Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the newspapers ?
Don.....

Actually I know right where it is but was surprised that it was not on the charts. 2 divers got caught up in ropes / rigging and had to be rescued back in the 80's. Trying to locate the article now.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When you wrote "ropes/rigging", I thought of fishing nets from other boats; as would be noted on (confidential) 'Snag and Hang' reports kept by local fishing boat captains.
Don........
ex-New Canaanite

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don. Then you might have heard of this as it was right off Charles Island, probably back in the 80's or early 90's. Bet you're glad you left CT with everything going on here!

When you wrote "ropes/rigging", I thought of fishing nets from other boats; as would be noted on (confidential) 'Snag and Hang' reports kept by local fishing boat captains.
Don........
ex-New Canaanite

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rebel,
Speaking of the 80s, that's the temp here at this moment.
The only thing I missed about Conn. is the appreciation in real estate values.
Back in those days I was looking for vessels in the Bahamas.
Don....

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One must remember that Coast Survey was originally charged with keeping maps for navigational purposes, not historical asset protection/management. As with all government agencies their scope has widened to allow for a larger budget. Let's hope they don't ever get hooked up with UNESCO or they'll be surveying and protecting that burnt up old tri-hull in my neighbor's back yard.
From their website's "About Us" page: "President Thomas Jefferson created the U.S. Coast Survey in 1807 to provide nautical charts that would help the young nation with safe shipping, national defense, and maritime boundaries. Two centuries later, Coast Survey – now an office within NOAA – continues to provide navigation products and services that ensure safe and efficient maritime commerce on America’s oceans and coastal waters, and in the Great Lakes.
Innovative applications beyond navigation emerge as researchers harness evolving technologies. These advancements give Coast Survey tremendous opportunities to help the nation meet the challenges of the changing environment. Applying the newest advancements for survey and detection, data adds to our scientific knowledge of the coastal seafloor. With this knowledge, we can simulate sea level effects on coasts and ecosystems, identify sensitive marine habitats, select alternative energy sites, identify geological hazards, and predict the impact of environmental conditions on species and habitats."

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anion.. 1816 Spanish off Con.
... and ahhhhhhhhh.....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elena y Senor San Joseph... 1752... also Spanish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: