Antiquity lead

chengiskhan

Greenie
Jun 14, 2007
Hi all -

I am new to this forum and have posted this in multiple areas, so apologies in advance if you keep seeing this. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can track down some antiquity lead (Pb) (=250 years old or greater). Typically this would be found in ingot form in old shipwrecks in the Atlantic Ocean (off all coastlines) as well as other areas. I am located in California and would be interested in obtaining potentially multiple tons.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
ATTENTION EVERYONE:
Lead this old has a value greater that todays lead. Why I have no idea.
Peg Leg

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
I could be way off base here, but I think it's worth more as a lot of the radioactivity found in newly mined lead has decayed away, which makes it more compatible for soldering using the new teeny tiny electronics circuitry. Seem to remember reading something about decay products (alpha particles?) being able to foul up some aspect of sensitive integrated circuits.

Hopefully Chengiskhan will clarify as I'm curious now...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
anywhere large amounts of old lead are found--old shipwrecks are at---ballast bars were often iron (on old english warships) but sometimes lead was used in the old days---of course 250 tons would be too large of a amount for just "ballast" ---it would have to be a "main" cargo to be in such a large amount---try check up on some of the old manifests list for it as cargo --it was needed for many things in the old days---Ivan

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well lets look a little deeper into this LEAD PROJECT.
First we have to look into what is considered OLD LEAD and I believe the only way to do this is to have the LEAD tested.
Of course any lead recovered from a sunken wooden ship would past with flying colors.
Do the math.
Old lead will be valued on a per ounce bases and not by the pound. Todays scrap price is $0.10 per pound. Old lead is valued at almost the same price as FINE SILVER or about $13.00 per ounce.
So how much lead was being transported? It would be a good idea to Recheck the manifest and see what ships were carrying lead.
Some of you may recall when I asked about LEAD CANNON BALLS. Now you may understand WHY I asked this question. Even then I knew that old lead had a value but had no idea WHY. Now I know WHY.
THIS IS GOING TO INVOLVE SOME SERIOUS RESEARCH which will involve checking old ship yards.
AT LEAST THIS KEEPS ME OFF THE STREET ;D ;D ;D
PEG LEG

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From the other thread...

Jeff K said:
I've been told that lead mined pre 1945, sells for around $13 per oz. It's called low-alpha lead, and is used in electronic soldering. Google "low-alpha lead" for more info.

I wish this was true, Jeff. Thanks for making me curious enough to check it out. I know where quite a bit of pre-1940s lead is. But I spoke with a company in Spokane who buys low-alpha lead and he confirmed that it does have to be 1600s era and prior to be worthwhile. He's willing to test what we have, but it didn't look too promising. This is why lead sheathing shouldn't be dismissed by the salvager if it can be dated and/or tested.

Godspeed!
Darren

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren... Did he say what they'd be willing to pay per ounce? I have a 26 oz lead bar from the 1641 Concepcion.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good question, Jeff. I didn't ask since I didn't have old lead to offer. He did say it would have to be tested either way. He requested 2 lbs. for testing. I still will send a sample to see - you never know. His name is Jim. Nice guy. Here's their website page about low-alpha lead...

http://www.nadinc.com/metallurgical/lalt.html

Hope this helps!
Darren

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
And I was always laughed at because I insisted all lead be brought up!

I not only believe all items are of significant value historically but lead is very bad for the reef.

If anyone has any more information, please keep this post going. I have a couple emails in to the right people.

:)

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
It sure does no take much to make up a few pounds.
I wonder if there is much laying around the old Spanish ship yards that were located along the East Coast of Florida.
I know of one Shipyard near New Smynra Beach that I may check out one of these days.
Peg Leg

Cablava

May 24, 2005
The Cabalva was carrying some lead cargo when she wrecked in 1818, but its a long way from nowhere to the wreck site. The divers used pieces of the lead cargo to hold their position in the coral gullies from the wave surge while recovering pieces of eight.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    175.3 KB · Views: 404

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
What happens to lead over a few hundred years in salt water.
Will coral still grow on it.
I know that Nitric acid will put a white layer around it that stops the acid from desolving the rest.
Just wondering.
Peg leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chengiskhan is only offering 8-$10.00 a lb for pre 1940 low alpha lead.just so you all know,that in 2001 being then the lead is scarce.it was going for $175.00 a lb.im sure its worth alot more now,im waiting for a email on the current price from a scientist at one of the worlds largest solder companies.the resean why this lead is in such a demand by the electronics industry is that they make solder out of this lead,it is low alpha content.they cant build electronics without this.if they do they have problems,chips fry,circuits fry.the solder gets a fuzz on it that does not conduct electricity properly.you can see this fuzz on cheapo china made electronics.which proves they arent useing low alpha content lead solder.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
FISHEYE,
Do you have any idea how they test for low alpha?
Even at $10.00 a pound one can make a profit but at $175.00 a pound it would be worth some serious looking for.
Peg Leg

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys might find this interisting, i found this old lead with the birch bark and some coins dated 1624. I think the lead is for lead seals.some glass also came with it , cant find the peice, yet.

Attachments

• leadsealscrol1.jpg
    leadsealscrol1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 253

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Well now, this is all very interesting indeed ::)

Low-alpha Lead can be easily manufactured by the removal of Polonium (210Po...the "210" should be lower case located above the "Po" here) until it becomes 206Pb. However, I have no idea about the cost of doing this. A few companies are currently doing this for flip-chip technology (basically high end IC chips and processors) where Alpha particle emission limits are critical.

So, is there a market for old Low-Alpha Lead? You bet! But I suspect that those that want to purchase Low-Alpha Lead are those that do not have the capabilities or financial where-with-all to purchase or manufacture their own.

Bulk quantities of LAL are becoming scarce and the price of $10-15 per pound appears to be extremely low. A more realistic price would be in the area of $6-8 per ounce for LAL over 300 years old.

The testing process involves nothing more than monitoring alpha particle emission for a period of no less than 3-4 months, and usually no more than 6-8 months depending on the sample provided. Sample quantities can range from 6 ounces to 2-4 pounds if the lead is assumed to come from the same place. If the LAL is suspected to come from different mines/smelts/quarries, then it could take longer, and require larger samples in order to acheive an average sample of LAL purity.

Working extensively in electronics here I tend to read as many of the trade journels as possible. So some of the information that I have stated above may be a bit inaccurate, but not by much I think.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread