Any 1715 fleet contractors looking for free diving volunteer

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Folks, and Fellow Hunters,
I know it's probably a long shot, fat chance.. but I have to ask if it might be possible to volunteer dive and help out a couple days for any of you actively hunting the different 1715 sites in the last week of July or first week of August. Will be in the area a week earlier than when my wife comes down, and would love to learn, help, pay all my own expenses, and just live the adventure for a couple days. Not going to get into all the resume stuff, have dove for many years, spearfish and all that, but if someone would be kind enough to turn on a fellow treasure hunter to the experience and thrill of the hunt, I'd practically pay for the adventure. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, thoughts or suggestions as to who i might reach out to. All the best to everyone

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Contact ropesfish, if you can locate a cheap engine for him you will be a star and very welcome......

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jarz, check out pete's post above.........and below.....

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Iteach, contact Dan Porter at Maritime Research and
Recovery. Dan's a great guy and he and his team have already found gold this year.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe Capt Dom and Seahunter are on hold for now on the Jupiter wreck. Capt Dom?

OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks, I appreciate ya taking the time. I'm aware that quite a few of the salvage contractors are longtime members of TNet, and I was hoping for some advice as to whom i might reach out to, and who might also welcome me. So far I have Ropesfish, and Dan Porter. Old man, might you please PM me any contact info for him that you may have. Sadds, not sure what your suggestion was, but I always enjoy your "thouights" on things. And no, I'm not bringing an engine down from Pittsburgh in my truck. Any other people..... I'll buy the rum for the end of the trip :)

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Teach, my suggestion was, try and find and engine for ropesfish ( that he really needs) and he'll treat you like a king.....

yeh I know you don't wanna find one in PA but they have lots there...

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think crews are looking on the 1715 as most have began work and try to get a solid that will stick it out till September. But if I hear any I'll get back to you. Sorry

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I didn't know Ropesfish needed an engine. I thought all he needed was a new injector.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I didn't know Ropesfish needed an engine. I thought all he needed was a new injector.

Nope.
After following the advice of 'real mechanics' and chasing injector problems for 5 days, I discovered that cylinder #5 has no compression, and that a Volvo TAMD70C costs more to rebuild than it would be worth. Therefore, I am out of commission for a while. :(
I am looking for 2 things: a replacement engine/transmission (200+HP inline diesel of a more recent manufacture) and someone that wants to help supply the money to pay for it in return for equity in this season's finds. We have a lot of summer left if we can get this engine replaced and get back in business. I'm working with Capt. Kym Ferrell this season and we have a lot of good places to work if we can just get over this engine-sized hump.

OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I still have way too much to learn about boats and diesel engines before I could even speak intelligently about that stuff. I'm afraid the best I could offer at this point is that if you were to find a replacement engine up here in Pittsburgh, PA or within a couple hours driving time, I'd be happy to offer to drive it down there to you on my truck and or trailer. I did look for some, wow, that's gonna be a huge engine. Best of luck getting it back out on the water. If I can help you out, I'd be happy to.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, Iteach, for the freighting offer. I appreciate it! I'll let you know. I have to get some more dollars in the money bag before I start doing much more than accumulating a list of engines for sale at various prices. 200 HP in a modern engine is really a pretty small package. The old Volvo TAMD70C weighs 2030 pounds for 280 horsepower. As an example of the advances in newer technology, the Cummins 6BTA is the engine that Dodge put in their first generation diesel pickups. They were rated around 190 HP back in the early 1990s. They are now making 370 or more reliable horsepower with the same engine. (More boost on the turbo, better injectors, better valve timing) It weighs about 1100 lbs. The 4BTA is 2/3rds of a 6BTA and can make about 250 at about 900 lbs. I kinda get chills thinking about 250 HP with a 1200 lb weight savings or 350 with a...That's about how much gear we carry...
Anyway...thanks again for the offer. We'll stay in touch.
:)

I still have way too much to learn about boats and diesel engines before I could even speak intelligently about that stuff. I'm afraid the best I could offer at this point is that if you were to find a replacement engine up here in Pittsburgh, PA or within a couple hours driving time, I'd be happy to offer to drive it down there to you on my truck and or trailer. I did look for some, wow, that's gonna be a huge engine. Best of luck getting it back out on the water. If I can help you out, I'd be happy to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread