Margarita Gold

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greg has always been a gold hound.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greg loves margaritas.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The news report said they found 7 gold chains, one 4 foot long, gold links an EO aka encrusted round object possibly a jewelry box and a gold bar.

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Cant they open it while the box is sumerged under salt water? The anticipation would make me crazy but I wouldnt want to jeopardize anything either. So was wondering why they couldnt open it since it is still in the saltwater.
Congrats to the crew!
malady

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its best to conserve a artifact properly then to try and pry open a box an take the chances of breaking off the hinges,or damaging it some other way making it not worth much.just to see whats inside.its better this way,keeps everyone guessing whats really inside.could be just a box of rocks or a bunch of rings or coins.keeping it in saltwater will prevent it from drying out,plus the sea growth will be alot easyer to get off when its soft.the fishers could always xray the box to see whats in it.they dont have a xray system on site,i think they use the local hospital.

i could xray thier box with my xray machine.but my fee would be the contents of the box:)

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Thanks Fisheye for explaining. So is there solution they also mix with the saltwater to soften the hard sea growth?
I hope they post here what is inside.
malady

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
4 1/2 lbs of gold! Silver coins! Chains! Here is the Jewelry Box. I talked to a diver who said "we know what's in it", but would not elaborate. I am sure we will hear soon. It looks like it has been opened, but that's just my take on it.

These guys are working hard on the Margarita trail, they deserve it.

Attachments

• jewelrybox.jpg
    jewelrybox.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 867

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
It appears that the box is silver and look at the shell at the upper left. It does not appear to have been broken so there is a good chance that the lid has not been opened.
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill call greg bounds an find out more about it.i talked to him when he was on his way out to the site that day before they found anything.

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Its just amazing to be able to look at it when a human hasnt in hundreds of years. Its priceless to me.
malady

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didnt think they found the margarita,

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think I'll drink a margarita in their honor.
Congratulations!

OP
OP
crzhors

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Hello HMMM, The Margarita of 1622 was found by Mel Fisher back in the 70's,during the hunt for the Atocha. However the size of the scatter of the Atocha and Margarita is huge,the Atocha trail is more than 10 miles long.For a small privately run salvage company,this guarantees rich finds for a long time coming.The contraband besides the manifested treasure is quite impressive also. The history of the 1622 fleet is a real interesting read! the diving conditions on the Margarita site are a real challenge if you ask anyone who has worked there! 8)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this in a email from the Sub-Arch underwater archie forum from jim sinclair.for those courious about whats in the silver box.

whats do you think the box contains?

1-a box of rocks
2-rings and jewelry
3-silver or gold coins
4-bones
5-a dead smelly fish

To the list,
While I understand that some of you may not want to
sully yourselves by watching I thought that some might
be interested. Tomorrow we will be opening on a live
web-cam broadcast a box found during the ongoing
investigations on the Santa Margarita,1622. This was
the sister ship of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha,1622.

Both vessels have been under constant investigation
for decades under both admiralty claims and permits
from the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary and
NOAA. There are two museums in Florida that feature
collections that are derived from these efforts.

This latest find is a part of a fairly large
collection of Gold chains and gold jewelry that was
recovered this past week. Lest anyone think that we
were only recovering the gold there was also hundreds
of pottery shards, an adz, scissors etc.

All objects were recovered carefully recording their
context on a site that is spread over miles of ocean
bottom.
For those so inclined you can see the opening of the
box via web-cam at
http://www.melfisher.com

We are planning the opening at 2:00PM EST but the web
cam will be operating for a time before that,
For those you so inclined we welcome you...
Jim Sinclair

OP
OP
crzhors

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
In the words of a great Philosopher:" Git 'er Done!"

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
I talked with Taffi earlier. As of right now, they can only peek inside the crack between the lid and the body. They are seeing PEARLS!

Feed goes live at 1:30pm, opening to be around 2pm and feed will shut down at 3:30pm.

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
FISHEYE said:
i could xray thier box with my xray machine.but my fee would be the contents of the box:)

Hey, Fisheye, how come you have an x-ray machine? Can you give me some techniques that work for encrusted stuff (kvp, MaS, per thickness).

Thanks,

Bob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions