Sea level rise

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Hey guys, I have always wondered this. Does anybody know what historical sea rise has been for the last 1000 years? I know the little ice age between the 1200s and 17-1800's decreased sea levels. So I guess my ultimate question is this. What were the sea levels during say the 1500's, during the 1600's, 1700's, 1800's compared to todays levels. Were they 2 feet lower, 4 feet lower? I have seen stuff that said 1.5 meters during the 1400s. I would think it would be a good factor to take into consideration when trying to pinpoint potential wreck sites. You also have to take tides, storm surge, etc into account, but I think the overall sea levels would be really good to know.

Also, does anyone know either how to calculate what the tides would have been at a certain time hundreds of years ago, or know of a site that calulates it for you?? That would also be a good tool...

Thanks in advance for any input!

-THEGOLD ;D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sea level hasnt changed in 400 years or more until now with the ice caps melting and with global warming.im all for global warming,its not supposed to snow in florida.

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
In the Keys the sea level has come up about a foot every hundred years. However, in the last fifty years it has come up about nine inches.
Over the years diving and excavating we have found large deposits of faunal remains, including deer antlers, pine cones and tree stumps. The pine cones were dated about ten thousand years old and were in fifty two feet of water, west of the Marquesas. In other words when the first paleo Americans came through the area, the Keys stuck out of the water at least seventy five feet and the bottom of the Gulf was a vast pine forrest.
Splash,
Donovan

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
Temperature wise there is a bit of leeway. Most references suggest at least a four degree lower temperature, some have said that it may have been at least seven degrees cooler in Florida during the time of the early European exploration of the area.
On the Southwest Florida coast there are two indian burial sites in forty two feet of water that are about ten thousand years old. There is another site of the panhandle of Fla. in twenty feet of water that is estimated at fourteen thousand years old.
Donovan

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
According to an astronomy hobbyist friend of mine, any college science dept. should have access to a data bank that can figure the phases of the moon and the positions of the stars for any given date in antiquity.
Donovan

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might like to take a look at this Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise.
It dicusses sea level rise in great detail, and basically shows that the last really significant <geologically> sea level changes ceased approximately 4000 years ago. Since that time, according to the included graphs, average sea levels have not varied more than 1 meter. Not a lot, unless you live in New Orleans.
:)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ropesfish said:
You might like to take a look at this Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise.
It dicusses sea level rise in great detail, and basically shows that the last really significant <geologically> sea level changes ceased approximately 4000 years ago. Since that time, according to the included graphs, average sea levels have not varied more than 1 meter. Not a lot, unless you live in New Orleans.
:)
...or South Florida. A meter rise would be devastating to low lying South Florida. Ocean water would rush into the Everglades and I believe the salt water intrusion into the underground water supply alone would make the entire area uninhabitable. Do you realize how many people live here?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I understand that over 1.5 million people depend on the Glades for fresh water.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread