More than $1M in gold discovered off Fort Pierce from 1715 treasure fleet... video an

ShipwreckHunter

May 15, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter
GTI 2500
Infinium LS
Sea Hunter II
Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
More than $1M in gold discovered off Fort Pierce from 1715 treasure fleet... video and story ...
Treasure salvagers off the coast have recovered 60 gold artifacts from the 1715 Treasure Fleet shipwrecks valued more than $1 million. Queens Jewels, a historic shipwreck salvage operation, which owns the exclusive salvage rights to the fleet, announced the find Monday. They were found in about 15 feet of water.
The Fleet sank along Florida’s Treasure Coast on July 31, 1715, 300 years ago this week. The salvage operation recovered 51 gold coins and 40 feet of ornate gold chain. More than $1M in gold discovered off Fort Pierce from 1715 treasure fleet - TC Palm

B9318236504Z.1_20150727153054_000_GHJBFBS39.1-0.jpg

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How does the diver not hyperventilate with that staring him in the face ? Does the state of Florida get the Royal ?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn thing is I can hold my breath and dive 15 feet down...but noooooooooo .. I gotta dig mercs and wheats to have a good day.:BangHead:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hum only 15 feet deep ? -- those might be off the HOLANDISA (a small vessel owned by Echeverz )... it was a smallish shallow draft vessel that hit bottom , stuck fast and who's upper decks sheared away from the hull , breaking off and sliding ashore like a giant surfboard... it upper deck works / cabins was used as a shelter by the crews recovering the shipwrecked vessels goods from the sea..

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find. It's killing me that the diver is rubbing the coin when it hasn't been cleaned yet!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunken treasure has a way of moving up toward the beach, I'm sure there can be much more gold to be found, along the Florida E coast.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The State of Florida gets their 20% as first pick. I would be very surprised if they do not claim the Royal in their share.
Then again, this find was made before the State had actually produced this years permits. It could prove to be interesting, although the citizens of Florida seldom get much information from the Bureau of Bureaucratic Bureaucrats, so we may never know.

sharpscuba

Jul 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A great day to be out in the water for them too be sure. I agree Ivan with your theory.

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I assume they found these after using blowers to move all the sand. Anyone know that to be true in this instance?

Also, are there cannons still lying around at many of these wreck sites or have they all mostly been pulled up?

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Family in Sanford with permit finds gold chains, coins etc. of this 17-- ship. I guess the whole family does this for fun and found some treasure. Missed some of the news. But they found a fair amount. This might be the same people. That center coin with looks like the one found. Best of luck to them and their finds.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about stuff finding honey holes and working itself to shore. I have dug for 1-1/2 hour's on either side of the beach tide and never stopped digging coins. I think these coins get into the sand after moving across the hard bottom. Then get thrown up onto the beach or move into that gully just off the beach. Then that sand moves and coins move again. Small sand grains move down tide to another spot. Coins are heavy and seem to move with the undertow toward the beach. Their a big part of a tanker that's in this new beach channel. It moved 5 miles inshore. Then three wrecks side by side with a big strip of hard bottom behind these wrecks. Stuff does move inshore.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Claudio if it wasn't for treasure hunters, you would be unemployed.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love the way Mr. Schmidt is called a "looter" and then a few sentences later it is admitted he is working the site legally.

This is the same Spanish ministry of culture that was so outraged when the "priceless cultural artifacts" from the Mercedes were found to be not quite as economically valuable as Spain anticipated...meanwhile, around 5 percent of that treasure has gone on display...

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know or knew the guy who is responsible for finding this. I saw his face on Fox News yesterday and thought to myself "oh boy" what did he do. Well he found Spanish treasure is what he did. He is from Ohio of all places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread