Identification of the "Phosphate Carrier" (420 fsw) and the "Oil Wreck" (145 fsw

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Identification of the "Phosphate Carrier" (420 fsw) and the "Oil Wreck" (145 fsw

Following our exploratory dive this past weekend to a massive unknown wreck in 420 feet of water over 160 nautical miles in the Gulf of Mexico and after a review of available information, AUE has tentatively identified the wreck of the "Phosphate Carrier" as the tanker MUNGER T. BALL and the "Oil Wreck", which rests north of the Dry Tortugas, as the tanker JOSEPH M. CUDAHY.

Information and images can be found in our trip report posted on the AUE website.

http://uwex.us

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Identification of the "Phosphate Carrier" (420 fsw) and the "Oil Wreck" (145 fsw

the families of the dead thank you for finding the resting place of their loved ones---Ivan

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Identification of the "Phosphate Carrier" (420 fsw) and the "Oil Wreck" (145 fsw

Nice work, Mike. You guys always are on the extremes - thanks for sharing. :)

D

divechief

I have dove on the Oil Wreck back around 1990 and fished on it since the late 1970s. The first time I fished it I was a mate on the 72' "Getaway" out of Fort Myers Beach FL. We anchored up on the wreck at first light and within 15 minutes we had almost every one of the 30 customers hooked up at the same time with Jew fish (Now called Goliath Grouper). It was an impresseve site to stand at the bow an look down the length of both gunnels and see 30 six-ott and nine-ott Penn Senators with 80 pound class rods all doubled over at the same time. We came home that day with 11 Jew fish weighing between 250 to 425 pounds each. We also had about 50 Amber Jack weighing between 40 to 90 pounds each.
Later around 1990, I dove the wreck. It was lying on its Starboard side about 30 degrees from being turtled. The bow was in great condition and the length of the under side was also in great condition. When I got to the stern I noticed it was smashed in, so I assumed it must have been bashed in from sinking stern first. As I came around the rear deck and proceded forward, I noticed one of the ships boilers sticking out of a rip in the hull about 40 feet up from the stern. I continued along the deck where it met the port railing about 20 feet above the sand bottom. About half way up the length of the ship, a large wooden mast, probably a cargo loading boom jutted out from the deck and into the sand 50 feet away. As I approached the bow I noted about 6 shrimp boat anchors tangled in the hull and the railing. At least this is how I remember the wreck. I looked but I could not find any raised letters of a name on the bow or stern. I was just a little bit narked as I was diving on air only and just a single aluminum 80. The last time I was there, the wreck was still leaking oil to the surface.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ah a bit of history on the two ships and their "link" in history to each other---in early 1942 a couple of german subs were sent into the amercian waters around florida to attack shipping---most of america was "asleep" to the threat and knew nothing of it---most american ships were rather lax thinking that they were in "safe" waters--- well on may 5th of 1942--the U 507 commanded by Lt. Commander Harro Schacht found and attacked the tanker --- Munger T. Hall--by torpedoing it---it exploded into a huge fire---according to the submarines logbook---- of the tanker Munger T Hall's --34 crew members 30 died in the attack leaving only 4 survivors----seeing the flames from a distance---the nearby ship --Joseph M. Cudahy ---sent out a SOS call to get assistance for the Munger T. Hall crew and to advise others that the enemy was in the area---they were to play dearly for sending the SOS / ALERT call out --- the german U boats radio operator was listening on the 600 meter band and picked up on their broadcast and thus their location---within the hour they were tracked down and despite using zig zag moves within 3 hours they too were attacked by torpedo and sank with a loss of 27 lives and only 10 survivors----as world war 2 merchant mariners ---the 57 men that died and the 14 that lived thru these events were finally recently grantedwar vetern status by the US govt a few short years ago ----- I have been a "american" merchant seaman for the last 27 years ---(by the way just as they were for many years after world war 2 until just recently ----I too am considered offically a "non-vet" by the govt for my "service" in the gulf wars) I served in of both gulf wars aboard ships--- in the "first gulf war" having hauled bombs and transfered them to the aircraft carrier america for them to use as part of task force 155 ---we carried their ammo supplies (bombs)---which when needed--- we transfered to them by helicopters from her sent to us ---during the "second gulf war" I worked on a "tanker" hauling jet fuel-------I would hate to think what a torpedo would have done to a "tanker" full of gasoline in world war 2---it would have been a nightmare beyond belief----may god grant their souls peace---as a fellow merchant mariner --I personally want to say thank you for finding their final resting places so that their families can have some closure finally.----Ivan

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

Cool stuff, thanks for posting. I'm glad you guys are out there exploring these wrecks. The only time you will find me below 180 feet is when I am buried at sea.

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread