Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have not spent much time on this research as we did not have these ships on our radar, and we tend to spend time on what we are doing and going after.
Anyone have the information or were I should look for, what type of Cannon and anchor were recovered from the 1715 Fleet, bronze or iron on the Cannon, and what has not been recovered or anything related to.

A few of the guys here are more knowledgeable on this than I am, any help would be gratfull

Thanks Bobby

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone would just go dive the wreck locations and send Bobby the loot, it would be much appreciated. He doesn't have time to research or google.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
If someone would just go dive the wreck locations and send Bobby the loot, it would be much appreciated. He doesn't have time to research or google.

I assume you're joking. Bobby has been helpful to everyone that has asked. Now he is asking. There are a lot of guys here that have this info readily available. Regretfully, I'm not one.
Aquanut

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Well that would be nice, but we work for what we get here guy, and we find wrecks and we get permits, I am just asking help to the ones that know more about this than I do, so be nice, and try to help not be a negative person

So what have you do latley

Aquanut thanks

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobby,

Your question is indeed so broad, it would require volumes to respond to. Most of the cannon from all fleets, voyages and individual sailings have been recovered as scrap during the war efforts of the early-mid 1900s. Many anchors, too. This is especially true of those closest to shore, though there are a few iron cannon left. What no one is doing is going further out. Beyond the 3-mile mark is virtually untouched, though it was known by Mel Fisher and Bob Marx that there were more targets there. It also bypasses the need for the state's permission. The cost of surveying that vast stretch of Treasure Coast is cost-prohibitive for such an undertaking. But since you have contacts, perhaps you might find unrelated surveys done by NOAA that could yield some clues. I have an old coordinate file that is classified to the public that might also yield some clues. I used it for NC, but it covers Florida, too. I have never used it for that purpose, but it could be used as such.

All the best,
Darren

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobby,

Your question is indeed so broad, it would require volumes to respond to. Most of the cannon from all fleets, voyages and individual sailings have been recovered as scrap during the war efforts of the early-mid 1900s. Many anchors, too. This is especially true of those closest to shore, though there are a few iron cannon left. What no one is doing is going further out. Beyond the 3-mile mark is virtually untouched, though it was known by Mel Fisher and Bob Marx that there were more targets there. It also bypasses the need for the state's permission. The cost of surveying that vast stretch of Treasure Coast is cost-prohibitive for such an undertaking. But since you have contacts, perhaps you might find unrelated surveys done by NOAA that could yield some clues. I have an old coordinate file that is classified to the public that might also yield some clues. I used it for NC, but it covers Florida, too. I have never used it for that purpose, but it could be used as such.

All the best,
Darren

Thanks Darren
Maybe I am not being clear enough and thanks for the help, what type of Cannon and anchor were recovered from the 1715 Fleet, bronze or iron on the Cannon,
There were a certain amount of cannon on the 1715 fleet ships, how many and what kind may they have been ?, first part: What has been found/recovered that is known 2nd part.

I am just trying to get an idea of what they would have carried to compare some stuff we found in the DR and else where

Again Thanks

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Someone like Tommy Gore could tell you " everything" you want to know about what has been brought up.......great guy, buy him a pint, visit him at his museum and take it from there

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Someone like Tommy Gore could tell you " everything" you want to know about what has been brought up.......great guy, buy him a pint, visit him at his museum and take it from there

Thanks

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not recall any main cannons of bronze on the fleet. Some bronze swivel guns.

Off the top of my head there's around 100 cannons still scattered about on the 1715 wreck sites 6 footers, 8 footers and 10 footers.

digging my digital files....

Nuestra Senora De La Regla- 471 tons, carried a total of 52 iron cannon: 1st Deck, 8 iron Spanish 18 pounders; 1st deck, 18 iron English 16 pounders; 2nd deck, 26 iron Spanish 6 pounders

Santo Cristo De San Roman- 450 tons, 54- Iron Cannons

Nuestra Senora De Les Nieves- 195 tons, 20 Iron Cannons

Urca De Lima- 300 tons, 30 Iron Cannons

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I do not recall any main cannons of bronze on the fleet. Some bronze swivel guns.

Off the top of my head there's around 100 cannons still scattered about on the 1715 wreck sites 6 footers, 8 footers and 10 footers.

digging my digital files....

Nuestra Senora De La Regla- 471 tons, carried a total of 52 iron cannon: 1st Deck, 8 iron Spanish 18 pounders; 1st deck, 18 iron English 16 pounders; 2nd deck, 26 iron Spanish 6 pounders

Santo Cristo De San Roman- 450 tons, 54- Iron Cannons

Nuestra Senora De Les Nieves- 195 tons, 20 Iron Cannons

Urca De Lima- 300 tons, 30 Iron Cannons

Thanks for the information, this is helpful

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Quick dig in my files is scant:

CARMEN: Echeverz's capitana (former Hampton Court): 70 guns (demi cannons, 12-pounders, sakers, 3-pounders)

POPA: Echeverz's Dutch prize/patache: 4–6 cannons

MARIA GALANTE may be the "cannon wreck" at Treasure Shores Beach Park, presumably named for its yield in the last 50 years.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black Duck...
A wealth of information is contained in the Indian River main library archives...

Pretty much every article concerning "what" has been found and when has been compiled there.
All the way back to 30's.

Make sure you wash your hands really well before going... for it is required... or was.
I also suggest you clear your day or at least half of it...
for you may want to continue on after box 1... which is the box I suggest you ask for.
And not because it is the "first box". heh

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Black Duck...
A wealth of information is contained in the Indian River main library archives...

Pretty much every article concerning "what" has been found and when has been compiled there.
All the way back to 30's.

Make sure you wash your hands really well before going... for it is required... or was.
I also suggest you clear your day or at least half of it...
for you may want to continue on after box 1... which is the box I suggest you ask for.
And not because it is the "first box". heh

Gross music and ARRC, thanks this is very helpful, the data on the cannon is what I am looking for most iron or Bronze

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black...
I will say this...
The cannon I have personally seen that have been salvaged from those sites have all been iron.
Excluding Swivels etc.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1940 bronze cannons were found on the beach in sebastian.“Among the relics found on the beach are gold “pieces of eight” , copper coins, bronze cannons and cannon balls. Among those finding them were Capt. Al Grandbouche, a former commercial fisherman now employed as a guide at the Sebastian Inn, Jerry Horgan, a guest of the Sebastian Inn, and George Leeds, tin plate millionaire.”

Pieces of Eight Newspaper - 1715 Fleet Society

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off the track a little bit but do any of you guys have video or pictures of mercury found on any wrecks?
I need some. Jack Dyer <[email protected]>

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get mercury out of old a/c thermostats and glass relays.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one pound or under is legal to sell or have, other than that, both the buyer and the seller need to be licensed.
Title 49 → Subtitle B → Chapter I → Subchapter C → Part 173 → Subpart E → §173.164 exempts elemental mercury at quantities of 1 pound or less from the hazardous material requirements.

Depending on your location, there should be sources of elemental mercury, but be careful of the source, if you are looking for purity. It is only a few dollars per pound.

Do NOT get caught dumping this.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't think enrada wants some actual mercury, he wants video or pictures of mercury found on shipwrecks. The first thing I thought of is do a google search of the quicksilver wreck in the Dominican Republic.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
enrada, I did the google search for you and I found the Conde de Tolosa sank in Samanna bay of the DR. Tracy Bowen found the wreck in 1977 and did salvage work. The Tolosa carried 250 tons of mercury (yes, tons) and it is still down there.

2008 Museum Website for DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum - The Quicksilver Galleons

National Geographic did a special on this wreck and they have videos of puddles of mercury on the sea floor. I remember seeing it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions