New Thread.........veeeerrry old problem.....Mercury on our seabed.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am very interested in putting together a rough list of shipwrecks that either do have or probably have Mercury still on board ( outbound to the new world.)

Let's do an honest Crowdsourcing thing here on this thread and see how many wrecks we can locate.

Rough locations are OK, no one is after " your wreck" but it would be very interesting to find out how many are out there, with the potential to continue harming us all.

Just asking for some honest help here, and not trying to steal any wreck locations, I am interested ( and maybe we all should be) in how BIG the problem is or could be.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431186325.254273.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RJC you are a Champion, great start thanks,

I also think the USA needs to know particularly what Mercury is possibly washing ashore with the currents all flowing past you guys.....and some currents and tides terminating on your shores

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Or knows roughly where one is or is supposed to be, we should log all possible Mercury locations....

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read an article online where they are trying to raise a Spanish war ship that sunk and the article implied that there is possibly a chest of gold and mercury on board.

treasurediver

Mar 13, 2005
Nearly every Spanish merchant vessel had some mercury on board. Mercury was needed for the extraction of gold and silver. If a ship was taking a certain quantity of mercury TO some port, you can bet that an equivalent quantity of gold or silver was going to be shipped FROM that port.

Contraband gold and silver was often shipped as an agglomerate, directly, without being molten down into an ingot. The silver ingot in this form was called "Plata Pina".

If you work carefully on any colonial time period shipwreck, you will come across some mercury. However, if you use blowers the chances are you will never see any, as you disperse it too much.

Chances are high you have some mercury in the form of silver amalgamate in your mouth.

In the 19th and 20th century mercury was used to produce primer caps, therefore mercury was an important strategic metal and shipped on many ships during that time period. See wikipedia article below.

Mercury(II) fulminate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you talk too much about mercury, the NSA will start looking at you for the reasons above.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's Ok ( NSA wise) TD, .........." I love America! "

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Nearly every Spanish merchant vessel had some mercury on board. Mercury was needed for the extraction of gold and silver. If a ship was taking a certain quantity of mercury TO some port, you can bet that an equivalent quantity of gold or silver was going to be shipped FROM that port.

Contraband gold and silver was often shipped as an agglomerate, directly, without being molten down into an ingot. The silver ingot in this form was called "Plata Pina".

If you work carefully on any colonial time period shipwreck, you will come across some mercury. However, if you use blowers the chances are you will never see any, as you disperse it too much.

Chances are high you have some mercury in the form of silver amalgamate in your mouth.

In the 19th and 20th century mercury was used to produce primer caps, therefore mercury was an important strategic metal and shipped on many ships during that time period. See wikipedia article below.

Mercury(II) fulminate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you talk too much about mercury, the NSA will start looking at you for the reasons above.
I don't think the NSA is going to care. People are trying to find those wrecks to clean up the Toxic Mercury. To clean up the environment.
If the NSA was interested? They are invited to be crew members on the boat.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man, as an aside I have a friend very high up in NOAA ( you would probably call her a Fed.)

She suggested I ask the TN guys how big the Mercury issue is. Hence the post......

TD makes a fantastic point about blowers though and dispersing it.......

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Old Man, as an aside I have a friend very high up in NOAA ( you would probably call her a Fed.)

She suggested I ask the TN guys how big the Mercury issue is. Hence the post......
Sads669, It would be big for all treasure salvage people. If they realized that if Spain and UNESCO were sued in the International Court for the Clean up of Spains ships that sunk with Mercury. Spain and UNESCO, probably would drop their claim on treasure wrecks. Which would open up treasure hunting the way it used to be. Finder's keepers.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Quick Mercury story for you to make you laugh.

When I was a Military Police Dog Handler, I made a coffee and put in milk and two sugars. Needing something to stir it with, I reach for a dog thermometer and stirred away......

Yes, you have guessed it the thermometer broke and when I had finished it and looked at all the silver globules at the bottom of the cup.

I then went to the medical centre and they made me puke for what seamed like hours......well if you are gonna be dumb.......you better be tough...sigh

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeh old Man I hear you, do you think reporting a bunch of wrecks laden with Mercury would do that??

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Yeh old Man I hear you, do you think reporting a bunch of wrecks laden with Mercury would do that??
No, I think an attorney looking to make a lot of money with a lawsuit, would sue Spain and UNESCO.

Look at the billions of dollars that BP had to pay out for that oil spill in the gulf of mexico.

A toxic clean up, would cost Spain and UNESCO, an awful lot of money. I'm sure the EPA would also chime in, if it went to court.

I heard that Spain is in fear of a lawsuit over this already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not many lawyers like that around then?? Ha ha ha.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431260313.484384.jpg

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Interesting that Sea Hunt is usually pointed at when screaming about Spain's claim to the La Galga and Juno wrecks. According to Wikipedia sources it was Mel Fisher's quest that spurred it on...
The Abandoned Shipwrecks Act, also known as the Abandoned Shipwrecks Act of 1987, was passed into law due to severe damage to some 3,000 historic wrecks on the Great Lakes and other areas of the coast that had been salvaged, and in some cases ruined, by treasure hunters in the 1970s. The particular case of the salvage of the Nuestra Señora de Atocha, an historic and culturally significant wreck off the coast of Florida, in which the State of Florida was unable to prevent legal salvage operations due to a lack of a suitable law that would disallow it, spurred action at the federal level to address the situation.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to be able to go after Spain for toxic clean-up, but the reality is that shipwreck mercury is probably a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall problem. And I would imagine the lions share of that is locked up in sediments. I would bet that more mercury was precipitated into the oceans last year alone from coal fired plants in China than was lost by shipwreck during the entire colonial period.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
It would be nice to be able to go after Spain for toxic clean-up, but the reality is that shipwreck mercury is probably a tiny, tiny fraction of the overall problem. And I would imagine the lions share of that is locked up in sediments. I would bet that more mercury was precipitated into the oceans last year alone from coal fired plants in China than was lost by shipwreck during the entire colonial period.

Jolly Mon, you are probably right about the coal.
However, I wish CaptBilly would chime in. I think he said that the Mercury from the ship in Samana Bay has caused numerous environmental and medical disorders to the local population in that area.

As Darren pointed out. This all started over greed from Spain, when the Atocha was found.
Treasure salvors need a leg to stand on, if treasure salvage is to even exist in the future.
Spain doesn't complain when someone wants to salvage one of their wrecks with no treasure. Why? I thought their complaint was about cultural heritage? No it's about treasure. Well it's about greed, so they should also be held responsible for the mercury on the bottom. It affects fish which people eat and causes environmental and medical problems. They should be held accountable for that. If treasure hunters don't want to ban together on this issue. Treasure hunting will go the way the Dinosaur went.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread