**Perfect** salvage boat for 1715 type recovery?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this awhile back. Shhh Don't tell AARC it's a V-hull and fiberglass :occasion14:

5365538_20150828111351542_1_LARGE.jpg

It's a converted 43' Hatteras - 1973 vintage. Solid hull that'll take a pounding in the inlet run.

It caught my eye and then I thought of how many vintage Sportfish and Motoryachts there are in South Florida and other places. Many of them are in need of "TLC" as owners often state. Many are "upper structure" rehab/rot issues, some are projects abandoned with the interiors ripped out, which saves works if you're looking to tear down for a large work deck like the pictured vessel. I've seen them for free - haul away, and/or many under $10,000 USD.

If you're into manual labor...

Here's the link. They did a nice job on it...

Used 1973 Hatteras Commercial Fishing Vessel, Virginia Beach, Va - 23455 - BoatTrader.com

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They did, indeed, do a great job. That is a very capable hull. I am saving that ad and every picture. I've been threatening to do exactly the same thing to a 35-50' hull for my next project, except leaving a little more space/livability in the forward house. :) My next salvage project may be a 1968 40' ocean going houseboat in 3' of water. No tri-mix needed!
As a case in point to what AU Dreamer is saying there is a current Craigslist ad in SoFlo selling a damaged 1987 46' Post Sportfisher that reads like this:
"handyman special ! this is a 46 ft post 1987 detroit diesel with 671 ti motors that run great ! house was burned, but has been removed. this is a great boat at a great bargain, needs handy work. please contact with serious inquiries only. need to have the boat removed asap. located at hilsboro inlet fishing center. please contact edward marshburn with questions or offers ! will accept best offer."
He's asking 10K. Great hull, intact engines, probably get it for under the price of one of those 6-71s.
I am very fortunate to live where I live. I would say lucky, but I moved here on purpose 11 years ago for the access to the ocean without the crowding found farther south as well as someday being able to work on the 1715 Fleet wrecks.
With our boats we do some commercial fishing, a good bit of diving and spearfishing and run some crab traps now and then instead of locking the boats up after treasure hunting season is over. My idea of the perfect boat for the 1715 Fleet may therefore be somewhat different than that of some other folks. Heck..every time we go out the Inlet on a glassy day, I look to the southeast and think..."5 hrs @ 20 kts and we're eating fresh caught conch in the Bahamas".....we just HAVE to do that soon.
Here's a picture of the Post Sportfish
1 burnt post.jpg

OP
OP
silverking

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm as big a fan of generic pleasure boating as anybody is ... BUT there's something really sweet about a work boat, a boat designed to actually accomplish a specified task beyond providing the pleasure of an afternoon on the water for it's occupants.

As noted by their posters, these last two pictures are great examples of how, what might be a turn-off to a typical pleasure boat buyer, suddenly becomes an excellent opportunity for somebody looking for an affordable treasure hunting vessel, and willing to put a little elbow grease into the project.

Again as noted, all that rotten housework really wasn't needed in a treasure hunter anyway!

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two successful workboats designed with treasure hunting in mind... left, Little Lady used in the 1554 Padre Island wreck(s) salvage by Platoro, and right, Derelict used by Real 8 on the 1715 wreck(s) salvage. Not pretty but completely utilitarian.

Attachments

• LittleLadyAndDerelict.jpg
    LittleLadyAndDerelict.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 119

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Heck..every time we go out the Inlet on a glassy day, I look to the southeast and think..."5 hrs @ 20 kts and we're eating fresh caught conch in the Bahamas".....we just HAVE to do that soon.

Talk is cheap Ropes.....ha ha, see you later in the summer then?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now with all this...
I am seriously... bored.

:)

Well then back to the ol drawing board.
A toon for a work platform I could tolerate .
The thing here in freshwater ,once the wave chop rather than swells is considered in construction , (that chop can be hard on some ocean designed hulls) , is multiple cases of people and other items ending up funneled twixt the toons and getting chopped up.
I've watched an acquaintances dogs riding each on the front of a tube while underway.
Not my cup of tea.

How then to keep from inhaling flotsam and stray passengers both?
Guards up front should keep whats supposed to be on deck on deck but whats in the water , needs deflecting or arrest up front.
A net or bridge not efficient and would absolutely kill performance of lifting strakes on high speed craft , or any craft for that matter.
Running a jetted engine is great ,where allowed perhaps but there are some lakes allowing no gas engines.
A relations bro runs an electric pontoon you could probably ski behind..

Design away AARC!

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Heck..every time we go out the Inlet on a glassy day, I look to the southeast and think..."5 hrs @ 20 kts and we're eating fresh caught conch in the Bahamas".....we just HAVE to do that soon.

Talk is cheap Ropes.....ha ha, see you later in the summer then?

Talk is, indeed, cheap. Diesel fuel is getting cheaper. From the Inlet bridge it is 100 miles to the west side of the Little Bahama Bank. 120 to West End (if you steer a good course) to check in and a whopping 500 to scenic Clarence Town. I need a bigger, faster boat!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR... go with these guys...
There is room...
They bring a cooler of beer as well
AND they bring their own table so there is "no waiting" for a table.

f6decbbc65deb3faa76d8278972c3db3.jpg

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two successful workboats designed with treasure hunting in mind... left, Little Lady used in the 1554 Padre Island wreck(s) salvage by Platoro, and right, Derelict used by Real 8 on the 1715 wreck(s) salvage. Not pretty but completely utilitarian.

The Landing craft pictured is like the one David Fasold, (Noah's Ark fame) used for salvage. Dell

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GME's dig boat updated

Attachments

• April Newsletter PDF.pdf
    462 KB · Views: 96

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wish I had a dig boat like that.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dig boat

Nice boat Bobby. Hope you can make it to the cookout.

thanks guys, we bought this in 2012 in NJ already set up, so we got 3 good years out of her, now she is good for 6-8 more with no major work, everything was replaced, Team work really pays off here at GME

good luck to everyone this year

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 1966 Ski Nautique with a Chrysler 318 in it is going to be my new dig boat. boat2.JPG DSC_1432.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread