Florida mystery shipwreck

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Yesterday we explored an unidentified wreck in 290 feet of water off Sebastian. It appears to be an approximately 250 foot long American freighter lost in World War II. Not sure on its identity and all potential suspect vessels sunk during the war in the Florida Straits southward to the Dry Tortugas don't see to fit. This vessel seems to be a Great Lakes constructed vessel, but I am coming up empty on a potential ID. Will have to keep working at it....
This area of Florida is extremely dynamic and you never know what kind of conditions you will get. Fortunately, we had stellar conditions. Abundant marine life and a cool wreck covered in Oculina coral -- and there were zero lionfish! We are seeing more and more deep wrecks with few or no lionfish this year...hopefully something is going on to thin the horde.
Hope you enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/CLAjrKlffMA

Cheers,
Mike

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice, Mike. It's unusual to see an armed merchant vessel at such short length. I would think this could narrow your options considerably. Did you happen to see if the engine was a steam turbine or triple expansion?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't will you to look closer at the cylinders at 5:14.

Wonder what's in them...

Thanks for sharing this awesome adventure.

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Nice, Mike. It's unusual to see an armed merchant vessel at such short length. I would think this could narrow your options considerably. Did you happen to see if the engine was a steam turbine or triple expansion?

That's the thing, the machinery was not immediately obvious. The ship gives off a Great Lakes sternwinder vibe, but I'm still far from positive. I saw a condenser or donkey boiler, but no obvious engine or scotch boilers. I'm a little befuddled on this one. Next dive I plan to look for the machinery as well as focus on trying to find a useful artifact to help with the ID...no camera to distract me.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great video. Sure would be nice to find the bell laying out there to help with her identity.
Any evidence of her cargo?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's the thing, the machinery was not immediately obvious.

I've heard of engines toppling to the side, though they and the boilers are usually the easiest to spot. The poop deck clearly got toppled. Interesting wreck. Keep us posted.

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice video and find. Video is getting a lot of views for being a day or two old :thumbsup:. Great to hear that the lion fish horde is showing decline. All the round ups maybe paying off. This years mini season (July 29-30), divers can take 1 extra bug per 10 lion fish they kill.

Best of luck on your next dive.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
early in the war pre pearl harbor -- the USA often had USA ships "reflagged" to the panama flag so that they could carry war goods without "offically" being American ship's --many smaller foreign vessels were also " bare back chartered" to carry goods as well.... at 250 feet this is a small vessel --typical of the type of small coastal hopping tramp steamers they often hired.. back then by the sounds of it ..these vessels "officially" were panamain or phillipines listed vessels

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions