Beach sand:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
A while back I posted something about the current from Jupiter Inlet appearing to be going south as it appeared according to the dark water during low tide.
I was told that this was not correct so I went in another direction BUT after reading what the NOAA is saying YES the beach sand does go south-why I have no idea but certain things I am researching are making a little more sense. Like coral reefs have a higher build up of sand on the North side than on the South side. To be honest I am posting this at the same time I am thinking on several different things at the same time. Like ballast rock would be no different than a reef which means more sand on the North side than on the South side. What I am saying is ANY object laying in the ocean like cannons or wooden structures would be easier to explore on the South side.
This would apply to the Beaches as well. After looking at some beach areas this becomes very apparent. Look at the skinny beach areas and you will see that there are buildup sections on the south end of EVERY THIN strip of beach.
So what I am saying is that if you MD any of the beaches concentrate on the thin sections first because the depth to bedrock will be much thinner but if you really want to find artifacts go to the west of the thinnest sections of beach you can find and check it out.
Yes I know that I saying some weird things but spend a few minutes thinking about this cause I just MAY be right.
Look at the maps.
Peg Leg

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On the east coast of Florida, beach sand moves SOUTH due to strong wave action. Strong storms in winter are generally "Northeasters", while in the summer the prevaling wind is from the SOUTHeast, and relatively weak. The net annual result from this is..southerly movement. There is also a weak longshore current that moves generally south. This merges with the gulf stream influence south of Stuart, and often all the way down to Jupiter. It is usually not strong enough to transport much sand. The finer the material, the easier it is to transport. Coarse material, steep beach. Stabilized inlets cause accelerated erosion south of them, and the only natural inlet left is Matanzas.

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i just noticed the north jetty in boca had a nice cut of sand taken out. sand that never moves. i wasn't expecting any cut since it been so flat down here for months. i found many coins from 1980's down in some dark sand. then a big hit just as it was getting dark, had to get down on my knees to dig. 2ft down a corroded, very heavy wedge shaped object 1&1/2ft long.ha ha i thought, i got me a silver bar , I'm a hero . i wrapped it in my now ruined shirt and carried it under my arm one mile,soft sand walk back to my car.all the while wondering how much 70lbs of silver is worth. it turned out to be a tooth from the scoop of a large front-end loader. any way good practice for when i find a real one north side of Jupiter inlet this weekend.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
sebastian inlet.jpg
I would say you are right Pegleg. If you look at the Sebastian Inlet jetties, you will see that sand is accumulating on the north side and the beach is wider. The rocks and concrete are preventing the sand from moving south.

Attachments

• sebastian inlet.jpg
    sebastian inlet.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 348

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
current and sand generally flows south creating the jetty effect. eroding sand from the south part of a protrusion building up sand on the northside. however during these still summer months the current has been from the south which could reverse the effect. a small chop from a t-storm could help thing along maybe. what I'm saying is, could be a good time to check the north side of jetty's which are usually overburdened with sand.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Wave action causes the net transport of sand, aided by a weak southerly countercurrent along the coast. In the summer the prevailing winds from the SE move little material north. In the winter, strong storms from the NE move alot of material south. Generally, jetties trap this sand on the north side, where it eventually washes around the tip of the jetty. Once in the high velocity water in the channel, it is carried either offshore or into the mouth of the jetty. In any case, it is lost from the beach system forever.

See you later today in Cocoa Beach!

Bill F.

psdiver

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites/JWFisher Pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you dive or snorkel in this area with a MD from shore?

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
if you sub contract with the fisher company you can. they have the salvage rights from ft pierse to sabastion inlet! as a lone human you can md from the low tide mark to the dunes. good luck. hope i helped! hope i am right. thats how i understand it. ben

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions