Bell of Santa Maria Columbus trip to America

Claudio

Apr 29, 2007
About the C.Columbus bell

As having indicated in my book Galleons with treasures, with Mr. Roberto Mazzara, presumed discoverer of the Santa María's presumed bell, I don't have any link or agreements or contracts signed with him.

Mr. Mazzara is not authorized to use the historical documents for the auction of this bell because these documents are aided by copyright.

http://search.ebay.com/Bell-of-the-Nao-Santa-Maria-C-Columbus_W0QQsacat

http://www.columbus-bell.com/pdf/hist_doc.pdf

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Well, I guess all he has to do is refer anybody to your posting here. I am not sure I understand exactly which of the documents are copyrighted and by whom: most of them seem to be from the Spanish archives, and while they might theoretically be protected from reproduction, it is hardly likely that the Spanish Government would try to enforce that position if they were being used as documentary evidence for the bell itself. Sorry, but I have not read your book, so maybe I am missing something.

ps: Doesn't look as if he is going to get any takers at $20 million. Seems a strange way to sell such an important artifact (if it is genuine) but when somebody on E-Bay is willing to pay $10 million for a car that was used in the Dukes of Hazard TV series, it just shows that some people have more money than sense.

Mariner

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Claudio,

I still do not understyand:

Quote from page 18 of the catalogue:

"Historical Research at the Archive of the Indies and at the Archive of Simancas was carried
out by Claudio Bonifacio, who holds copyright on the documents referring to the location
of the San Salvador shipwreck."

If the documents are part of the archive material, I do not understand how you can have acquired the copyright to them. Did you specifically purchase the copyright from the Spanish Government? I would be amazed if it was their policy to do this.

Mariner.

OP
OP
C

Claudio

Apr 29, 2007
mariner, my book Galleons with treasures has 95% of primary source of documents from several archives. This doesn't mean that I have copyright for the documents, but yes of the text of the book. The same thing happens with the story of the galleon San Salvador shipwrecked in Buarcos (Portugal) and other San Salvador shipwrecked in Carrapateira beach (Portugal) in 1555. I published an article in a diver magazine in 1990

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/shiplab/projects ca index.htm

and later on two portuguese divers found the jetsam. Mazzara says that he found the other one in Buarcos with the bell. For this article and my book, and to have signed an agreement with Mazzara, having contributed new documents, the house of auctions prepared a catalouge. I am entitled the copyright and the intellectual property of the story.
Bob Marx, without we know how, gives these ships more other ship, lost in 1556 in the coast of Florida. Mystery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions