Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No questions about problems in each country (or all for that matter)……….for me, cost of living is way less and fresh fruits and veggies are cheap and plentiful year round…….and the weather………as it is, I am about half time in each place…….good and bad with each place…...

OK, this is OT... I just got home from a couple weeks in the Caribbean. Coming from Oklahoma where everything has to be planted and watered like mad and then you still may not get your crop, it's amazing to drive around places where coconuts, plantains, bananas, citrus fruit, and spices just growing wild along the roads everywhere. In the US, nutmeg is a relatively expensive spice. In Martinique people sweep it off the sidewalks. I love the caribbean, and I count down the days until I can retire and move! I will be a happy, boating expat!

OK, back to talking about Tommy's embezzlement from his shareholders...

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So while the jury may still be out on crazy or sane, dishonest or just misunderstood, we are now fairly certain he had not gone stupid at that point. :)
This is going to be a great book when all the dust settles.

So - anyone know of a book being written by anyone?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the one already written, probably better than the continuing saga.

March 14, 2016

Treasure hunter Thomas G. "Tommy" Thompson again didn't reveal where the loot is, and a federal judge again sent him back to jail until his memory improves.

"As long as you're content to be the master of misdirection and deceit, I'm content to let you sit," U.S. District Court Judge Algenon L. Marbley told Thompson in a hearing on his civil contempt charge Monday.

Trial was reset for May 16, but I couldnt find any news on the outcome.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great. Name of book? Author? Know how/where I can get it?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Americas Lost Treasure by Thompson
Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue sea by Kinder

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Americas Lost Treasure by Thompson
Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue sea by Kinder

Yeah, it's a good book about the search and recovery. A lot of us would like to see a book about part 2. The theft of the finds (if any) and the hideout from the law for years while living high on the hog in a major city.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A lot of us would like to see a book about part 2.

Absolutely!

If anyone's working on an updated book (maybe Bob Evans?), I'd be very interested in helping get it published &/or any other way I can help.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to look at the first book by Thompson, showing the technology that went into the ROV, the way the wreck was recovered, and the beautiful images.

To me, it seems reasonable, given the cost of everything, and what the recovery was sold for, that there was little left for investors.
Further books would just degrade the accomplishment to all of the whining and whinging by the lawyers and all of the parties involved.

Taking money from investors and living high on the hog? I cannot think of any other examples of that in treasure hunting.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess if you are in this deep, might as well go the whole way.

I'd not say anything either and hope a bunch of TN guys got together and busted me out of prison for a cut of the treasure.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WOW! Thanks Seeker. Those are some incredible photos. The wire rim glasses, the mosaic of the gold deposits and the photo of the padlewheel are astounding!

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, we are talking about 500 ounces of gold made into restrikes, that is all that is claimed to be missing. Evans, his sidekick, even stated that there wasnt anything missing, and there was gold left in baskets on the bottom that were just recovered.

Interesting how many here claim to be pirates, and would recover items without claiming them, yet Thompson was upfront on the recovery, and perhaps took 500 ounces for his efforts?? Why is there such the disdain?

EDIT: I think the post I was responding to was deleted?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread