Artifact Amnesty

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Recently a bill was successfully introduced in the Florida Legislature to propose an amnesty program for people who illegally collected artifacts from state lands and bottomlands. Consequently, the Division of Historical Resources has been tasked with studying the feasibility of such a program.

If you would like to express your opinion about this proposed program, please read the press release below and take a short survey at Artifact Amnesty Feasibility Study - Division of Historical Resources - Florida Department of State<Artifact Amnesty Feasibility Study - Division of Historical Resources - Florida Department of State>. The survey has basic questions, but there are spaces to enter comments. In addition you may wish to email your comments to the State Historic Preservation Officer. [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

Thanks for taking time to look into this, and for your valuable input.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 11, 2015

Secretary Detzner Encourages Public Input on Proposed Artifact Amnesty Program

TALLAHASSEE- Secretary of State Ken Detzner and the Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources today announced the opening of a comment period to gather public input for a feasibility study. The study is intended to consider the feasibility of a possible one-time amnesty program of limited duration for persons who possess specimens, objects, or materials of historical or archaeological value found on land owned or controlled by the state or land owned by a water authority.

"The Department wants to encourage full public participation in the development of this study," said Secretary Detzner. "Public involvement is an essential part of planning in state government, and we welcome the input and comments of all citizens on this important topic."

The Department of State is preparing this study in consultation with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at the request of the Florida Legislature. The agencies' findings and recommendations regarding this proposed amnesty program will be presented to the Governor, President of the Senate, and Speaker of the House of Representatives by October 15, 2015.

Additional information about this feasibility study is available on the Division of Historical Resources' website, at dos.myflorida.com/historical/feasibility<Artifact Amnesty Feasibility Study - Division of Historical Resources - Florida Department of State>. Individuals are encouraged to provide their comments and opinions on the feasibility of the proposed amnesty program by completing a short online survey that can be found on the same webpage. The comment period will be open until September 4, 2015.

###

About The Division of Historical Resources
The Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources (DHR) is responsible for preserving and promoting Florida's historical, archaeological, and folk culture resources. DHR directs historic preservation efforts throughout the state in cooperation with state and federal agencies, local governments, private organizations, and individuals. The director of DHR serves as the State Historic Preservation Officer, acting as the liaison with the national historic preservation program conducted by the National Park Service. The Division is comprised of two Bureaus or major program areas: archaeological research and historic preservation. For more information, visit flheritage.com<Division of Historical Resources - Florida Department of State>.

Roger C. Smith, Ph.D.
State Underwater Archaeologist | Bureau of Archaeological Research | Division of Historical Resources | Florida Department of State | 1001 DeSoto Park Drive | Tallahassee, Florida 32301 | 850.245.6444 | Fax: 850.245.6452 | dos.myflorida.com/historical<Division of Historical Resources - Florida Department of State>

The Department of State is committed to excellence.
Please take our Customer Satisfaction Survey<http://survey.dos.state.fl.us/[email protected]>.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This isn't about amnesty, it's about being able to prosecute after the deadline passes for turning the items in. I took the survey but realize that when a government agency asks for "stake holder input" it's so they can check a box that the community input has been considered. I recommended bringing back the Isolated Finds Legislation, I don't think that is the direction the state is moving in. The stories about SWAT teams serving warrants against collectors, let's us know their direction

If people want this kind of amnesty, all they have to do is dump their collection in the trash, why get involved with the state. How does the state determine whether they came from private or public land

A prime example of stake holder input was the fishing ban in selected Biscayne Nat'l Park areas. The National Park Service asked for stake holder input, input was totally against the closure, thousands against it, everyone from charter captains to FL Fish and Wildlife. They basically said, that's nice, now we will do what we originally proposed

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why would I even tell them about the artifacts I don't have?

I don't get it.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every thing I have ever found, I found in my back yard.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amnesty was offered in Trinidad, but then those who reported themselves were prosecuted. NEVER trust a gov't who initiates amnesty.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Amnesty was offered in Trinidad, but then those who reported themselves were prosecuted. NEVER trust a gov't who initiates amnesty.
Good post Darren.
I could picture Roger Smith putting together a hit list of all who apply and then having his swat team, serve warrants looking for sharks teeth, arrow heads and other artifacts.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The very act of accepting amnesty, by definition, incriminates you. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't this violate the constitution? I have no confusion on whether the DHR abides by the Constitution, as they have proven time and again they do not. This is another ridiculous attempt increase the level of police power they have. Once this is done, it will be open season on amateur historians state wide.

DHR - Turning Well-Intentioned Amateur Historians Into Criminals - Driving Experienced Maritime Historians and Explorers to Piracy - Watching Florida's Cultural Heritage Decay Undisturbed Under a Pile of Legislature. They should all get a raise........

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golly gee !! I get to give my hard won artifacts to the State and maybe they won't even prosecute me !! Boy these fellars are generous...

( I think I'll give them the finger instead and suggest they go fock themselves.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread