Thank you very much.great site.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
fla state archives---has lots of maps---just got one copied and sent to me ---don't know if they have that one though ---holly at the state archives was quite nice to me ---told her it was for my "research"---Ivan

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a portion of the east coast map from Romans in 1774 (published 7 years later in 1781) including a notation about the 1715 fleet between Sebastian and St. Lucie's Inlet. If you need a specific part of the map, let me know. It's too big to see all at once.

Attachments

• romans.JPG
    romans.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,269

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually, Lynn, Melbourne is already covered on the above map. If you'll look dead center of the map, Sebastian Inlet is there. Melbourne is just above there where the depths are recorded at 12. It's kinda hard to compare the old and new, eh? :)

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I can count about 14 X's on the map south of Sabastian Inlet.
If these were/are shipwrecks there are a good number of them under the beach sand and no longer in the ocean.
Very interesting.
Peg Leg

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peg Leg said:
I can count about 14 X's on the map south of Sabastian Inlet.
If these were/are shipwrecks there are a good number of them under the beach sand and no longer in the ocean.
Very interesting.
Peg Leg

Peg,

the "x" are obstacles (not wrecks) in this case maybe the reef......

Chagy......

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, what Chagy said. Those are on modern charts also. They represent either exposed area at low tide or very shallow area at low tide, usually with rocks. That coast has some shallow reefs and sandbars North and South of Sebastian Inlet. But what Peg Leg said about some of the wrecks being under the sand is true. Some of the wreckage is under sand on land. Either the boats unloaded all the ballast and heavy cargo, and rolled up on the beach and later went below the sand, or the shoreline has moved out, onto the wrecks. I follow the latter theory. A well documented wreck on land is the 1715 wreck that is called Corrigans (for the original homebuilder) that is under the sand. There was cannons dug up when they were digging the foundation for a house in the 1940s, and then when they built the condos that are there now, they had lots of artifacts come up with the digging.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here you go, Scott. Obviously, it's changed drastically since then, but you can see Hobe Sound at the top as a reference point.

Attachments

• romans3.JPG
    romans3.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,537

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Some discrepancies are intentional to produce a fold and new quads underneath it all. Just a thought. Twisted

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl?data=/home/www/data/gmd/gmd386/g3861/g3861p/ar16220a.sid&style=gmd&itemLink=D?gmd:1:./temp/~ammem_bN50::&title=Maps%20of%20East%20and%20West%20Florida.%20B.%20Romans,%20inv.%20delin.%20%26%20in%20%26AElig;re%20incidit.

If you cant get to it by the link above, use this one and do a search on All Collections. Type in "Florida Bernard Roman".

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gnrlmapquery.html

Here is the map info from the LOC.

MEDIUM
2 maps on 3 sheets 237 x 80 cm. or smaller fold. in cover 64 & 48 cm.

CALL NUMBER
G3861.P5 s500 .R6 Vault

REPOSITORY
Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA

DIGITAL ID
(Map 1) g3861p ar16220a http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3861p.ar16220a
(Map 2) g3931p ar16220b http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3931p.ar16220b

Let me know if you need any help.

Robert

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Thanks. Just downloaded the map and viewer and all is working fine. Trying to find out what it costs to obtain a full size, printed copy of the map. Any ideas?

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Thanks. I went through that and never once saw any prices. Looks like you have to call them, tell them what you want, and then they quote you a price. I'll be calling on thursday.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keegah:
The Atlantic Pilot written in 1772 by De Brahm containing all of his charts in fold-out bright white paper was reproduced by the FL. State Univ. System as a Bicentennial reproduction in 1972. The book is an exact reproduction, down to the typefaces and yellow text pages. The charts are excellent.

Alibris had a copy available this evening for $11.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread