Florida

Attachments

• Anegada.jpg
    Anegada.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 486

SaltyCracker

Greenie
Feb 19, 2007
There is a four wheel which patrols the beaches even out of season, the fisherman watch everything and everyone else, and a National parks boat on the reef usually a fisherman in uniform with unidentified boat, I vacationed there and I have a friend who is too old to dive he was stopped metal detecting on a stretch remote when the guy on the four wheeler showed, much to his embarrasement. Anegadians look after their investment. Good luck there young man.
Slty

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Thanks for the reply Salty,
I'm not actually going there, I'm just waxing romantic imagining what must be under the sand there.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here is another prime example of STUPIDY.
Why could there not be a Marine Museum constructed from what every is recovered. This will bring in TOURIST and maybe a few Charter boats as well.
Just think of all the History that is rotting away.
Can someone tell me how this could be a National Park when people are living there-do they not have a say. Those living ther could form their own Republic and tell the Goverment to LEAVE.
Peg Leg

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg... Anegada is a British Virgin Island down by Tortola. Beautiful place...

Overall it is not very populated and the locals like it that way! I knew the government appointed "Keeper of the Wrecks" down there and the historical background of this and the surrounding islands is amazing, however they don't want to become the Bahamas in respect to tourism and treasure hunting.

I believe there is a small shipwreck museum on Saba Rock (which was owned by the Keeper of the Wrecks and is an awesome off the beaten path stop over for anyone plying those waters). Yes Anegada does have a "program" in place as far as working "their" wrecks so they are not just rotting away... but that program does not allow for "outsiders" to come in and pillage.

Hope that info helps...

Phips

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Perhaps someday someone will develop the technology to leave the "cultural heritage artifacts" in place and just take pictures of them to display.
It seems that "some" folks have decided that everything should stay just as it is and never be disturbed. It's a good thing that mind-set has only recently become prevalent, or we'd all be sitting somewhere in Europe wondering which monarch we should bow to.
I do NOT get it.
I'm with Southernhunter...damn, wouldn't you like to be able to hunt that reef with a MD and an airlift...to start..

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Is this the only island where there are people living on the island and who has control of these islands.
I also noticed that like other Archaeologist they have the best collection of artifacts. ::).
Peg Leg

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Is this the only island where there are people living on the island and who has control of these islands.
I also noticed that like other Archaeologist they have the best collection of artifacts. .
Peg Leg

Did you decide when you going to fly to Anegada to know more about that island?

Let me know,

Amona

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know Pegleg is busy getting the Expo organized and likely cannot fit a trip to the BVI into his schedule, so I took the liberty of finding some online resources about Anegada. There are affixed here:
http://www.b-v-i.com/Anegada/default.htm
http://www.bvitourism.com/anegada
http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/bv/agmap.shtml

While I was doing the above research I happened across some links that may be of interest to those of us living and/or interested in the Caribbean region.
The first is a link to newspapers and radio stations from Antigua to Trinidad:
http://www.caribbeannewspapers.com/
The CANA News-http://www.cananews.net/

and Mona Island < Amona's home? > has an interesting history as well...though I see the population of the island consists of a resident biologist and Puerto Rican DNR rangers. http://topuertorico.org/city/mona.shtml

Geez...I'm inspired now...I think I'll go watch "Pirates of the Caribbean"! :o
ack..I better get back to work instead.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I know of a group of Marine Archaeologist that may be interested in doing some serious Research in this area.
I am just trying to get a few things understood before any money is spent or Grants are applied for.
This is not for me. I have enough things on my plate at the present time to really get involved.
All I am looking for is INFORMTION.
Peg leg

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
I know Pegleg is busy getting the Expo organized and likely cannot fit a trip to the BVI into his schedule, so I took the liberty of finding some online resources about Anegada]

PegLeg hate me, I don't know why?

The caribbean area is one of the best place for Metal Detecting on land and sea, much better than here, Florida,...ohh yea!!

Amona

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
ropefish,
This is great information and gives me a place to start.
This is the type of place that my wife is looking to visit.
If one of my projects is successful I might think about buying a place in this area.
Gotta think about retireing one of these days ;D ;D ::).
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread