Tampas Odyssey Marine stock drops 59 percent...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tampa's Odyssey Marine stock drops 59 percent...

Tampa Bay Times link

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 7.41.33 AM.png

4/11/2016 article in the Tampa Bay Times states in part:

Tampa treasure hunter Odyssey Marine Exploration's stock plummeted nearly 60 percent Monday after it disclosed the Mexican government denied the company's application to mine a large deposit of phosphate — a key component of fertilizer — in Mexican waters.

The mining operation, dubbed the "Don Diego" project, has been promoted for some time by Odyssey as a significant piece of its future revenues and efforts to broaden its business beyond finding and salvaging the cargo of sunken ships.

Odyssey shares fell 58.8 percent, closing at $3.45 on the Nasdaq, a loss in net worth for the company of more than $25 million.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sea turtles? Really?
I have no financial interest in this, but it sure seems like the 'national' governments of the world have one thing in common- a general dislike for capitalists of any nationality who want to make a profit from the 'undersea resources' of the planet and a specific dislike for Odyssey Marine.
I think Odyssey's public relations problems are self-inflicted to some degree, but the wider problem of government intransigence to any sort of ocean salvage or mining projects is ongoing and increasing.
It would be so very beneficial to the treasure salvage business if Odyssey, as the most high profile company in the industry, got some good press, good results and good returns for it's investors without the accompanying drama.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tampa's Odyssey Marine stock drops 59 percent...

One way would be to share some of the shallow wrecks they know with us and get us working for them......on a share basis.....

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One way would be to share some of the shallow wrecks they know with us and get us working for them......on a share basis.....

From your lips to their ears...
By salvaging 1% of the treasure off of the wrecks off Belize and Honduras per year they could add 10's of millions to the government treasury. Cuba has been salvaging wrecks for decades, we are told.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions