UPDATE: Iron Pig and Tiller

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Found a couple of items at a 18th-19th century shipyard site that has me stumped. I'll give you a little background first... this site was used for careening sailing ships as well as pulling them completely out of the water upright on a marine railway. The site was used by the Spanish, French, British, and early American shipwrights running from the early 1700's until the early 1800's. There are at least two confirmed British shipwrecks dating to the late 1700's less than 100 yards offshore from where I found these items buried in the sand onshore.

ingottop.jpg
Item "A" is approximately 18" in length, 4 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and weighs nearly 80lbs. It is most certainly solid iron.

ingotfront.jpg
Front view of Item "A". I have been doing a combination of electrolysis and naval jelly to gently remove the concretions. Notice the upward blob of material on the top center of the object. The blob is all good metal and had little concretion on it when found.

ingotleft.jpg
Left side of Item "A". No markings found on the item. Notice how it is flat on the bottom and rounded at the top resembling the shape of a loaf of bread. Iron ingot?

deadmansrod1.jpg
This is an iron rod that I found nearby just a few feet from shore with one end poking up slightly. I have only gently bumped this object with a rubber mallet to remove the heavy encrustations. I plan to perform electrolysis and naval jelly treatment if it is determined to be interesting.

deadmansrod2.jpg
Closeup of the upper left of the rod showing the eye. This eye measures approximately 1" in diameter.

Any suggestions on what these may be would be appreciated. I'm short on room in the garage as it is.

Thanks,

Pcola

UPDATE: I took the items to our historical preservation group and the head archaeologist was very excited to be receiving them. She did confirm as some of you mentioned that the ingot-type object is in fact Iron Ballast from our local British period (1763-1781). She also believes that the iron rod object to be part of the rudder assembly for a longboat or gig from approximately the same period. The items will undergo proper preservation and eventually go on display at the T.T. Wentworth Florida State Museum in downtown Pensacola. Thanks for all the great information folks! You guys/gals are the best!

UPDATE 6/29/07: Received an official letter today from the Pensacola Historical Society. The artifacts I found are now under study by the Florida Archaeology Network group and have received further positive identification.

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Re: New Finds...Any ideas?

In 1980-1981, Construction of large buildings in New York City uncovered the original slips that the British ships docked in lower Manhattan. We were able to salvage the same Pig iron ballast, large white coated flint ballast, and some coral, ballast which came from the Caribbean. One of the slips uncovered was Beekmens slip, located at Water and Front St. The HMS Hussar was docked there before it went up the East River and hit Pot rock and finally sank in the Bronx. All the artifacts we found date back to 1776-1783.

Hope you find the infomation usefull,
( As there is not much infomation on ballast ) Regards Simon...

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005

I agree...pig iron ballast bars, possibly British...mid to late 18'th to early 19'th century.
Since the other piece has a square hole, it would mesh with another iron piece for leverage...possibly a hand crank of some sort.
If it were a hundred years later then I would agree that it might be for the tiller of a small boat. However, wooden tiller arms persisted on small boats way into the 20'th century. A boat of course, was carried on a ship. Therefore the tillers would be an item that was easily unshipped or taken apart for stowage with the boats stacked on deck upside down with different size boats, one inside the other, then lashed to the booms or spare yards. All the insides of the boats had to be removeable so that they could be nested and save space.
An unshiped tiller bar and the thwarts ( wooden beams used as seats inside a small boat) could be easily used as a makeshift defensive weapon, wielded like a baseball bat.
Splash,
Donovan

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Thanks very much for the information. I am going to be loaning them to our local historical conservation board for use in the museum. They will do the proper preservation on the items at no cost to me as long as I let them place it in the museum.

Thanks again,

Pcola

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006

Hi-
This info is SO COOL and priceless. Thank you for your intelligence. Thats why we're here. Hope I can contribute some soon. Thanks again. Mike

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Re: UDATE: New Finds...Any ideas?

UPDATE 6/2/07: I took the items to our historical preservation group and the head archaeologist was very excited to be receiving them. She did confirm as some of you mentioned that the ingot-type object is in fact Iron Ballast from our local British period (1763-1781). She also believes that the iron rod object to be part of the rudder assembly for a longboat or gig from approximately the same period. The items will undergo proper preservation and eventually go on display at the T.T. Wentworth Florida State Museum in downtown Pensacola. Thanks for all the great information folks! You guys/gals are the best!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: UPDATE: New Finds...Any ideas?

Scott,

Thats great! Glad to see they will beproperly preserved and displayed.

I offered the state and our local museum several artifacts and they turned them down. They actually closed our local museum and the state really doesn't have a place for them! Lack of funding!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006

Robert,
Can you discribe some of your artifacts and or provide photos.
I have a Museum that WILL be interested.
THANKS
PEG LEG

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

PegLeg,

I have decided to hold on to the wooden sheave Darren, Dave(xXx) and I found it near a phosphate mine last year. I reported it to the state and at the time wanted to donate it to the local museum. Come to find out, they had closed it down and did not know when they were going to reopen.

Since then I just decided to keep it. Its a neat conversation piece anyway.

What is interesting is it is almost exact to one they have displayed at the fisher museum in Sebastian. Mine still has the bronze hub even and the wood is in good shape. I will dig up apicture if possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread