8th Annual THs cookout challenge!!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I've got boats, dive gear, GPS and time.
Someone needs to bring calm seas and good weather.
Bill, that sounds great. What I left out of the post. I forgot to mention was that the non ferrous hits were gotten with the 1 meter search coil towed inside a small raft behind the survey boat. The survey boat had a 100 ft extension cable between the search coil in the raft and the pulse star II which was in the survey boat. This means that whatever was down there was BIG, because the 1 meter search coil doesn't pick up 1 or a few coins. The target has to be bigger.

I wouldn't even mind 2 boats doing the survey. One with the pulse star II and the other boat with a boat mounted GPS. I hope that Aquanut, salvor6 and sadds669 can make the survey. I'd even like to see Dell and anyone else with their long range locators give it a try. All are welcome to participate.

Attachments

• 12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
A

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd love to be a part of that lil foray...if you guys will have me. Let me know what I can do to help.

Ag

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to be a part of that lil foray...if you guys will have me. Let me know what I can do to help.

Ag
All are welcome...

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
As of today, only five people have donated to this cookout. Where are all the donations that are apparently"rolling in"?
John,
You caught me. I've been going to the hospital and Doctors a few times a weeks for the past few weeks and they hammer $65 co pay for every visit. I didn't expect these bills, so it left me a little short. The major treatments end next Friday. Before I read your post, I just finished telling the wife that On the Monday after next Friday, that we had to get a bank money order for $50 and send it to seeker for the cookout.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've only made it to one cookout, and it's definitely worth going. But it's not unreasonable to charge a modest entry fee. Why not charge $20 or more to cover the costs, and give tickets? Use the tickets for drawing door prizes.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
8th Annual TH's cookout challenge!!

$125 sent........

Last edited:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm getting closer, John. Just not quite there yet. I'll definitely be donating. I do like Darren's idea of charging & doubling the tickets for a free drawing (in addition to charging for extra raffle tickets). Perhaps that's been tried & failed? If not, I say give it a try. Since only 5 have donated so far, you can probably make the change this year if you want to give it a shot.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I'm getting closer, John. Just not quite there yet. I'll definitely be donating. I do like Darren's idea of charging & doubling the tickets for a free drawing (in addition to charging for extra raffle tickets). Perhaps that's been tried & failed? If not, I say give it a try. Since only 5 have donated so far, you can probably make the change this year if you want to give it a shot.

I'm no longer doing these cookouts, Chuck Graves (Seeker41) has taken over. The only time I really accepted donations was for a special benefit cookout for another Treasure Hunter. The real problem with doing these cookouts is Chuck doesn't have the approximately $2500 front money to put these on. Do any of you want to attempt it? I'm sure he'd be glad to turn it over to you.
Aquanut John

Attachments

• Cookout Flyer.jpg
    Cookout Flyer.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 86

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John, no one is trying to tell anyone they're not doing a good job. We're just offering ideas, and trying to help.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I'm no longer doing these cookouts, Chuck Graves (Seeker41) has taken over. The only time I really accepted donations was for a special benefit cookout for another Treasure Hunter. The real problem with doing these cookouts is Chuck doesn't have the approximately $2500 front money to put these on. Do any of you want to attempt it? I'm sure he'd be glad to turn it over to you.
Aquanut John
John, Some of us know that it takes a lot of money to put on these cookouts. I know or suspect that when you put these on that you never covered the costs.
I hope that more people step forward BEFORE the cookout or we may be in trouble to continue them. I also think it would be a Good Idea for Chuck to post at least once a week on Tnet urging people to donate, so that Chuck can get some money to at least cover the costs of food ahead of time. A donation Jar at the cookout would be a Great idea also. For future cookouts, Chuck might want to consider selling tickets. A discount for anyone buying tickets before the cookout and perhaps a $5 or $10 surcharge for those purchasing tickets at the cookout.
I realize that some people can't afford the price of a ticket and exceptions should be made. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• 12670777_986888391347101_253229849969211330_n.jpg
    12670777_986888391347101_253229849969211330_n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 81

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm no longer doing these cookouts, Chuck Graves (Seeker41) has taken over.

Sorry, I knew that. Just responding to the situation, not really thinking who is who, but figuring anyone in a position to make a decision is surely reading all these posts...I hope.

Chuck, you out there?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sounds like a blast. I would like to something similar in Colorado. I have a site and the city would even sponsor. Do you put on a hunt or just a feast? How does the hunt work? Thanks for any info!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks john!!! and thanks to everyone else for your suggestions.

i have no interest in charging $20.00 or whatever per person, dont want the hassle of making sure everyone there has a ticket or wristband or whatever!!! i always liked the laid back nature of these cookouts and when john decided it was to stressful and he could not afford it i did not want to see them end so i volunteered to take over.
there are a lot of upfront? pre-cookout expenses that cause a lot of stress and getting company's to donate prizes for the raffle takes a lot of time and repeated e-mails and phone calls.
please donate what you can pre-cookout !!!

thanks.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chuck you are a good man. I also don't want to see the annual cookout end and I hope it continues for many years. I am sending you an additional $100 to help you out.

OP
OP
A

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh...home sweet home...*grunts*...

Yup..got back at 2:30am after a 22 hr marathon...sighs..actually flew right past Long Island at sunset last night Sads...could see the lights on Clarencetown to portside and 2 minutes later...Conception Island under the starboard wing... considered dropping a lead weight at ya from 31k but alas...was not to be.
Saba good... diving.. good...food...freaking orgasmic. Highlight of the week. Never eaten like that before. Deeper diving for most part...shallow stuff STARTS..at 70/80'.
Did hit a couple of the seamounts, did Diamond Rock. Was lucky enough to hear a mother and calf Humpback whale as the passed by about 3/4 mile off of the Outer Limits dive site, west side of the Island.
Was stoopid enough to take a daypack and walk to the airport from the Windward side...people thought I'd lost my mind..I did too afterwards when the locals informed me it was over 4 1/2 miles lol....
Was a good trip. Got a busy few weeks in front catching up here, than be headed down to meet up with you yahoos end of the month.

Ag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread