More than $1M in gold discovered off Fort Pierce from 1715 treasure fleet... video an

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it strange that as bankrupt as it is, Spain managed to make a big contribution to the Clinton Foundation, AFTER the
court's decision.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it strange that as bankrupt as it is, Spain managed to make a big contribution to the Clinton Foundation, AFTER the
court's decision.

I would call strange coincidence !!

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope everyone takes an important lesson away from this...

If you see a pile of gold coins keep your damn mouth shut and certainly dont post a video of it, just melt most of it down and cash in.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching that video was amazing. It even got me pumped up!! I love seeing when people first discover a treasure! You could hear and see the excitement in this guy. But that's what's missing in these new treasure hunting movies. This was real action that even got me going!! Want more films like that!

bvi explorer

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to those guys. I wonder if they can afford to keep the Royale!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I suspect Florida will keep it as part of their share of the finds. I'd love to see the museum Florida has for all of its share of the 1715 finds.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I suspect Florida will keep it as part of their share of the finds. I'd love to see the museum Florida has for all of its share of the 1715 finds.

The state can't take it because it would constitute more than their 20% share.

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Keep in mind, right now as I type this in Sebastian Fl, on the night of July 30, 1715, 300 years ago, the hurricane that caused this, tossed all those bodies in the surf and around 1,000 souls lost their lives.

I never lose sight of this.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Spain owns the right to all the Florida Treasures: Hell, they legally decimated the whole Aztec culture and stole the Gold and Silver fair & square. :BangHead:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The state can't take it because it would constitute more than their 20% share.

Actually they can. They've done this before, and replaced the overage with more duplicate gold items they have on hand.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hum only 15 feet deep ? -- those might be off the HOLANDISA (a small vessel owned by Echeverz )... it was a smallish shallow draft vessel that hit bottom , stuck fast and who's upper decks sheared away from the hull , breaking off and sliding ashore like a giant surfboard... it upper deck works / cabins was used as a shelter by the crews recovering the shipwrecked vessels goods from the sea..
===========================================================
Yea 15 feet but with 4 feet of OVERBURDEN to move first.
Not exactly "laying in the open".

Saw this on the news the other night

Hit

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind, right now as I type this in Sebastian Fl, on the night of July 30, 1715, 300 years ago, the hurricane that caused this, tossed all those bodies in the surf and around 1,000 souls lost their lives.

I never lose sight of this.

Yes....and how many slaves died making it all possible. I have no sympathy for the Spanish. Compared to what the early American settlers did
to the natives, the Spanish were inhuman everywhere they tread.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As you say your prayers for the protection of all the sailors and ships at sea tonight, include one for the 1,000 souls who perished along our shores so long ago.
Fair winds and following seas to those lost before, during and after. RIP and Godspeed.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were at the Kellyco event today with some of the gold.....

880da84f6a22192eea81b6dcac742a44.jpg

Last edited:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A couple of random responses...

I think I read in some documentation that Holandesa had nothing but paper goods & perhaps some contraband. I've novelized away some of the facts myself, so I could be wrong without looking it up (too lazy to do so right now). All the letter writing from the camps was probably well supplied by her. Even if she did have treasure aboard, it would have been salvaged on the spot since she was small, light & partially wrecked ashore.

Please don't melt down 300-year-old history! Ever. This is where treasure diving gets tricky. If you just recover it to pocket it for selfish gain, then yes - you are the "bad guy." But if you recover it, show it to the world, make your bucks & share what the law requires, you're serving yourself & posterity; a win-win. Treasure diving is not just about monetary treasure for most who are serious about it.

1,000 souls lost. Like ’em or hate ’em, the Spanish were humans & all of us (who live along Florida's shores especially) are connected. I'm glad so many stay mindful of the tragedy, & so thankful for last week's commemoration. It was wonderful.

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe Spain owns the right to all the Florida Treasures: Hell, they legally decimated the whole Aztec culture and stole the Gold and Silver fair & square. :BangHead:

A creative lawyer representing various Latin American indigenous peoples could probably make a helluva compelling case against Spain should Spain assert the "we stole it first" position in court.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hope everyone takes an important lesson away from this...

If you see a pile of gold coins keep your damn mouth shut and certainly dont post a video of it, just melt most of it down and cash in.

If you're dumb enough to melt down coins with immense numismatic value for bullion weight, you're probably not smart enough to find them in the first place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread