange for freedom and the right to keep their loot. She even received the noble title of “Lady by Imperial Decree.”

After marrying Chang Pao, who joined the Chinese navy as a captain, she went on to retire at the ripe age of 35. The queen of the pirates then had a child, opened a brothel and lived a comfortable life until she died, aged 69, a wealthy aristocrat. Her name has been largely forgotten, but her infamous legacy still lives today on the pirate-infested waters of the South China Sea.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would make one hell of a tattoo. A Chinese chick/Pirate? I would have my artist draw her with a sultry look on her face. I picture something like a geisha girl with alluring eyes, and weapons on her belt. hmmm....

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wikipedia crap.. " in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000-40,000 pirates" There is no way in the 1800's a women had this power over 40,000 men .. just more Hollywood crap!!! Might as well say a Black man was the first secret service agent. Oooo wait .. Will Smith played in Wild Wild West LOL

Just my opinion......

Wikipedia can not be used as a resource for reliable information. Please post a Britannica, or other reliable source.. not open source ...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great story MPH. Yes, I read about Ching Shih long ago but it's great to be reminded again. The other great female pirates were Anne Bonney and Mary Read.

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
I love a great story,, well said. Uncle Jeff, ??? This is a forum dedicated to open-mindedness and creative thinking. I don't mean to pull on you but personally, I find value in others regardless of gender or race. Sometimes I find that a person may even offer no value to society at all so I simply move away from that person. That person, NOT groups of people. Wake up,there's awhile world full if beautiful people and it's fascinating. Don't be that person

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since Madame Cheng didn't come along until the 19th century, she's one of the LAST known female pirates. There were lots before her. My favorite is Mary Read - her story led me to find out about the 1715 wrecks & all of you who dive their treasures.

There is much documentation about other female pirates. Grace O'Malley (16th C.) is probably most famed/fabled. No doubt there is a mix of truth & legend in every story.

Last edited:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - and Joan of Arc lead the French Army in battle wielding a sword - It's all incorrect. You have to use a little common sense and think about the time period and how people lived.
Bay Pirate - This forum is dedicated to open mindedness, could we just say it's open to lies, untruths and tall tales?
People need to remember that most all stories of great men or women are exaggerated to make it more interesting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread