New Fl IFP?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sounds like it's similar to South Carolina's program. Has this been passed, or is it in proposal stage?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It says this rule will apply on July 1, 2016.

OP
OP
A

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I'll wait until we here from Taffi...as to impact/input from that side of the aisle..

ag

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Since I know some of our members don't much like to look into every nook and cranny online, I have already done so...
Here you will find the similar Senate bill S 1054 which has been referred to the Governmental Oversight and Accountability committee and was on the agenda for Feb 1 but was "temporarily postponed": https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...b=RelatedBills

and here you will find the analysis presented by the House of Representatives staff. This boils down the whole thing pretty well:https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bil...0803a.EDTS.PDF

In my experience, often when a bill is referred to committee it has a poor chance of coming back out at all.
Of possible interest- Here we have the 2015 Florida Statutes which define what " Objects of historical or archaeological value" are in the eyes of the state of Florida. Find it here: https://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2015/267.115

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks agflit....

I linked your other post from the "Florida" section to the "North American Indian Artifacts" section, and got no response at all....I guess all the Florida guys aren't on there much anymore, because this law affects them more than anyone...I figured it would get some response.

We had a big discussion about this very thing, and even had a separate forum to discuss the possibility of a paid permit system, and what all we would hope to get with the implementation of one. We had hoped for...at least...the revival of the isolated finds program, and...at best...a paid permit system that would also include non-submerged, state land as well. This new proposal is better than just the IFP being brought back, but still doesn't protect the average citizen from prosecution if they pick up something on land other than the river bottoms (and river banks, I believe, by the wording), but, it is a step in the right direction, and now that money is involved...it will be harder for the opposition to knock it down so easily!

I would love the ability to metal detect on state land, with the ability to dig the pinpointed target, and keep it per the permit requirements. It could be done with similar rules, plus the requirement to properly fill the hole and remove all trash targets that were recovered...Maybe a specific rule prohibiting digging non detected targets (such as digging trenches, or sifting, etc.).

There is some major blowback from the usual people from St. Augustine, and FPAN...complete with graphics! This tells me they are more nervous this time!

Florida Proposed House Bill 803/Senate Bill 1054

A quick look around the museums in St. Augustine will show the truth of the matter to these people...All the state owned museums are devoid of real artifacts, for the most part, and all the privately owned ones are full of great items to see...and what few items there are at state sites often are on loan from privately owned sites (mostly from The Fountain of Youth Park).

There is one good response on there, and I put one on there as "Fla. Native"....which has been "awaiting moderation" for a few days. My experience with that group is, they will wait until they have their cronies backing their opinions up, then they will post all the other comments at once, with canned, robotic, "thanks for your interest on our blog" responses, and just drip honey all over the ones that agree with them!

Here is the Forbes article, with one clown even comparing taking an out of context artifact with ISIS...WITH ISIS!!

Forbes Welcome

And here is the force behind the current attempt to put some common sense into the whole thing....They echo A LOT of what we have said on Treasurenet recently...Maybe a member? or at least someone who has our interests in mind.

Tri State Archaeological Society

I don't think this will affect professional treasure salvage any...there are already provisions for that (whether they issue permits or not), and it is for isolated finds, not salvage operations...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread