pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm really just looking to see how many wrecks there are.Also what the names of ships were any the story of how they were wrecked and what cargo they may have carried.. I'm mainly interested in the stories. I think it would be really cool to go with someone who is working the site. But i also know that there is alot of secrecy with these things. I want to put together a book of as much lost gold stories as I can find. That means on land as well as sea. I don't think I would ever have the grist to actually look for the treasure, however, I would like to be the one who writes about it. Keeping confidentiality for all involved. I just want to put a book together. But thanks for the info..

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pegleg:
A good story to read would be one compiled regarding the Gold Rush Steamers that were lost along the west coast of Baja California. To my knowledge, no Gold Rush Steamer was lost in So. Cal. (South of Santa Barbara).
Don....

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok Thanks, beside the steamers I am looking for "any" kind of ship and from and any year (1000AD and up ). Pirate ships, steamers, transports, ships that went from SF to anywhere south of Santa Barbara any any wreck at all. But steamers would be a good idea. Is it a real wreck or a hoax ??

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hey PGlooker,
go to the History Hunters web site and look at "Ole Grubstake" posts. He has a site in S. Cal. that he is bringing up colonial era silver coins, gold coins, etc. He also is very knowedgeabal about wrecks all over CA.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
ok Thanks, beside the steamers I am looking for "any" kind of ship and from and any year (1000AD and up ). Pirate ships, steamers, transports, ships that went from SF to anywhere south of Santa Barbara any any wreck at all. But steamers would be a good idea. Is it a real wreck or a hoax ??

Well, I can't say there is a wreck there but in the early 70's we pulled a round, carved stone, Chinese anchor up from a small cove just north of the old Marineland and around the point from Vicente Light Coast Guard Station. A professor from El Camino College told us what it was. The area shows signs of having once been a Abalone Station.

There was a wreck off Catalina Island also that the late John Wayne was involved in salvaging but they ran afoul of the US Navy and operations ceased.

There are several interesting old wrecks off of the Channel Islands that get partially uncovered after heavy weather but they sand in quickly and various circumstances make diving then a dangerous activity.

In the early 70's we pulled various things off of a couple of them but nothing that could ID any of them.
Deepsix

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for the info deepsix, i'm trying to put together the most COMPLETE southern california treasure book. By that i mean land, sea and maybe air if there are some. do you of anyone working these sites? i know secrecy is important, again i'm in this for a book only. Or do u know anyone who has worked some sights and can provide any info?? if you do PLEASE let know what you canor are willing....

Thankx
PLL

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi PLL:

It's been many many years and those of us that were diving together then have pretty much all relocated all over the place. As to who or even if they are being worked now, I would have no idea. You might try contacting some of the Dive Clubs and/or Shops. They would be your best bet.
Deepsix

Historybuff1959

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2015
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Former XLT and DFX user.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to find the gentleman you spoke of but having a had time. I moved out here from the midwest and I myself am looking for some sites to investigate and maybe find some friends.

S

stefen

There are numerous Spanish galleons ship-wrecked along the coast including Santa Catalina Island, San Diego, and the like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread