suspected Civil War blockade runner BLACK JOKER (formerly C. VANDERBILT)

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Got back out to the wreck to do some more work...clearing a top layer of bottles in one area to inspect cargo below. Bottles recovered included many more mini Bordeaux bottles, large Champagne bottles, and more of the odd preserve bottles. One of the corks of the mini Bordeaux bottles was in excellent shape and stamped "J.L. Duret, Bordeaux". It appears Duret was a producer of fine olive oil, and likely was the contents of these small bottles. Some of them had their contents congealed like butter, further supporting this theory.

Here is a video we produced documenting the dives:

Cheers,

Mike

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job,Mike...

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very interesting with excellent video quality and background story. It also illustrates what a nuisance that Lion fish have become and how badly they need to be eradicated. Vis is great but the depth is prohibitive (for me anyway). Best of luck with further endeavors.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Is it possible the name of that vessel is the Black Joke? That was the name of more than one pirate ship - it's an indelicate reference to a particular portion of the female anatomy. According to John Myers Myers' most interesting Pirate, Pawnee & Mountain Man (the story of Hugh Glass - a gentleman who led a rather interesting life!).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions