Looking for some cannons on Crooked Island.......

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are wrong Joska, (well you did ask....ha ha)

I only see 7 very grown over cannons and hopefully a cannon ball or two, the seabed is very hard in that place, there are no areas of deep sand to hide treasure and pretty much all of the debris looks like iron.

It is a very interesting shipwreck but I cannot see anywhere treasure could hide?

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a ship the pirates looted and scrapped?

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is in a place that bad weather would send it to, or it ran aground there?

Last edited:

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for fun Kevin,i will have Bill point you out some gold targets for you to see for yourself. Let the challenge begin.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Over to you then, I love a challenge and make sure the sites are in the water, I love to dive too......ha ha

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is in a place that bad weather would send it to, or it ran aground there?
Just a thought......before the Bahamas clamped down on people from other countries, visiting then taking back treasure with them. Let me share an experience I had, a chance to meet one of these people in person.

My last trip a few years back, to Crater of Diamonds State Park, camped in the primitive tent area. A couple moved in next to me, for about 3-4 days who were from South Africa. They have a sailing boat which was left in Florida, buying a car went up to Alaska and on the way down to Florida again. They bought a car, went prospecting, treasure hunting, were to sell the car and go dive for treasure. While still dark, the parking lots at Walmart stores turned out to be productive, for finding diamond rings using the car headlights. You can see the diamonds when the light hits them.

Apparently this is common for divers to come here from other countries. He told me the Caribbean is a good place for divers with sailing boats, to dive for treasure because no big operating expense, on their type of boat. This was before the treaty was signed to protect shipwrecks.......with the hard bottom I'm wondering if it wasn't picked clean of treasure (if there was any)?

Either way, no treasure means there is no treasure (at least in the water).

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very probably sailboaters (who are often cheap anyway) are working the country. Very risky for them if they do get caught.

With regard to the Crooked wreckage, I think it might be the top deck separated with the different sized cannons ( bow chasers, mortars etc) and the main wreckage is elsewhere.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I wondered about that too, might have been separated from the rest of ship.

Speaking of the sailboaters thought, got an earful during that trip to Crater of Diamonds. The South African diver told a story.....of course he had a British accent. There was another sailboater once, came to the United States. In Arkasas near the Texas border, he found along a road, a stone axe head. Visiting a local museum, there a grant of $15,000 paid for a damaged rare stone axe head like the one the sailboater found. Now this axe head apparently a large rare stone type in good condition, much better than what the museum had on display.

Rather than giving it to the museum, he kept quiet about his find, went back home and never could sell it for even close to the actual value. Remove an artifact from another country, who is going to believe it would be authentic?

Things got tough since then, no doubt this kind of looting caused the Bahamas to tighen the grip on underwater wrecks. People had been looting cultural heritage, even melting down sometimes a gold artifact to not arouse suspicion. I don't know anybody who did that, but one thing the diver from South Africa mentioned because the spot gold price went up a lot back then.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread