Polly L

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I am now officially working with Amelia Research on the Polly L
DiverLynn

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/NEWS01/705080335

Treasure hunters take a dive
Ocean calm, clear along area beaches

BY LINDA JUMP
FLORIDA TODAY
May 7, 2007

Looking for something.The treasure recovery ship Polly-L sits off the coast just south of Melbourne Beach looking for ships that wrecked hundreds of years ago. The Polly-L is owned by Amelia Research and is a subcontractor for Mel Fisher Enterprises. Michael R. Brown, FLORIDA TODAY
See treasure
# Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum, 1322 U.S. 1, Sebastian. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Cost is $6.50 per adult, $5 for senior and $2 for children 6 to 12 years old. Brevard, Indian River and St. Lucie County residents can get a fan club card and return for $1.
# McLarty Treasure Museum, State Road A1A, south of and part of Sebastian Inlet State Park. Open 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. Last movie is shown at 3:15 p.m. Admission is $1 for those older than 6.

MELBOURNE BEACH - After a 15-year absence, longtime treasure hunter Rex Stocker slipped into clear, still waters last week to search for bounty from a Spanish fleet that sank in 1715 heavy with gold and silver, priceless porcelain and the still-undiscovered queen's jewels.

For three days, Stocker and another diver brought up encrusted iron material that could be fasteners, tools or rigging from a ship -- or possibly something more valuable. A magnetometer shows them where to look, and a new type of boat digs the holes on the ocean floor that the men explore.

"I thought I might be lucky again, but everything is encrusted so we don't know yet," Stocker, 64, said.

May 1 opened the treasure-hunting season along the Space and Treasure coasts, and divers are off to a good start with flat-calm conditions in the water, noted Taffi Fisher Abt, daughter of the late famed treasure hunter Mel Fisher, although recent rains are keeping divers temporarily at port. Some seasons, storms and murky water keep divers at bay until later in the summer.

On his first day out April 28 in the clearest water he's seen in years, John Brandon recovered eight silver coins off Douglas Beach in Fort Pierce south of Brevard County. He's found a total of 19 so far. He's also found pottery shards, a piece from a silver plate, musket balls and severalunidentified encrusted objects.

Experts say there's still plenty of bounty undiscovered. The items that Stocker and other divers recovered will be returned to a restoration shop next to Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum in Sebastian.

Stocker, a Sebastian resident, was part of a group of eight engineers and scientists who lived around Cape Canaveral who spent weekends diving for treasure before going into business with Mel Fisher Treasures. It was Stocker who, in 1962, handed Fisher his first gold coins.

Mel Fisher and his associates and subcontractors have recovered jewels and jewelry, swords and weapons, household and personal items, porcelain and barrels of gold and silver coins from the 1715 fleet.

The dozen or so Spanish wooden ships picked up treasures from Mexico, South America and the Caribbean annually and met in Cuba. They were returning home when they were dashed in a storm south of Sebastian Inlet.

Abt said this season, Fisher's Treasure has 15 subcontractors. "I promised a bottle of Atocha gold rum to the person who finds the most treasure. We have hundreds and hundreds of magnetometer hits (showing iron objects under the ocean) and I don't have enough boats to find out what they all are," she said.

Stocker is diving from the
Polly-L, a four-story, $2.3 million ship with three legs that stretch to the ocean floor and lift the 200-ton craft as high as 68 feet. That means the ship isn't as affected by waves and weather.

Stocker is one of three founders of Amelia Research, which operates the Polly-L and serves as a Fisher subcontractor.

"We've been finding artifacts every day," said Doug Pope, captain of the Polly-L. "We just don't know what they are yet."

Larry Soper, who sunbathes and fishes nearly daily at the beach, said he often watches the Polly-L from shore.

"We thought it was dredging," Soper said. Others thought the ship was an oil rig.

Ed Perry, who oversees the McLarty Treasure Museum that is part of Sebastian Inlet State Park, said last week he saw the first divers in the water behind the museum. "The water is clear and I can see all the in-shore reefs. It's perfect weather to start the season," he said.

An area behind the museum is believed to be the sight of the flagship and it's where 1,500 survivors camped.

"There's still a lot of interest in the 1715 treasure. The story stays alive with the salvaging efforts," he said.

Abt said other members of the "Fisher family" are working with John Brandon to learn the ropes. Her son Joshua Abt, after running the magnetometer last year, is now diving and her son-in-law David Waton, is also diving for the first time. Her daughter, Nicole Fisher Abt Watson, is running the Fisher Museum.

"They're learning from the best, and we're bringing in the next generation to take over the business," Abt said.

Attachments

• Polly L.jpg
    Polly L.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,397

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Tom,
Only about 4 days! Actually I have a second job as a personal assistant when I am "beached" due to weather, like right now. Heading down this afternoon to get some cool photos of the Polly L in the high seas.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you can't keep a good wo(man) down as the old saying goes. ;D ;D ;D Ivan

OP
OP
mnm

mnm

May 17, 2006
Thanks DiverLynn, I had this idea yesterday to hit the beaches cause of the rough surf conditions and noticed that the Polly 'L' was back in a previous location . Just thought to myself , maybe that would be a good area to search. Perhaps I can make it there this evening after work and try again. Seas were a bit to rough , hopefully I will find treasure one day but wish you guys the best . :)

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
MNM,
That's my plan also while I have some down time. On the beachside of New Smyrna Beach right now and the surf is roaring, might check out the south beach area in the next few days.
Good luck to you too.
DiverLynn

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Nice shot of the rig, interesting thing is you have a raw water intake (pesumably on one of the legs) and a stready flow of waste water exausting into the ocean, what is happening to your sewerage?

A very big thing every time I have had a rig within a couple of miles of the shore let alone on the beach, (and yes we did have a lot of people onboard every time).

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Not sure but I believe there are sewage holding tanks. The water you see is the coolant while running the blowers which are in the water in the photo above.

Check out the photos below of the seas yesterday. Heading back out tomorrow.

Diverlynn

Attachments

• Polly L 13.jpg
    Polly L 13.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,609

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
For all of you following us on the Polly L.
Doug has decided to mount a web cam on the deck so you can view our progress in real time. Will let you know when it happens.
Diverlynn

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I'm almost 100% sure that the pollyL is 100% self contained, meaning they have a desalition unit (fresh water maker) and a sewage treatment processor. These vessels are regulary check by the USCG, and must be up to standards.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Photos from the Polly L during "Barry", thats my son helping us get groceries out to the boat. He will be coming on as a diesel mechanic apprentice, how cool is that? He's only 16 and knows his way around engines pretty good for a kid. He is (of course) also a certified diver.
We began digging Tuesday or Wednesday

Diverlynn

Attachments

• junebarry.jpg
    junebarry.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • junebarry.jpg
    junebarry.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,314
  • junekylegroceries.jpg
    junekylegroceries.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,339

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Melbourne Update:
Well, been a busy week. With this great weather we have been pushing it. Working some of the Fisher's mag hits in some of the worst clay I've ever seen (or should I say felt!) Dark gray clay holes, zero vis but we have found pieces of a a very deteriorated pewter platter. We all are taking a couple of days off to re-coop and get back at it later in the week. We will have a slide presentation at Pegleg's show so please drop by.
Diverlynn

photos
Scott on top of a berm
Moon of the Treasure Gods
Phil (weekend warror) enjoying the shuttle launch up top

Attachments

• may052.jpg
    may052.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,236
  • may009.jpg
    may009.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • may033.jpg
    may033.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,271

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Lynn,

Is this isolated or does it cover a wide area?

I have read that the chinese porcelain was packed in this dark kind of clay for shipping. You may be very close!

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Robert,
The clay covers quite a bit of area, we found it on several target areas. We moved in shore but came in contact with more. Much different than about a mile north where we were working last week. We plan to move out to deeper water as soon as I get back and do some large searches before blowing holes. I think next week will give us a much better idea of where to concentrate on. Still no work on the items delivered to the Fishers for identifying.
Diverlynn

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Thanks for keeping us posted on whats going on. Im excited for you all and hope you find the mother load. Love to hear about your day to day hunting stories no matter how trivial you might think they are.
Good luck, be safe!
malady

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Had a few minutes and wanted to post a couple of our recent photos.
Diverlynn

Attachments

• 073107.jpg
    073107.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 0707.jpg
    0707.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,040

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Diver Lynn, you are the best! I love the top photo.
It was a pleasure to meet you at the expo. You have a wonderful outgoing and bubbly personality mixed with so much diving knowledge. Loved your display.
I was in awe at what was displayed there by everyone.
I can't remember the names of the people at the first 2 tables.Darling little Baby and sweet little girl that I just know is going to grow up to be a diver.
Anyway, Rusty had me believing that you hired him and he was going to work for Amelia Research. What you do and the Polly L had really fascinated him.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Rusty's Mate,
It was also a pleasure to meet you both and everyone else. I wish I could invite everyone to come out and dive with us but liabilities won't allow it. We do allow tours and to just come out and visit, you are most certainly invited.
Can't wait til next years show, I am sure there will be a huge crowd wanting to participate. I am so glad we did.
I now have internet service on the boat so nights will not be so boring. We are located about 5 miles north of Sebastian Inlet within 100' of the beach. Looks like I may be heading to Beaufort N.C. for a couple of weeks on a new site. Don't know much yet.

Later all you treasure trolls!!

Diverlynn

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
So, diver Lynn. If we want a tour we have to swim out to the boat. ;D Glad you got the PowerPoint working. Loved your display.
Good luck
Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread