500 Million shipwreck found in the Atlantic???

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don Jose,

I'm with you. My father used to be in the precious metal refining business, I know what this stuff weighs. Not only could you not lift the buckets if they were that full, but you would have to have a MONSTER forklift to lift those skids. Never mind that the skids would probably splinter under the weight.

The picture (full bucket) is definitely staged.

Jack

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't comment in the Shipwreck Forum too often
because I don't treasure hunt the Oceans.

However I get so Sick of hearing that Ownership
is in Question.

As a land hunter, My opinion has been & always
will be Finders Keepers.
Of course If the Item can be traced to the Hider or Looser,
I have no problem with the Belief it may Belong to someone other then Me.

However in the case of Shipwrecks hudreds of years old
non of the Original owners, or their Immediate Relatives
can possably be alive.

And unless there are Records saying This Ship sank
here & We as a Nation will recover it one day.

there should be no Question on ownership.

Abandoning something untill someone else
shows Intrest should be illegal.

I'm sure this is why salvors usually get 90%
from the courts, But why even award 10% to the state ?

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fellow in the picture is my son in laws cousin. Guess I need to pack up the the old winnie motor home!!!

IDigIt

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
South East Virginia
Detector(s) used
White VX3, Whites xlt, Whites Surf PI, Whites DI6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier in the thread someone posted a link with CNN showing a video of the buckets of coins. It shows a guy picking up buckets and putting them on a pallet held up by a forklift. He moved the buckets with ease and no strain at all to him or the bucket. Whats up with that? Or one better, whats wrong with that?

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Jeff of Pa,
Agree!
This company took the risks, let them reap the rewards.

Odyssey, my hat is off to you.

grizzly bare

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDigIt said:
Earlier in the thread someone posted a link with CNN showing a video of the buckets of coins. It shows a guy picking up buckets and putting them on a pallet held up by a forklift. He moved the buckets with ease and no strain at all to him or the bucket. Whats up with that? Or one better, whats wrong with that?

Maybe he's used to it.

Or maby the coins are Rapped in Cotton to prevent
Damage, & it looks like there is more in each bucket then there
is.

They have Many Stockholder
who have great Intrest in the numbers.

Lying could get them in Trouble.

Which they have no Reason to put themselves
on the spot of explaining the shortfall.

Notice one Bucket says 12 or 18 KG

Another 33 KG

I don't know what a KG is in U.S. Standards.

But that is a big difference in weight.

Attachments

• indexssww.jpg
    indexssww.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 761
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI just general talk. I once tried to pick up a wooden shotgun shell box 2/3 full of Old Mexican silver coins - cache equal to 10 boxes of them - the bottom fell out.

The coins came from a find in an old house. While completely legal, we didn't want the entire neighbor hood to know. we stacked them neatly in the wooden box, which is very sturdily constructed of heavy seasoned wood. We left about 1" on top, covered them with paper them covered that with perhaps 1" of dirt to hide the contents..

First try, sheehs we couldn't budge it, We then realized that there was almost !/2 cu ft of Silver, which is equal roughly to to #250+ of these .900 fine coins.

After adjusting the weight to about #75, I still walked rather stiff legged out to the truck, so I doubt that we fooled anyone hehehe.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. The bottom episode came when we were trying to adjust the max weight that we could lift and carry out to the truck.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMONA, WHY QUITE. i would like to hear more about this find.

S

shipresearcher1

Well I'll be the first to tell you I don't agree with Odyssey's methods but the photo shot was not staged. I lifted those exact buckets full of coins and yes they can hold almost 70 pounds. I use to film Wyatt Yeager lifting the buckets full of gold and silver coins from the Republic. Yes the strap will break but they will hold. I know the guards who loaded them and the NGC people who offloaded them in Sarasota. They are really there. Now we can definitely question about total worth!

SR1

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odyssey developed a high viscosity solution, so that when the coins are dropped into the buckets there's minimal scratching.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a matter of overall economics. Does the added cost of picking up the silver coins one at a time justify the added expense, or are a few scratches here and there acceptable. I'd like to have that problem.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if they did pick up the gold coins one at a time.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of economics, try this on for size...

Odyssey Marine Exploration (AMEX:OMR), the world's leader in the field of deep-ocean shipwreck exploration, has been added to the preliminary list of companies scheduled to constitute part of the Russell 3000 Index.

Final index membership will take effect on Friday, June 22, 2007 and remain in place for the ensuing 12-month period. Russell has posted the annual list of preliminary index additions, which include Odyssey Marine Exploration, on www.russell.com.

Good news for investors!

Tom

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
curious what the sand would do to the coins, would it have scratched them . as for a five gallon bucket of coins ,very heavy, to heavy.  maybe the buckets have the sand with them, detect the coins in the sand, then they scoped the sand,  with the coins in it and put it in a bucket. his could explain the weight.
they would have layered the visible buckets with coins, to give the elision they are full to the brim. being a prospector all my life, i will say .way way Way to heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread