Book search - Does anyone have a copy of this for lease, loan or sale?

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I'm not offering to sell :tongue3: So I hope I won't get a Late night Visit from the Library cop[h=1]Joe Bookman[/h]

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old maps , and rare books and old documents other " knowledge" is my stock in trade .. knowing things and tracking down info is my special talent ..just ask SADS ...I did a little job for him that saved him a whole lot of time and effort and money on his part

some info and old maps and documents are quite costly

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh. My. G*d!
BOOK PIRATES!!!!
Make ready the Copyright Cannons and the Cutlass of Intellectual Property Rights!

I wonder if there is an application that can do OCR on Jolly Mon's photographic criminality. :) (Good idea though)

The library or archives may copy an entire work, or a substantial part of it, from its collection upon a patron request, if it has first determined, on the basis of a reasonable investigation, that a copy cannot be obtained at a fair price. This is generally the case when the work is out of print and used copies are not available at a reasonable price. The copy must become the property of the user and the library or archives must not have notice that the copy will be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research. - See more at: Library Copying - Copyright Overview by Rich Stim - Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Center

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
old maps , and rare books and old documents other " knowledge" is my stock in trade .. knowing things and tracking down info is my special talent ..just ask SADS ...I did a little job for him that saved him a whole lot of time and effort and money on his part

some info and old maps and documents are quite costly

More Lambs Navy rum on the way to you when I get to the UK for my mums91st birthday.......

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a copy. Contains interesting information. J.C. Millás used to spend holidays time for research in the Archive of the Indies.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you all for the kind words and advice.
I have located a copy owned by one of our treasure-hunting clan. As soon as he actually finds it, we will conclude our negotiations.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other books of this nature, obscure but useful for understanding the conditions of the time and therefore useful in finding wrecks unseen for centuries?
If you'd rather not put it out in public, I would welcome a PM.

Thanks again!

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old time "coast pilot" books, many of which are in the public domain and available on Google Books, often contain interesting possibilities. Not only do they lay out the preferred routes of old time sailing captains, they also point out well known navigational hazards along those routes. As a rule of thumb, a navigational hazard became well known because ships wrecked there...

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anytime an out-of-circulation book you need for research is at a library you can go in, take photos (flashless) or photocopy on site and keep the digital version forever. As long as it's not meant to be shared or sold online & is just for your research, you can save yourself a lot of hassle & money this way.

In fact, the librarians will often offer to do the photocopying for you.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime an out-of-circulation book you need for research is at a library you can go in, take photos (flashless) or photocopy on site and keep the digital version forever. As long as it's not meant to be shared or sold online & is just for your research, you can save yourself a lot of hassle & money this way.

In fact, the librarians will often offer to do the photocopying for you.

the problem here with Library photo copies is,
I've seen prices that range from .20 to .30 cents a page.
& twice that at Hysterical Societies.
while grocery stores in the area charge .03 to .05 each.
so a few pages at the library are no big deal.

however if you want the whole thing for research
at .30 a page , plus if they want a gratuity for doing it for you.
you may as well buy an antique copy at auction.

downside to photo copying antiques properly.
the books spine gets allot of ware.
so Hysterical Societies and some libraries will have a big problem with you doing it.

Last edited:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've been around the world to a ton of archives. The best way at a library, historical society, archive, etc. is to bring a good camera with a high resolution setting (most iPhones do the job). Turn off any sounds & turn off the flash.

Archives actually provide weights for this very purpose so you can lay open the pages without damaging the spine. Or you can use other books or devices to try to keep a book open. I keep coins in a garden glove that has rubber dots on it. Works perfectly in giving me a "hand" while I take digital photos of an open book. Just lay it open, weight the edges & snap away.

A lot of PDF software these days has the ability to turn photos into PDF pages with searchable text (OCR technology). So you can import every page into a single document & have forever access to it.

I'm a paperless researcher, & I've obtained THOUSANDS of primary-source documents this way.

And it's all free.
And legal.
And green.

This is a handwritten 1717 book I copied at Jamaica's archives before a hurricane drove me out of there. The snake-like thing on the right is a string of weights made for the purpose:
Pages from 1717Aug23-ThanxAgainstPirates.jpg

This 1717 book pic uses a snake weight & sand bags at the British Museum, the one place where they do NOT allow you to bring in your own camera. They have a photo machine that watermarks everything, & yes you must pay a fee. Worth every penny imo.
1717 ArticlesAgainstAHamilton-full 4.jpg

But down the road at the Kew National Archives outside London you can snap away with your own camera. In fact, 95% of the archives I've used allow you to do this with your own camera free of charge. I don't know about Seville. Haven't yet been there. It's on my bucket list.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's my garden glove in a quick photo I just snapped for a sample using my very old, very bad iPhone at low resolution & low light - would look great with a newer iPhone or a digital camera:
IMG_1716.JPG

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah cuba is now open for travel ...saving up for a trip to their archives ...time for some "cultural exchange" travel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions