How many are left?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are thousands of wrecks yet to be found.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A 'Popular Mechanics' article dated back to 2012:
e41682844cd78bc8e30e1e08e9de5902.jpg

0344c3c1224b872b55a2ee6f21403f18.jpg

Common sense dictates that your numbers are only going to be as good as the available records... So I'd believe it is extremely safe to say that after you sum up all the recorded losses, that number is gonna be lowballed like a mother bear.

Its human nature to roam - and when ya take into account the amount of navigable water that covers the earth and the navigational/survivability measures we have today that they didn't - it has to be assumed that shipwrecks are strewn about like pulltabs!

I have a limited understanding of shipwrecks - but the real question here is how many years worth of suspended salvage rights is Spain gonna cause by laying claim to every wooden-hulled wreck found?!?!

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is lots of money and time to find them.Then more money and time to work them.Who has lots of money here?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to say 1000's but millions? Wow I had no idea they built that many ships.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to say 1000's but millions? Wow I had no idea they built that many ships.

I hear what your saying 100%, i just posted the article!

Humoring the idea, however - there is a huge difference between the stated possibility of up to 1 million ships, and MILLIONS of ships, haha!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
s.c.shooter

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I should have been more clear,lol! I meant Spanish galleons lost between the new world and Spain.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I should have been more clear,lol! I meant Spanish galleons lost between the new world and Spain.
That would be a large percentage of the billions of dollars worth of treasure underwater. Spanish galleons were the military navel vessels, so check on the number Spain had built during the looting period.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most transportation involved water.
Easiest way to get around.

Ports back in these days were teaming with ships...
Literally packed.
There was a time when a major work force in the world were called "wreckers"... they did nothing but salvage wrecks that washed ashore or shallows.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the book "West of the Bull", plenty of silver & gold off the Florida coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions