Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Aquanut, you might drum up a lot of interest if you told them that if the target isn't a truck load of aluminum beer cans, that you'll give them a case of Captain Morgan.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go buy a lowrance elite 5 DSI downscan charplotter/fish finder it can see 5-6 feet down in the sand.I have one on my striker 37 and i thought i was seeing objects buried in the sand so i called and talked to the lowrance techs and they said that the unit will see into the sand.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Go buy a lowrance elite 5 DSI downscan charplotter/fish finder it can see 5-6 feet down in the sand.I have one on my striker 37 and i thought i was seeing objects buried in the sand so i called and talked to the lowrance techs and they said that the unit will see into the sand.

Thanks Fisheye, But I've got to go deeper. The 8' probe never hit bedrock, so it's deeper than that...

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looking forward to seeing you at the Cookout, John. I've lost 5 lbs...you may not recognize me. :laughing7:
Renting an SBP seems to be the most reasonable alternative unless someone out there owns a survey company. You get recent manufacture equipment and software that was tested before it was shipped and actually works with all of the parts and pieces to make it work in your particular application, instead of something that "should work". Rentals start at about $150 per day/$750 per week. The superiority of the new CHIRP technology is enough, IMHO, to make the rental worthwhile if the alternative is spending your time, fuel and good weather window on something lesser that may or may not give the best results.
There are lots of rental companies. Here are a few:
Marine Equipment Rental Rates - NorthWest Geophysics
EdgeTech 3100P Portable Sub-bottom Profiler
Rent Edgetech Sub-bottom sb-216 and P3100

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Looking forward to seeing you at the Cookout, John. I've lost 5 lbs...you may not recognize me. :laughing7:
Renting an SBP seems to be the most reasonable alternative unless someone out there owns a survey company. You get recent manufacture equipment and software that was tested before it was shipped and actually works with all of the parts and pieces to make it work in your particular application, instead of something that "should work". Rentals start at about $150 per day/$750 per week. The superiority of the new CHIRP technology is enough, IMHO, to make the rental worthwhile if the alternative is spending your time, fuel and good weather window on something lesser that may or may not give the best results.
There are lots of rental companies. Here are a few:
Marine Equipment Rental Rates - NorthWest Geophysics
EdgeTech 3100P Portable Sub-bottom Profiler
Rent Edgetech Sub-bottom sb-216 and P3100

Thanks Bill. BTW,Don't worry, I found that weight you lost and somebody else's too. I'll return it to you at the cookout. I'll put it in the Rum and cokes!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have used various side scans and Geometeric's cesium magnetometers with no real learning curve. Fairly easy to operate physically and software-wise. But I paid to go to a course to learn sub-bottom profiling, and it kicked my tail. It's fairly intricate, though I'm confident there are much smarter guys here than I. 8-)

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sand and gravel is the worst case scenario for SBP. 15 feet under sand is very close to theoretical limit of the low frequency unit. You would get the vertical resolution maybe 10 - 12 inch.
Horizontal resolution depends of your position system accuracy. For standard GPS it would be 20 feet. With normal towed SBP one can't get any useful data for shipwreck survey.

In the document of Barry Clifford's Captain Kidd's Madagascar wreck on Discovery they show briefly how the SBP can be used on wreck site. Grid of rails on fixed distance from the bottom and the towfish moving on those rails at fixed speed. The achieved data would then be processed with suitable software. The result, as shown in a document, can be quite impressive and accurate.

It would take approximately one week of diving, during good weather window, to set up the system and collect the data. If your divers understand and know what they are constructing.

There is the most high end latest tech super SBP commercially available which could do the job easily.

Manufacturers page: GeoChirp 3D - high resolution sub-bottom profiler - Kongsberg Maritime

Developers page with samples: 3D Chirp Sub-bottom profiler

Salud

Finn

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GPR doesn't work in saltwater.

shucker69

Greenie
Apr 6, 2015
Oakville
Detector(s) used
minelab excaliber
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquanut,
Diver Tim said that he would spend a week under water digging to the bottom of your desires as long as you kept sending down hope, more air, rum and orange juice, and those scrumptious tuna fish sandwiches they make at the Casey Key North Jetty !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread