Shipwrecks

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Two days ago the ebay bids closed on a Quantro magnetometerfor $999.95. Glad I could help.

I almost bought it but told myself, no buying anything until the boat is running right.

Last edited:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck buddy!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoo, glad you corrected your question in the thread. IF you were looking for a MAN-O-METER I thought maybe you had decided to go after the lads instead of the lasses!

Being in a hurry can be expensive. If you are patient, I have seen a number of the come up for sale here on the classifieds over the years. You might also check craigslist for the closest portion of the US to you. When I see them, it seems they are usually selling ALL their search gear (like a TH going-out-of-business sale).

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Jason,

can't say I am in the Manometer business but hey send a photo,

I'll put it up next to the one of the waitress that SENT ME 3 PHOTOS OF THE BELL!!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Any advice on what small magnetometer I should go after would be appreciated.

I am looking for a 200 ft long ship in 70 to 80 ft of water and of course cannons anchors etc in shallower depths...

The search begins.....
I know where you can find a womanometer. BVI has one. I kind of worry about a guy that wants a manometer.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Git !! Which is code for wanker....

Last edited:

Roofis

Dec 26, 2014
Mount Dora
Detector(s) used
Whites, aqua scan,Geometrics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Git !! Which is code for wanker....
Do you plan on keeping this mag and making it your own? Or do you just want to use it and get rid of it.2 different answers. And to quote Stephan Sakora. " it's the man behind the mag .any mag can find a cannon , can you find the cannon ball" all this means you gotta learn how to use/read results. I bought a test model882 from Geometrics for just over 10 k. It's one of the best things I ever bought. You can call them ask for George and see if they have any bench , rentals for sale. It's the best u can buy and they will teach you how to use it

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A good CHIRP sidescan sonar/fishfinder should locate something that big at +/- 200 feet of horizontal distance. I believe my Humminbird 998 would paint a picture of that. What sort of bottom conditions, Kevin?
A Geometrics for $10K-ish and a good latest-tech sidescan and you'll still have change from your $20,000 bill. A few weeks of watching them and learning to relate what you see on the screen with what is on the bottom and you're in bidness, mon.
Like boats, you can never have too many electronic devices. Until you have to fix them.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tie 50 pounds of lead on Archie, give him a big magnet and drop him off the stern with 200' of rope.

When the rope get's tight you know he found something big and ferrous.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tie 50 pounds of lead on Archie, give him a big magnet and drop him off the stern with 200' of rope.

When the rope get's tight you know he found something big and ferrous.
or that the water was 220' deep. :)

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Roofis, Ropes and GIB, I am trying to find a cheap way to pull off this find. If I bring in a Mag the customs will hit me either 42 or 65% even on a rental. I will probably have to borrow one that is already in the bahamas or bite the bullet if a good mag is not the price of a new car.

The main issue for me is that I am 50/50 whether it's there at all for various reasons....sigh

I love the idea of Dragging Archie around the reef. The seabed is a scoured 4 mile by 4 mile bar, a sea mount, dragging him is a good idea, he would probably see it that way in decent Viz...

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Finding someone who will admit that they have a mag in a place as hostile to treasure hunting as present-day Bahamas might be harder than finding the ship.
A 200' ship sunk within a 4 mile x 4 mile area of scoured seamount in Bahamian clear water 60-100 feet deep.
At least you are dealing with clear water.
I'd bet a couple of dollars that the US or British Navy already knows if it is there. Something that big would show up on their sonar like a church steeple on the beach, and it would be valuable for them to not be surprised by a big metal object on the sea floor. Know anyone that drives a sub or a naval vessel? They have better charts than us.
The term "scoured seamount' would suggest a lot of current, which can make towing a fish or a suspended coil quite challenging.
Perusing every nav chart available, Navionics, paper charts and/or lists of fishing spots. Unless this is way, way out from any fishing areas, the local fishermen know of every rock more than 2 feet high simply because it may hold fish. The best kind of research -buying beers for information.
Staring at Google Earth and every satellite photo available online or from private imaging companies would be my second step. Does any governmental agency happen to do aerial surveys for any reason in that area? Conch or other fisheries conservation people may do some flyover surveys.
Would a big ticket electronic item be subject to the high Customs tariffs coming from some other country than the US? I believe there are some folks leaving Panama with all their gear..
Good luck, mon. If you find it, will ye be bringing the cases of Kalik to the Cookout next year?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread