Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
President Juan Manuel Santos -
"There are a lot of owners who are now popping up.
No sir, this is the Colombian people’s cultural heritage”

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Colombia is not a signatory of the 2001 UNESCO treaty that recognizes ownership of sunken ships at sea to the country of the vessels’ origin. The Bogota government also does not recognize the jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice at The Hague."

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Like I have previously stated...
This wreck was found 30 years ago.
And will also be pursued by the party who found it originally.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spain Spain Spain...and future salvage efforts.
How about this proposal? Sounds fair to me? Thoughts?
How about this...any wrecks, wrecksites....that Spain intends to lay claim to or may have future claim to, if they can prove they are indeed Espanola at the time of sinking...would be allowed the following listed below. Based from actual tax of time period.

Pre 1723 Vessels - Spain can lay claim to 1/5th of the manifest, excluding any private individuals items, belongings, who may have sailed on such vessel at the time of loss.
Any vessel lost after 1723- Spain would be allowed 10% of such manifest items, excluding all private individuals and such manifest articles of such, on said vessels.

I see this most fair...for Spain at the time indeed incur costs for supplying such vessels and bountiful voyages in search of and obtaining treasures, I will give them that much.
But that's all. 20% before 1723 shipwrecks...10% for wrecks after 1723. That's what the tax was back then anyways. Correct?
This wreck will be interesting on how it goes thru the "legal" system(s)

I almost forgot to add this. Spain would be have to incur fair share of costs incurred from salvage of such vessels. Reason, they are to l*!#! to do it for themselves.

Scott

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Scott I would say that Spain get zero because they know where the ships sank from their records and the fact that they waited over 300 years to claim them. They are ABANDONED and whoever finds them are entitled to the spoils!

Last edited:

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hola Finn
Treasure hunters keep making statements about Spain's greed and its " Economic " Can anybody tell me when Spain has sold any of its recovered wrecks ???
The best example is the Mercedes , not one coin SOLD ! They currently have a exhibition traveling around Spain, currently in Cadiz .
So how can it be Economic ???
It will end up in museum ,Just like the Mercedes . And I guarantee if Colombia works with Spain, Spain will recover it with archaeologist's from both countries

Not one coin sold, you say. That is probably true. Instead of selling coins, the gold is credited to Central Bank gold reserve. There it adds to banks liquidity.

It's basically the same thing as when those precious metal artifacts from pre colonial cultures in South America were melted and struck to coins and introduced to state monetary system. Now these coins are not re melted but they will become paper gold.

Basic economics

Salud

Finn

Last edited:

Stanislav M

Oct 30, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 70. Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This spanish politics, how politics gangsters. Not spend money on hunting for old spanish ships, take when other find ships. get treasure free

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one coin sold, you say. That is probably true. Instead of selling coins, the gold is credited to Central Bank gold reserve. There it adds to banks liquidity. It's basically the same thing as when those precious metal artifacts from pre colonial cultures in South America were melted and struck to coins and introduced to state monetary system. Now these coins are not re melted but they will become paper gold. Basic economics Salud Finn
Finn , what a load off Bu----st , it cost Spain lots off Euros to return the Mercedes coins . I was at the Madrid Museum and you only have give a donation if you wanted too Spain does not sell its heritage !!!! It save it, so every body can see it ! Spain is happy for all its wrecks to be put in Museum's , Just don't try and sell them on eBay !!! Salud Finn

Last edited:

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
colombialogo.jpg

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Attachments

• colo-MMAP-md.jpg
    colo-MMAP-md.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 105
  • District of COLUMBIA.gif
    District of COLUMBIA.gif
    49.5 KB · Views: 97
  • COLUMBUS.jpg
    COLUMBUS.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Pre-Columbian Artifact.jpg
    Pre-Columbian Artifact.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 86

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I doubt you'll find very many wild-eyed treasure hunters who care to be grammar nazis. 8-)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It wasn't directed at your post, John, but Panfilo's, though it could apply to yours as well. My tone was joking, and somewhat snobbish as I tend to be a stickler on grammar myself. Sorry. Once again, the lack of tone and facial expression on internet posts fails to communicate the intent.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed... that is also why... TEXTING SUCKS ! ! !

Tis why the phone was invented to begin with... to eliminate the need to type/write to communicate over distance.

Whats really LAME is ...

People text on PHONES ! heh (anyone else here see the irony of this)...

BUT...
I do text...
TO PEOPLE I DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO !

Texting while driving... IS that not the DUMBEST thing EVER.
And what kills me is the masses do it.
People have just gone stupid.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Spain's view is why be a farmer --if you can just step in and claim the finished "crop" after all the labor and expense of the "farming " has been done for you ... lazy greedy buggers ...their mindset haven't changed a bit since they used the slave labor of indains to get the silver , gold and gems in the first place and now they use the labors of others (treasure hunters) to "recover it" for them for free --they paid nothing then to their "slaves" and pay nothing now to the salvors...... so things haven't changed that much in hundreds of years.... still enslaving others for their benefit

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread