**Perfect** salvage boat for 1715 type recovery?

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What would your perfect salvage boat for 1715 type recovery look like?

In general, rather than something like the Fisher boats working the Quicksands, which stay on station swinging the hook for days or weeks at a time ... this would be the boat you work all day, and then take back to the dock each evening.

Looking at many of the boats that have worked the 1715 wrecks over the years, there is no real "winner" in terms of one single style or LOA of boat (there's lots of good pictures of 1715 salvage boats in SignumOps "The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial Yearbook").

Perhaps the Chesapeake Deadrise variety, in the 33'-38' range?
Chesapeake deadrise.jpg

Wheelhouse forward, low windage, doesn't rock too much on the hook with a fairly flat deadrise aft, huge work area on deck, lots of gunnel for things like extra-wide dive ladders, hoists, etc.
There have been a few of this style boat work the 1715 wrecks in the past, and they're spoken of highly by those who worked on them.

What would be your "must haves" in terms of a salvage boat for this kind of work?
Any other hull/boat style as a preference over the above?

Cheers

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I will be watching this thread with interest..I was literally going to post a thread regarding the EXACT same subject in the upcoming week..and ask what people thought of the Chesepeake Bay style hull form in regards to day work....Looking forward to hearing what some of the "been there, done that" folks suggest.

Ag

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One that moves lots of sand!

Some free time today since the "big game" is next week!

That's pretty much a good setup you posted. Most operations come down to funds for something that works vs the perfect "forever boat" but that can be personal opinion too.

Another part is what site or where on a site you might put your primary focus on. The bottom terrain is different at different sites. So things like draft are more critical at some sites vs others and also within the same site.

Twin engines will move exponentially (not just doubled) more sand with blowers of the same size as a single because of the extra water column pushing and spacing between the two blowers. So twin 20 inch blowers would move approximately 3+ times the sand as a single 20 inch blower as an example.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverking

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great info. Thanks for extrapolating the difference between one blower vs. two. I didn't have a clue that it was exponential.

I'm looking around, but really not seeing anything that seems to cover all the bases like a Chesapeake Deadrise does. Even the Chesapeake has more deadrise at the bow than you really need for Treasure Coast salvage, as it would seem you're probably never really going to let yourself be out in 4' - 5' swells. Deadrise equals draft when the boat is stationary, and it seems the ideal 1715 boat these days needs to be able to get as close to shore as possible at some points in their hunt.

Sportsfisherman and Convertable style boats have massive forward cabins and more draft than a Chesapeake, really not helpful in a boat strictly for salvage purposes. It would seem to me that working deck space with a smaller pilothouse for electronics, computers, small work desk, etc would be more appropriate.

There are certainly no real restrictions on power once you get over 35' - 40' on a Chesapeake, big twins with tons of torque and huge blowers would be no problem with such a wide beam.

Given that many (if not most) boat choices for salvage are made with limited funds, I'm just thinking out loud (daydreaming really) about the **ideal** 1715 salvage vessel.

To me, with big twins and blowers, the Chesapeake D. looks like it may have all the bases covered.
chesapeake deadrise.JPG

chesapeake deadrise 2.jpg

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Judging from recent past performance, I'd have to say that Brent's Capitana, Greg Bounds' Gold Hound, the Schmitt family's Aarrr Booty and Bonnie Schubert's Gold Hawg (as the four top money boats in the last 5 years (as far as I know)) have to have something going for them. The Capitana with her fiberglass hull, shallow draft and tunneled props and the Gold Hound can just about dig their way back to A1A and have scored the big shallow water finds of late. The Aarrr Booty is certainly not a particularly shallow draft vessel and the old Gold Hawg drew about 2 1/2-3 feet if I recall correctly. Bonnie is now driving the Gold Quest which is a gorgeous 45' Hatteras with about a 3'6" draft. Both Bonnie's find and the Schmitt's find(s) were in deeper water... say 10'+.
There is no perfect boat. As Chris said, most of us use what we can afford. The perfect boat is the one you can afford to buy, operate and maintain and one that is very dependable to cut down on missed opportunities when the weather is good but the boat is broken.
The really important part is where you blow the holes.
I love those sexy deadrise boats though....something about those curves. :) There is nothing at all wrong with having something with some freeboard and some high, flared bows out there when you have to come in through the Sebastian Inlet after the weather has gone bad. Several boat crews had 'stimulating' experiences out there last summer.
My wish list? Twin late model Cummins diesels in something that looks like a deadrise but with tunnels and a flybridge. Lots of shade for the aft deck spaces and an air conditioned cabin, dual controls so when using it as a dive boat in the off season you can operate from the flybridge and keep track of your divers. Good electronics w/radar and BIG external monitors. If you want to get really efficient, you can add in a set of rear facing controls at the back of the flybridge, a la Ocean Star, so you can look right at the blowers and the divers from a good, high vantage point when operations are underway. Oh....and big, full fuel tanks!
Start today. Summer is coming fast.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging from recent past performance, I'd have to say that Brent's Capitana, Greg Bounds' Gold Hound, the Schmitt family's Aarrr Booty and Bonnie Schubert's Gold Hawg (as the four top money boats in the last 5 years (as far as I know)) have to have something going for them. The Capitana with her fiberglass hull, shallow draft and tunneled props and the Gold Hound can just about dig their way back to A1A and have scored the big shallow water finds of late. The Aarrr Booty is certainly not a particularly shallow draft vessel and the old Gold Hawg drew about 2 1/2-3 feet if I recall correctly. Bonnie is now driving the Gold Quest which is a gorgeous 45' Hatteras with about a 3'6" draft. Both Bonnie's find and the Schmitt's find(s) were in deeper water... say 10'+.
There is no perfect boat. As Chris said, most of us use what we can afford. The perfect boat is the one you can afford to buy, operate and maintain and one that is very dependable to cut down on missed opportunities when the weather is good but the boat is broken.
The really important part is where you blow the holes.
I love those sexy deadrise boats though....something about those curves. :) There is nothing at all wrong with having something with some freeboard and some high, flared bows out there when you have to come in through the Sebastian Inlet after the weather has gone bad. Several boat crews had 'stimulating' experiences out there last summer.
My wish list? Twin late model Cummins diesels in something that looks like a deadrise but with tunnels and a flybridge. Lots of shade for the aft deck spaces and an air conditioned cabin, dual controls so when using it as a dive boat in the off season you can operate from the flybridge and keep track of your divers. Good electronics w/radar and BIG external monitors. If you want to get really efficient, you can add in a set of rear facing controls at the back of the flybridge, a la Ocean Star, so you can look right at the blowers and the divers from a good, high vantage point when operations are underway. Oh....and big, full fuel tanks!
Start today. Summer is coming fast.

I lived aboard / worked on a famous boat like what you describe...
Twin Cummings 500's...
Slat Juniper hull.
Only of its kind...
Bertram.
Was custom built for Alexander Grahams Bell's grand daughter as a wedding gift.
She was a 'bute.
Spent years on and off that boat.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh...
Mine... Cost a fraction...
I can run in 2-3 day intervals... for less than $100.
INCLUDING AIR.

More stable than any of those.
And I draw 12 inches.

Custom built by me...
Took one year full time.
All Aluminum and stainless.

I am assuming the aluminum and stainless materials contact one another. How do you fasten the two ?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC post a pic of your rig.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hull (dual) ... decks...Rails... Top... all Alum...
Everything else...Stainless...Hardware's... etc. All bolts Anti seized.
Every chain... every clip... every everything not associated with "body"... Stain.
Three dive ladders... Custom Alum as well... with custom stainless brackets...
Rear decks ... all boxes... Diamond Alum.
ALL hardware on trailer including cables... boxes etc... Stain... and Alum as well.

Custom made trailer... hacked from used bigger trailer.
Duel axel 15's... Boat sits 2+ feet off the ground.
Can drive IN... ON... OVER... And drop anywhere.

I can get and dive in areas others just dream about... easily.
I can three point off ANY beach within shore.

Pulled by 30 foot complete custom duely 30 foot 460-7.5 RV... she will pull MY and YOUR boat out of the hole.
I am at the tow limit of 59 feet. (60 is law)

When I say "stainless"... I mean REAL stainless.
Not the cheap crap that sticks to a magnet.

Even all locks throughout boat... trailers... boxes... etc. High grade stainless. AND RV....
Also gutted and redone... Black Starboard countertops and Stainless...
And I polish ZERO.
I can let her sit for three years under an Oak tree... Scrub brush ... soap and water... 30 mins shes new.

I can live out of Marinas or anywhere I like / permitted... And have... and do.

And maybe if opportunity ever arises... will again.

Thought about taking her for a long run to Nome Alaska... for no ones doing anything here.
Too far... and TOO COLD.... especially for someone who does not even like wearing a shirt.

Mail boxes? imaging sonar with GPS? tow-fish for mags, detector?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copy cats... MUST be kept at bay. :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverking

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This morning I see that the "New World Explorer" is for sale in Boats and Harbors for $490,000 or best offer (also available as a charter.) 110' x 24', all aluminum, built in 1999. Beautiful boat.
https://www.boats-and-harbors.com/controls/viewFile.ashx?id=1516&type=displayAdFile
Their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/newworldexplorer/?rc=p
Perfect for the 1715 Fleet? I don't know...but if you believe as many do, that the biggest finds left are in deep water, here ya go!

Beautiful to be sure. Won't be able to do that three point hook-up in 5' of water, but as you say ... the good stuff may be deep!

HUGE BLOWERS! ... and with twin 12V MANS ... probably be a sight to see :)
New World Explorer blowers.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a spot ?
Let me "tag along"...
Looking for something ?
I will find it.
Just make sure its legal... And I get my share come divvy day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silverking

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AARC, still would be nice to see a pic ... doubt anybody reading this thread would be anything but appreciative to see what others consider **their** ideal salvage craft!

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just have no guts.

If someone tried to sell me a nearly 30 foot aluminum multi-hull put together with stainless fastners, I would run as fast as I could.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like what you are picturing... I assure you.
Simple design...
Utilizing existing design of common "non thought of" parts from a certain type of boat...
Redone from ground up...
With every pound of weight properly "assigned".
At first glance...
You would think... "what the".
Remember...
Sometimes...
Less is more. :)

Ironically... I have to laugh... because I always wanted to make this boat... and all the while when dreaming it...
All along I knew how superior it would be for diving.

Wait till I build the next one... one day perhaps... time with a reason and money willing...
The one I REALLY want to build...
Where everything is from scratch...
Instead of re-inventing existing design... and adding and subtracting.

It will leave a skid mark over other "new" designs in the field. :P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just have no guts.

If someone tried to sell me a nearly 30 foot aluminum multi-hull put together with stainless fastners, I would run as fast as I could.

LOL... your a funny guy.

I turned down money for this left and right my friend.
You may "run" away...
Others will run as well...
Right to it.
heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread