Looking for a diesel engine for our treasure boat

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
About 10 days ago the Carib starting making some ugly noises on the way back from our 2nd day of work this season. We limped her back in and started investigatiing. After following the advice of 'real mechanics' and chasing injector problems for 5 days, I discovered that cylinder #5 has no compression, and that a Volvo TAMD70C costs more to rebuild than it would be worth. Therefore, we are out of commission for a while. :(
I am looking for 2 things: a replacement engine/transmission (200+HP inline diesel of a more recent manufacture) and someone that wants to help supply some or all of the money to pay for it in return for equity in this season's finds. Compared to an equal outboard, a late model used diesel engine is not that expensive. I believe we can get repowered and splashed for under $8,000, (maybe a lot less). If you can help on either front, please shoot me a PM.
We have a lot of summer left if we can get this engine replaced and get back in business. I'm working with the very experienced Capt. Kym Ferrell this season and we have a strategy and a lot of good places to work if we can just get over this engine-sized hump.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill take a look at Ebay. You can get a running Detroit 6-71 for as little as $1,400. It is the most common diesel engine in the world.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We're watching EBay every day and bid some on a TAMD 41, but didn't win the bid.
I am trying to find something that is a little newer than the present engine and one that won't take much changing. Modifying to fit takes time and money. We have little time and less money. :)

joska

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diesel Engine Motor.com Volvo Penta-41a excellent condition $5000 860-482-7066

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Diesel Engine Motor.com Volvo Penta-41a excellent condition $5000 860-482-7066

Connecticut is a little too far to go look or to have to pay freight from, but thanks for the thought. I'll keep an eye on that site. It's a budget thing. I had spent quite a bit getting ready for the season and left no financial cushion to buy a new /used engine. I'm trying to sell that old engine for a parts motor, but Volvo motors that big and that old are not in great demand.

In case someone else runs into this sort of need, EBay, Boats and Harbors, Dieselenginetrader.com, usedboatequipment,com and the site that Joska mentioned -dieselenginemotor.com are the best places to look that I have found to date.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. Best of luck in buying a great used motor and find the treasures that you are seeking.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've found some engines, we're just looking for a few more dollars to put in the fund so we can get something close to turn-key. I've got a big weekend of Craigslist, EBay and Facebook sales coming up.
This is our year. We just have this one little old hurdle to clear....we'll get there.
Stay tuned.
Follow along here or on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Search-and-Salvage-1002616806476767/?fref=ts

Thanks to the TNet member who has helped out on the engine fund. We really appreciate it!

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Would there be any vehicles, construction equipment that would also have the same engine. Once a friend needed a good diesel engine for a van truck of his, & they were expensive. We found a low mileage school bus that had the same one at a great price !

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Would there be any vehicles, construction equipment that would also have the same engine. Once a friend needed a good diesel engine for a van truck of his, & they were expensive. We found a low mileage school bus that had the same one at a great price !

Sad to say, the Volvo TAMD 70C is not a popular industrial engine in the US as far as I can discover, so the chances of finding one to put back in are pretty slim. The newer engines like the TAMD 41, 42 and 43 are between 200 and 280 HP, but weigh about 1000 lbs less than the venerable 70C. The weight savings will offset some power loss.
I'd love to be able to put a Cummins 6BTA with about 300 HP in there or even the 4BTA in 250 HP trim. The 6BTA weighs about 1100, the 4BTA weighs less than 800, the Volvo weighs about 2300. Ahhhh...maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. My luck has got to change!
We have had some people come on as investors that are going to make this engine change happen, but I still could stand a few more. If you want to get in, now would be the time.

Thanks to all who have helped, hoped, prayed and just commiserated. We're trying to get out there!!!
If you are on Facebook, please feel free to send me, Captain Kym A Ferrell and/or Grant Gitschlag, a friend request, follow our Search and Salvage page or just follow us. We'll be posting pictures and video of the week's festivities, I imagine. You can watch me lose another 15 lbs right there with a wrench in my hand!!
Thanks, guys... 20160610_082038.jpg

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cummins 6BTA common in generators, so should be easy to find, see quite a few around $2K

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cummins 6BTA common in generators, so should be easy to find, see quite a few around $2K

The older generator engines were usually the 12V 160-190 HP versions. Unless you have a fully marine engine to scavenge, converting them to marine use is very expensive. New marine exhaust manifold, heat exchanger and seawater pump comes to over $3000 without any of the miscellaneous parts to adapt.
Finding a salvage motor with good parts to scavenge?...I'm still looking

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill-

Sorta sucks that Scania I have access too doesn't fill the bill....( no pun intended). Didn't realize it was an industrial version until I had called ya. Shame..sure couldn't beat the price!!

I'll keep trollin up here and see if I can kick anything outta the weeds...

Ag

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, everyone for all the help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
We did end up with enough money to purchase a Volvo TAMD 41D built in 1994. It's a nice, solid 200 HP engine that weighs about 1300 lbs less than the old 280 HP (rated) TAMD 70C. (Parts from this engine will be available from me)
I'm in the process of getting ready to pull the old and install the new. we hope to be back on the water by the middle of next week, just in time for a long stretch of calm and clear conditions. Someone turn on the outdoor AC for the next several days, please!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread