Colombia fights U.S. diver for treasure

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Has the govt and its people made any effort to find or salvage any of the wrecks in their territory?

for many reason: No budget to make a salvage, they don't care, etc. etc.
For more information visit here http://www.gobiernoenlinea.gov.co/home_ciudadanos.aspx
and they going to answer all your question about "why",....

not to belabor the point, but you're only making an assumption that it is "Their" money. That is what the entire fight is about... Who owns it?

According with news paper articles from Bogota, Colombia and others sources, the San Jose lay on the bottom sea in Colombian Waters.

I don't understand some folks here in tr'net. If you go to detect in any US National Park and you're caught, sent to jail, nobody say anything, because it's the law to protect our parks, patrimony, etc.

However

if you go to any foreigner country to salvage any wreck and you're not allowed because the deserve to protect theirs patrimony,...... everybody get mad!!!!

I give up

Amona

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I just wanted to clarify my position on this issue. I couldn't care less who owns the wreck, or where it lay, or the reasons Columbia never tried to salvage it.

The reason I have a problem with the Columbian govt on this matter is simple. Sea Search (and all those involved with this project) spent millions of dollars to find and survey and hopefully profit from this wreck. They did this all BASED ON REPRESENTATIONS AND A CONTRACT WITH THE COLUMBIAN GOVERNMENT. The percentages were set, everything was in order, and then (with a change of regime) the Government decided that they didn't like the deal that was already in place and unilaterally changed the contract. That is my problem.

It is extortion by the government, plain and simple. The deal was in place, the contracts signed, then millions invested. Had none of that happend, had the government said from the beginning "the wreck is ours and you get nothing (or in this case 5%?)" then the investors would have moved onto another project instead of sinking millions into a project. They RELIED on the representations made BY THE GOVERNMENT. What the government of columbia did is considered "Fraud by Inducement". There is no difference in me telling you that I'll sell you my house for 100,000, taking a $50,000 deposit, and then saying, "oh, by the way, the house is now $500,000... and you can't have your deposit back"

steve

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You read any of the books written by treasure salvors who have had dealing with foreign governments and they all have had the deals changed or were kicked out of the country when they had solid findings and something to go after.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
It is extortion by the government, plain and simple. The deal was in place, the contracts signed, then millions invested. Had none of that happend, had the government said from the beginning "the wreck is ours and you get nothing (or in this case 5%?)" then the investors would have moved onto another project instead of sinking millions into a project. They RELIED on the representations made BY THE GOVERNMENT. What the government of Colombia did is considered "Fraud by Inducement". There is no difference in me telling you that I'll sell you my house for 100,000, taking a $50,000 deposit, and then saying, "oh, by the way, the house is now $500,000... and you can't have your deposit back

According what I readed, Armada company (?) signed a contract with the past government in power during the 80's and they got the 50% agreement when they salvage the San Jose, now the actual government said, 5% or nothing, which it is unfair. If Armada company invested already, ( I don't know about that) signed for the 50%, then you're right.Colombia government should honor the agreement no matter what government is in power.

My point is: If colombia say from the beginning 5% for you and 95% for us, then I agree with that porcentages.

Amona

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread