Capitana crew finds over 350 gold coins on 1715 Fleet Anniversary ..

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This find was made between Wabasso Beach and the Turtle Trail beach access.
The picture of the area at Sebastian Inlet is, of course, N of Vero Beach proper about 15 miles.
I hope that helps. :)

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I knew when I saw the pics of them on that spot they were gonna hit...
And the bigger stuff could be straight back out to lines...

There are a few threads on this going now.

What do you mean? Bigger stuff and straight back out?

Sandman23

Dec 18, 2012
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS II. looking to upgrade soon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all I was just wondering, I read where the Queen's jewels where in 8 chests ( if what I read is right ) so what I am asking.

If one was to find all 8 chests say on the beach and in 1 of the chest were the 74 carat ring along with all the others ( i.e. the hear made from 130 matching pearls or the 14 carat pearl ear rings ) how MUCH would YOU say all 8 chests would be worth??

thanks.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just 1 item from the list of the queens jewels would be priceless.You can bet spain or the state of florida will want it.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just 1 item from the list of the queens jewels would be priceless.You can bet spain or the state of florida will want it.

Remember that brooch Bob Weller found with 150 diamonds? What happened to it?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This one, Pete?
Well...there were two, I believe...Chris James found them in 1993. Sold for $800,000 or $875,000 depending on who you talk to. Either way...it was a lot.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's it! Isn't that one of the Queen's jewels?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
List of jewels sent to the Queen aboard the Capitana of Ubilla's Flota, sent by the President of Guadalajara, Mexico.

A. Two pair of gold earrings (drop earrings); one pair was in 3 parts, the lower part being in the shape of a pineapple with 129 pearls (very small ones); the other pair was smaller and each had 38 small pearls and on one extremity there was a gold amulet. Both pair weighed 3 and 1/16 ounces.
B. A rosary made of coral the size of chickpeas with the "Our Father" in gold and with three small medals and a small rose also of gold, weighing 3 1/16th ounces.
C. Two pearls in the shape of an almond, weighing 28 carats; another round pearl, weighing 8 carats; 98 inferior pearls, much smaller in size.
D. A gold jewel in which it appears to have the image of St. Clara.
E. Three gold rings, two plain and one with an emerald.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
List of jewels sent to the Queen aboard the Capitana of Ubilla's Flota, sent by the President of Guadalajara, Mexico.

A. Two pair of gold earrings (drop earrings); one pair was in 3 parts, the lower part being in the shape of a pineapple with 129 pearls (very small ones); the other pair was smaller and each had 38 small pearls and on one extremity there was a gold amulet. Both pair weighed 3 and 1/16 ounces.
B. A rosary made of coral the size of chickpeas with the "Our Father" in gold and with three small medals and a small rose also of gold, weighing 3 1/16th ounces.
C. Two pearls in the shape of an almond, weighing 28 carats; another round pearl, weighing 8 carats; 98 inferior pearls, much smaller in size.
D. A gold jewel in which it appears to have the image of St. Clara.
E. Three gold rings, two plain and one with an emerald.

Is that all? I wouldn't call that list priceless. Then for whom was the broches intended?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The war of the Spanish Succession was over and they themselves had observed mourning for the Spanish Queen who had died a few months before. Now King Philip was planning to marry again and was busy soliciting wedding presents for Elizabeth Farnesse, Duchess of Palma. It would be the marriage settlement, their Lordships concluded, that was coming from Havana: if this was the best Hamilton’s costly spies could do then it was about time his accounts had a through audit. A resolution was passed to that effect.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Is that all? I wouldn't call that list priceless. Then for whom was the broches intended?
Pete, if that is the extent of the Queens Jewels?
I sure don't know what all the excitement has been about for all those years.
The way people hyped this. I expected the Queens Jewels to be an immense treasure.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The broaches are thought to be personal jewelry.
The gifts that Fisheye quoted are just the ones from that particular person.

From the Brisben "Queen's Jewels" website- King Philip V & the Queens Jewels
"Philip ordered these elaborate jewels to be brought to him by the 1715 fleet. Jewelry was not a taxable commodity to the Spanish, as a result, was not recorded on official manifests. The manifest for the Capitana of the 1715 Fleet, the ship believed to have carried the jewels, listed simply “62 chests of gifts”, how many of those contained the Queen’s Jewels is debatable. However, some miscellane: ous items are known to have shipped, such as a heart delicately crafted of 130 pearls, a 74 carat emerald ring, a pair of pearl earrings-each complemented with a 14 carat pearl, and a rosary of pure coral the size of small marbles. The jewels were stored in the personal cabin of the silver master of the Capitana. After the loss of the fleet, even without the jewels, the marriage of Philip V and Elizabeth Farnese was eventually consummated, as Elizabeth bore Philip seven children."

From the the Mel Fisher site @:
http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/1715Ops/1715history.asp we have this:
"The governor had a substantial personal stake in the fleet, and since there was little or no room left, he and some friends chartered a French cargo ship, the Grifon, captained by Antoine Dare, a wily veteran of the Caribbean to whom the finger points as being Hamilton’s informant. Ubilla and Echeverz refused to accept Dare’s vessel in their convoy and matters dragged on before they finally yielded to the governor. But, the final delay was caused by Philip of Spain himself.

He decided to marry the Duchess of Palma, and she agreed to go through with the ceremony but declined to consummate the marriage until she was decked with the jewels of her choosing. Urgent word had been sent to the new World, and these last minute deliveries held up the golden armada yet again. When they arrived they proved to be as sumptuous a wedding gift as any queen could desire, even if they were also the death warrant of 10 ships and more than 700 of the men who sailed them.

Details of the jewelry are scrappy, but we know of odd items; a heart built up of 130 matched pearls, an emerald ring weighing 74 carats, a pair of earrings each of 14-carat pearls, and a rosary of pure coral the size of small marble. There were eight chests in all, and they stowed in Ubilla’s personal cabin. "

So....is it 8 chests or 62 chests of "The Queen's Jewels"? I don't know, but all of us here on the Treasure Coast hope that we are the ones to find out!

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The broaches are thought to be personal jewelry.
The gifts that Fisheye quoted are just the ones from that particular person.

From the Brisben "Queen's Jewels" website- King Philip V & the Queens Jewels

"Philip ordered these elaborate jewels to be brought to him by the 1715 fleet. Jewelry was not a taxable commodity to the Spanish, as a result, was not recorded on official manifests. The manifest for the Capitana of the 1715 Fleet, the ship believed to have carried the jewels, listed simply “62 chests of gifts”, how many of those contained the Queen’s Jewels is debatable. However, some miscellane: ous items are known to have shipped, such as a heart delicately crafted of 130 pearls, a 74 carat emerald ring, a pair of pearl earrings-each complemented with a 14 carat pearl, and a rosary of pure coral the size of small marbles. The jewels were stored in the personal cabin of the silver master of the Capitana. After the loss of the fleet, even without the jewels, the marriage of Philip V and Elizabeth Farnese was eventually consummated, as Elizabeth bore Philip seven children."

From the the Mel Fisher site @:
http://www.melfisher.com/SalvageOperations/1715Ops/1715history.asp we have this:

"The governor had a substantial personal stake in the fleet, and since there was little or no room left, he and some friends chartered a French cargo ship, the Grifon, captained by Antoine Dare, a wily veteran of the Caribbean to whom the finger points as being Hamilton’s informant. Ubilla and Echeverz refused to accept Dare’s vessel in their convoy and matters dragged on before they finally yielded to the governor. But, the final delay was caused by Philip of Spain himself.

He decided to marry the Duchess of Palma, and she agreed to go through with the ceremony but declined to consummate the marriage until she was decked with the jewels of her choosing. Urgent word had been sent to the new World, and these last minute deliveries held up the golden armada yet again. When they arrived they proved to be as sumptuous a wedding gift as any queen could desire, even if they were also the death warrant of 10 ships and more than 700 of the men who sailed them.

Details of the jewelry are scrappy, but we know of odd items; a heart built up of 130 matched pearls, an emerald ring weighing 74 carats, a pair of earrings each of 14-carat pearls, and a rosary of pure coral the size of small marble. There were eight chests in all, and they stowed in Ubilla’s personal cabin. "

So....is it 8 chests or 62 chests of "The Queen's Jewels"? I don't know, but all of us here on the Treasure Coast hope that we are the ones to find out!

The mischaracterization of Le Griffon as a cargo ship is interesting...it is also hard to believe Chevalier d'Aire was an informant for Lord Hamilton.

One thing is for sure, though: Le Griffon would have been far and away the safest place to stow the Queen's jewels...hmmm...

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Can you tell me the exact location of this shallow water find I just a metal detectorist and would like to poke around the beach in that area.
Thank you
Dee Sherman

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Can you tell me the exact location of this shallow water find I just a metal detectorist and would like to poke around the beach in that area. I'm not a night hawk I do only what the law allows.
Also trying to find out the name of the Indian Tribe that helped with the 1715 fleet recovery in vero Beach in 1715
Thank you
Dee Sherman

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exact locating is in the water. So it's off limits to poke around. But the beach areas are fair game. Though very sanded in during the summer. All of our coins were about 6ft under the sand as gold moves down, as sand moves around. The beaches get hammered by metal detectors. A find my happen here or there when conditions are prime. There a bunch of people that can give our exact location. But that kinda takes the fun out of treasure hunting. im sure there's a sponger that will come out of the wood work and let you know. Good luck !!!!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deesherman,the location is about 2 blocks north of turtle trail.The beach area is hunted everyday by many treasure hunters.The exact location is not a secret to anyone.It is public information that you can get from the state if you request the logs from all the treasure boats that work the 1715 fleet wrecks.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1percenter, post by our rules and end the attacks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread