Finding shallow water ( less than 100ft) shipwrecks with google earth, BS or not?

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Barney, speak English....ha ha, sorry but you lost me at 100ft,

I will gladly send you the 4 mile by 4 mile location if you fancy some fun, it's in 70 to 80 ft......warm clear tropical water?

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA

I will gladly send you the 4 mile by 4 mile location if you fancy some fun, it's in 70 to 80 ft......warm clear tropical water?

Satellite or any aerial imagery will be limited primarily due to issues with water clarity, but also time of day (angle of sun) and other factors. In any case, you would be lucky to see a significantly large wreck in clear water deeper than 30-40'. If it's a small ballast pile, less (like 20'), particularly if you have coral habitat nearby. You can sometimes spot wrecks due to the sand halo around it, such as when a wreck is in seagrass. But again, this is shallow water. You might get a few more feet if it was a large wreck with relief on a white sand bottom. Spotting wrecks in anything close to 100' of water using satellite imagery is unlikely.
Also consider most of the available imagery does not extend out that far, as it's of little interest to most users.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in the '60s and '70s during the peak of the cold war the U.S. claimed we have spy satellites that can read the license plate of a car on the streets of Moscow. That was 40-50 years ago. What do you think we have now? LIDAR is a type of Laser/Radar that can penetrate water and see below the sand. It can pick out individual coins but can't read the dates! Synthetic aperature radar, Sir-C can do the same thing but these are not available to the public. It is top secret and available only to the CIA and Homeland Security. The National Geographic Society was granted use to search for the lost city of Ur in Saudi Arabia. They found it buried under sand.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Ivan, I new you would Ring in on the Topic with some Good Information. Doug,Judy and I will be arriving at Ft Clich next week, I'm due in on Friday-goldnugget--Charlotte

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can work if you get the right historical image for good water clarity, do a good job of enlarging/cropping the images, use a large enough flat screen on the computer. Then only certain wrecks will show up, even if searching an area full of shipwrecks.

First photo has GE satellite image on right compared with on the left side, a wreck found by someone else in the shipwreck board here using underwater scan equipment.

Attachments

• Key_West_site-A1LG.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1LG.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Key_West_site-A1.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Key_West_site-A1close.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1close.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Key_West_site-A1closeX.jpg
    Key_West_site-A1closeX.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 1C2compare.png
    1C2compare.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My thoughts- worth just what they cost ya:
There are many well documented wrecks in the Keys in pretty clear, pretty shallow water. Look at your satellite images of known sites to learn what to look for.
It strikes me that an iron wreck in shallow water would absorb more solar heat than the surrounding bottom structure and might be seen using thermal imaging equipment for some period after sunset, until the stored heat is dissipated into the surrounding water.
I do not believe or disbelieve the stories of this or that that technology that can see into the ground or under the water or into the ground under the water, but the only guy that has come to me with that kind of claim couldn't come up with the money to pay me to drive my little boat 30 miles and blow a hole on his "exact coordinates" and recover a "Guaranteed 10 lbs of gold". Hard to imagine how he might have been able to afford such information, but not be able to put together a few hundred bucks to go out there and retrieve a couple hundred grand.
I am now putting my few remaining brain cells back into an idle condition for the night.

ropesfish -over and out :skullflag:

Bill Black
Blue Ocean Enterprises
Sebastian, FL

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using GE since its release to look for potential dive points.
I would "pinpoint" anomalies and such...
Then after awhile I booted GE ... and parts of the Florida coastline were almost solid yellow... heh

I had so many points marked I could hardly see some areas anymore...
There are so many "things" in the water...
you can drive yourself nuts looking in some areas.
BUT...
I will say this...
At least ten + spots look REALLY good...
and make sense...
and no... I have not dove them... YET :)

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks everyone for all the info, I think it's gonna be either getting dragged around or a mag to find the wreck at 70 ft.......

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Sled

Build yourself something like that. You cover 5 times more area in the same time with it.

Attachments

• Sled.jpg
    Sled.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 100

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How are you doing SADS 669 on the search? if you want to let me play around with the Google Earth some, I've got software to bring the map details in real close. A PM with a gps starting point of the general area, would be all I'd need....do my own looking around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red, send me a normal email address I'll send you a screen shot of the area, thanks you are a champion, I don't care what anyone says ha ha,......

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bring the image into photoshop. There are several effects with the colors that can be used to enhance the image and perhaps notice something with different colors and/or thresholds.

In addition, there are several commercial satellite operations that have imaging available. Digital Globe Bahamas

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, send me a normal email address I'll send you a screen shot of the area, thanks you are a champion, I don't care what anyone says ha ha,......
Check your PMs. :occasion14:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
google earth if one scans areas with clear water and white sand bottoms ...can be used to find shallow water "near shore" wrecks .. the sunlight filtering thru the water will reflect on the white sand bottom revealing any wrecks by backlighting them ...I know this for a fact ...did it several times myself now the 100 foot bit might be a bit too deep but shallow "near shore" waters for sure --and since google EARTH seldom records just "empty ocean" but rather does land --you must scan the shoreline and check out the near by shallow water recorded by "accident" basically

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't able to get any historical maps in GE for this location, only can work with live satellite (from NASA) but zooming down to to close the clouds keep moving getting in your way.

Attachments

• Image1B.jpg
    Image1B.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Getting some help from a satellite expert, gonna go look at some numbers next week?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread