SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's gonna be really big with no chain anywhere near it and probably a very big ring on it too....

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anchor-to-ship.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyone know how long that anchor design was in use and whether or not it was off of one of the 1715 ships? The anchor I found is nearly identical to that one, stands 5-6 feet tall upright and about 4 feet across. Also has the same spade shaped hooks on the tips although one end is much smaller than the other.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Does anyone have an idea of the shape and size of the anchor that would have been on the San Miguel in the 1715 fleet? Might have found something worth diving.
Lago, here's a picture of the Spanish anchor that was found in Jupiter from the San Miguel in 1669. It looks closer to the size anchor you are asking about.

Attachments

• 40955db0619eebf478338fc2453bf05cc4592869.jpg
    40955db0619eebf478338fc2453bf05cc4592869.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 163
OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lago, here's a picture of the Spanish anchor that was found in Jupiter from the San Miguel in 1669. It looks closer to the size anchor you are asking about.

That anchor looks very similar as well. The limbs on the one I found are a bit longer and the ring for the chain is still intact but the size looks about the same. Assuming that there is actually a wreck on the site and it wasn't just a lost anchor am I looking at something from the late 17th early 18th century?

OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll see about taking some pictures next time I'm out there. Any suggestions for the best way to search the general area I found it in (boat towed magnetometer/handheld detector/etc)? It's in relatively shallow water.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lago... this depends...
First and foremost on the location...
Your location may be in an area which prohibits such activities...
Due to lease areas or other restrictions.

You should research this carefully before proceeding any further... in my opinion.

There are many members here that can assist this thread further by suggestions and advice...
These things can be very technical...
even though they seem very simple.

There are many "strings" attached to finding things in Florida waters... if in fact that is where you have found this anchor in question...
ALSO... you should be aware... that disturbance AND OR removal is against the law without a "permission" to do so.
There seems to be many of the 1715 fleet recovery crew(s) and or affiliates that frequent this website as well as MANY salvers...
Which can be used for and as a resource(s).

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures would be fine though... and very interesting.
Would love to see em. :)

OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ARRC

I'm just simply looking for now. It isn't inside of any of the lease areas near the cape. I'll have to do some research to see if there are any other restrictions placed on the area but as far as I know there aren't.

Does a permit need to be issued to scan the area with either detectors or a magnetometer without disturbing the bottom? I'd obviously want to make sure that there is actually a wreck there and it isn't just a lone anchor before I commit resources to acquiring a salvage permit. The similarities to the anchors recovered from the 1715 wrecks and the Spanish ship off of Jupiter as well as the general area that I found the anchor in leads me to believe that it could be one of the missing 1715 wrecks though.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen... I will tell you this much...
IF you in fact have found an anchor that even RESEMBLES the ones I posted pics of...
you have already hit what I would call an incredible find.

This COULD be a "lone" anchor that was deployed to "stop" the ship in a last ditch effort to avoid smashing aground...
This could be a PART of the whole enchilada as well...
First thing is ...
Go back...
Take pics...OR VIDEO....
Scan ENTIRE area... which could extend a football field or more... which will take several dives...
See if you can document anything ELSE... like "piles" ... Formations... other debri etc... ANYTHING... SEARCH :)
IF you see something else... photo it WELL.... not half arsed either... take good quality photos if poss.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing... see what else if anything else is there...anything...
Do not dig...
Do not remove...
Just explore.
When you get some more info on it... next step is in order.

Could just be an anchor that was lost for one reason or another.

Once you have "proof" of more... you will have people who have the "pull" to get to the next step... which would be metal mapping that area.

Too bad I wasn't there... one ride and I could tell ya if you were on a wreck or not :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First thing you do is get Archie's email address and converse there in a quiet way, then show us what you find after you find it......

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing at a time.
Go get pictures/video.

I am not "the guy" for your "plight"...
Just a guy who's trying to help.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone who knows what they are talking about and can be trusted is "the guy for anyone's plight" nice try Archie.....

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Lago, first I would do is find someone you trust with a side scan sonar that knows the East Coast of FL or the west coast. Wherever you found the anchor and then go side scan the area. If you don't know anyone with a Side scan sonar?
I would recommend that you pm either salvor6 or aquanut. And keep off tnet until you know what you have. Both of these guys are trustworthy and know the laws you will need to obey. If you're worried about trusting them? Have them sign a non disclosure.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ditto on the trust thing with these two guys. PM Old Man for others you can trust ( who he knows don't want to be mentioned in the open) too....

OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ARRC

Sounds good, I'll just do some looking for now.

OP
OP
L

Lago

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@old man

Getting ahold of a side scan to put on the boat won't be an issue. With a wreck that old will anything actually show up on side scan though apart from cannons that haven't sunk into the sand? I'd like to stay away from involving other people until I know what exactly it is that I stumbled across so any equipment that I need to search the area I'll either purchase or borrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread