How to use the online Spanish Archives website

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The online Portal de Archivos Españoles, maintained by the Spanish government at pares.mcu.es, is an excellent resource for information and documentation of public and private archives throughout Spain. Alas for we poor scholars, it is also unbelievably inscrutable, with a search function that can defeat even seasoned users, as one of us found out last year when we arrived in Seville (six years after logging on to PARES for the first time) to discover that virtually every single document we needed had been digitized, but not listed as such ...

Read the rest at:

Taming PARES ? Scott Cave

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The online Portal de Archivos Españoles, maintained by the Spanish government at pares.mcu.es, is an excellent resource for information and documentation of public and private archives throughout Spain. Alas for we poor scholars, it is also unbelievably inscrutable, with a search function that can defeat even seasoned users, as one of us found out last year when we arrived in Seville (six years after logging on to PARES for the first time) to discover that virtually every single document we needed had been digitized, but not listed as such ...

Read the rest at:

Taming PARES ? Scott Cave

Thanks for that link !!!

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alas for we poor scholars, it is also unbelievably inscrutable, with a search function that can defeat even seasoned users, as one of us found out last year when we arrived in Seville (six years after logging on to PARES for the first time) to discover that virtually every single document we needed had been digitized, but not listed as such ...

Yep. That was my experience while researching the AGI a year ago. Looks like nothing's changed. I did find a few things once I got really deep into the system, but it was hard to navigate & decipher. Of course I have the added disadvantage of no comprendo espanol. (yeah - I had to google that last bit)

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 10% of AGI documents are digitized, but this 10% corresponds to the most important, but not conclusive.
Much more information about America is deposited in other archives in Spain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread