This weeks dose of self-righteousness

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Re: This week's dose of self-righteousness

Peg Leg,

Sorry Peg, when you described what I had said as "a bunch of Horse CRAP", I thought that was what you meant. Apparently not.

In most cases salvors get the lion's share of the value of the cargo, sometimes as high as 90%, so I assume from what you say that you wouldn't object to the idea of them putting some of their surplus profits (over and above the 50% target you set) back into proper archaeological examination of the wreck?

For example, I think it likely that Odyssey will get to keep a very high percentage of the coins that they have removed from their latest find, which they say are worth $500 million. What would you say about the idea of them putting 1% ($5 million) back into archaeological examination of the wreck, or $25 million even, which would still only be 5% of the value of these coins alone. That would still leave them with a huge profit and would do much to overcome the criticism associated with the exploitation of wrecks, and would be a good investment in public relations.

Mariner

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Re: This week's dose of self-righteousness

Mariner,
I would go a little further. I would say that no less than 10% be returned for REASERCH of the total value of what is recovered and THEN divide whatever is left over.
But the problem is and will always be GREED by one party or the next.
The other part of this problem is that you never know who you are dealing with because the Government Leaders can change over night which means that even though you have a signed agreement the NEW Leaders can make this agreement not worth the paper it is written on.
It is a CATCH 22.
No one can predict the outcome so I think it was a good idea to move the artifacts to the U.S. and then TALK about who gets what.
Just my thinking but I sometimes think a littl to much ;D
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread