Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: ship wreakage found---on little talbot island,fla

Ivan

How do you know it is a ship??? Just from the wooden pole stickin out?? It could be a bulkhead of an old pier man. What other parts did you see that could really make it a ship? I live nearby, got my shovel and some friends. Got to see if there is an credibility to this story.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

like I said ---it WAS uncovered and a "neat" thing to SEE since the area it is in is a "no metal deteectors" and a "do not distrub" the wreck zone ---all you can legally do is look around ::) who knows you might see some great stuff----until the storm uncovered it the wreck has laid there buried in the sand for many,many years--strong storms "surge"waves often uncover things ----the large waves "strip" the covering sand off the beaches and drag it into the sea---the sand normally settles just off shore thus exposing the wrecks and other beach goodies -the "trough" area between the beach and the sand bar can be loaded with goodies--"this is often the "motherlode" spot---over time the sea slowly replaces the sand back onto the beach---the timing varies on how long this will take---basically the"normal" seas wash the sand back to were it came from ---do not repeat do not "disturb" the wreck site by digging or messing with it---it has been reported by me to the state and is in a "do not" disturb zone and is being checked on---its just a "look at kind of thing"---do not loot or screw around with it----sorry that most of it covered back up by the time you got to it---there was plenty to see the ribs and botttom of the hull--- too bad it recovered ---I wish that I would have had my camera that day---damn but thats the way it goes---been busy and unable to get back there --- during the old style ship building the timbers have markings in them of a certain type bumt hole and dowel type contruction these marking are "plain" to the trained eye---folks who know what their looking at will see it for what it is---sadly you "look" at it but do not "see" it for what it is---this is no slam or insult in anyway about you ---just that you don't know yet what to look for or what your "seeing" at times ---this takes much time and effort to learn and sometimes even "so called" experts disagree on what this or that is or isn't---sorry you didn't catch her in her full uncovered glory---Ivan

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Ivan

Maybe the state will see that it is a ship and excavate? I have no doubts that there are shipwrecks on these islands. However we will never really know until it is dug up. Who knows, it could be a Spanish, French or even English warship or merchant ship? Or maybe just a fishermans ship...As you know all three countries battled it out on these islands. What do u think according to what you saw.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the differant countries used differant building methods at varoius times by noting the type of wood --the size of the boards and the way it was put together a ship can be aged or at least a rough time frame figgered out ---by what I saw very late 1600 to early- mid 1700's say 1680ish to about 1740 ish ---most likely spanish (based on a % basis---spain had the most ships in the area / although a lot of english were around the area and some dutch too) hard to get more exact with out testing the wood and finding wreckage items or coinage.---by the % basis the odds say spanish,english and then dutch --the french were not around that much in the area except the huguenot french that the spanish wiped out---after that disaster the french did not hang aorund much --with both the spainish and english already established in the northeast florida area---there was much back and forth battling between them over the area over the years esp. from 1700 to 1763

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Has anyone been out there recently? Is the wreck still exposed??

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800

Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to go.. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread