Searching the Ocean With a Digital Camera?

Snipes

Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

Lets try a little thought experiment. If a person had a search area in an area of the ocean which was 40 to 60 feet deep does anyone think its possible (or is there an existing system) to basically photograph the area in a grid and then use software (Similar to aerial photography) to piece it back into a full grid of the bottom of the search area?

For the sake of argument lets say visibility is good and you can see the bottom from the boat. Sound like an idea? Recomendations of cameras and lenses etc? Does this exist.

Thanks!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Snipes, I have never tried what you describe. However, I have towed a drop video camera close to the bottom in over 300 feet of water and I've gotten excellent results

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any metal suspected on it? A mag sounds the way to go, or get one of the non ferrous do dad guys to do a run over the area.

Some of their toys do work

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First researching prior work/available sources we come up with:
https://www3.epa.gov/region10/pdf/diveteam/aaus-underwater-survey-technique-08.pdf
http://www.aims.gov.au/documents/30...edure+10/34301565-3820-4c49-9087-7f3f15f1962a
An underwater photomosaic technique using Adobe Photoshop?

Building a photomosaic:
Photomosaics
http://monitor.noaa.gov/education/pdfs/photomosaics.pdf
http://www.geosci-instrum-method-data-syst.net/2/189/2013/gi-2-189-2013.pdf

Material on types of image enhancement techniques: http://research.ijcaonline.org/volume87/number13/pxc3893743.pdf
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1212/1212.0291.pdf

Yes it is possible, given good enough visibility.
Yes, there is equipment and software available to do it. NAS (Nautical Archaeology Society) does seminars about it. Check the suggested reading @ this link: http://www.nauticalarchaeologysociety.org/sites/default/files/u9/Photo CPD Statement 2014-Wet.pdf
I'd build something of a heavy wave-piercing sort of sled to carry and stabilize the camera and DGPS receiver. Being heavy will minimize the sled's movement due to wave and wake action as well as give a sturdy platform for mounting any other instrumentation. Camera needs to be able to be triggered by software so as to get the right spacing with GPS embedded in every frame.
Is that a good start? :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's your answer. I can get you extremely good resolution down to 15 meters. You can see cannons, ballast piles, objects the side of a treasure chest.

It's a little costly though... flying this in a Cessna 404.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 7.55.03 AM.png

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Any metal suspected on it? A mag sounds the way to go, or get one of the non ferrous do dad guys to do a run over the area.

Some of their toys do work
sadds669, Aquanut started these cookouts for treasure hunters to come together and help each other. I'm going to bring one of those non ferrous " do dads " to the cookout with a 1 meter search coil. So if anyone wants to see how they work. I'll have it there. I know that Aquanut and Pete are using my other one on a project. So if anyone wants to ask them how it worked for them. I advise them to get together with Aquanut and Salvor6. For those that don't know what the non ferrous " do dad " is, go on the Kellyco metal detectors web site on the internet and look up " The Pulse Star II metal detector. " Kellyco always shows up at the cookout, so if yo're interested Kthe Kellyco Team can also tell you about the unit.

Attachments

• 12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
S

Snipes

Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all such amazing information. I had told my partner about the depth of knowledge on this forum and he just gave me that "sure there is" look. But it nevers fails to amaze me the quality of information and the quality of people available here.

I will sift through that information and formulate a response. We obviously are dealing with the common issue of effectiveness versus budget!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
After thinking about this a little more in depth -what you are proposing is just the waterborne version of something that is getting a lot of attention in the DIY community at the moment-using a drone for mapping/surveillance. The 'newish' word for attaching a GPS location to a particular image is "geotagging". If I were doing the research of how to build, test and deploy the rig/find and integrate the software, I would spend some time looking in the DIY Drones, 3D Robotics,
for things like this:
Mapping with a GoPro underneath the Iris |
Digital Geography
This software is particularly interesting:
https://dronemapper.com/

I have a project that will mount a similar photographic package on the back burner while I finish getting our dive boat and the dig boat ready for this summer. I'd be interested in hearing your approach to making this all work.

OP
OP
S

Snipes

Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thats the inspiration to a large degree. Its a common aerial technique and in good water conditions with right set up it can't be that difficult (within reason) a concept to execute. Cost effective methods is probably the bigger issue

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know what order the images were taken, this is easy and add voice if you want. I tried making a video clip from still images in PowerDirector, a Hollywood stile movie software. Number your images by file name plus #1, #2, #3, etc. Keep organized files for importing to the image library on PowerDirector, you need a mouse to drag them down or else select then click the add tab. Use the fade transition between each photo.

I use WavPad software program to record audio clips, there is a graph readout which can be zoomed in. If you pause there will be a staight line in the graph, with a mouse it is easy to select by dragging over the pause area and cut.

At the top I use the produce option rather than burn, in a few seconds a clip will appear in my Documents folder. I copy the video clip to another folder and rename it. Later you can make a larger clip from several smaller ones.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's your answer. I can get you extremely good resolution down to 15 meters. You can see cannons, ballast piles, objects the side of a treasure chest.

It's a little costly though... flying this in a Cessna 404.

View attachment 1282921

Some Lidar and Landsat imagery is online too, check Landsat 7,8 and Lidar images of areas too, exploration companies run magnetic maps of areas that will show up in searches if you keyword your area and the imagery you are looking for its worth a try. I didn't note where you are from but free imagery is out there besides GE, good luck.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snipes, Canon has a program called photostitch in which you can automatically 'stitch' together photographs to make a 'mosaic'.

This may be a simple solution, as you have just asked how to put together photographs to make a mosaic.

This can easily be done with Photoshop as well, simply line up the overlapping features.

Photomosaic

bowofDerbyshire_rs.jpg

Attachments

• KnidosA-low-res.png
    KnidosA-low-res.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread