what is the name of this weapon please

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
i was dectecting today whan i had an encounter with a gentleman whom proceeded to tell me of a wreck of the Northumberland coast Uk of a spanish ship he mentioned a cannon that he been offered out of this wreck he described it as as being a small version of a cannon with the ships name on it indicated with his hands the size of it approx 12inchs he said it was mounted on th upperdecks my questions are these is anyone aware of any spanish ships being wrecked in Northumberland coastline Uk and what is this cannon called he said there was also a sextant recovered complete with glass intact is this possible i recall him saying it was a 17th Century vessal when I pushed for location he said he knew but was to keep it quiet does this have a ring of truth about it ? I have just recalled two more things he said that this cannon had a small ball on the end of it and a lever what could this have been

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Not much.
If he can discribe so much then someone else will know of it and then this is no longer a secret. Start checking with a few locals and the truth will show up.
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Sounds like a small swivel cannon or rail gun. They would have been a little larger than 12 inches though. A pistol from that period would have been 12 or more inches.

A swivel or rail gun would have been mounted on the upper decks and would have been used at close range. They would also had a small lever to aide in aiming and possibly a ball at the rear.

Here are some pictures. The first one is a pict of two swivel guns recovered by CaribbeanDiver here on TNet. The others are some picts found on the net. The last is a replica!

Attachments

• caribbeandiver swivel gun.jpg
    caribbeandiver swivel gun.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 608
  • french swivel rail gun.jpg
    french swivel rail gun.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 569
  • replica swivel gun.jpg
    replica swivel gun.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 603
OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
my estimate of his indications may have been wrong but his description sound right is this it possible he has knowlege of a unkown wreck

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is the possibility that there is a wreck. If he does tell you, dont tell anyone, and go work it. I suppose you meant near shore right? Look the area over well with a metal detector, and see if you can find anything. If not then you didnt venture much. Good Luck, Steve.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
most swivel guns were made of bronze.....and even if it had the vessels name on it. it doesnt mean it was from the same vessel many times these got stolen from the original vessel....

All the best and welcome to the forum,

Chagy......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
from the sounds of it could be a swivel or rail gun ---size is a bit offsizewize but in thegeneral discription (sounds alot like the repilca one shown earlier actually)--most likely its bronze if 1700's era ---swivel and rail guns were often looted off prizeships and moved ship to ship often as has been said befoe by others----check it out--- very carefully and quietly of course----Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
quite true didn't think of a signal gun --fits well to what was said

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
On a SSS scan on my Ghost ship there is a Swivel cannon that measures 36" long with a aiming handle that is about 24" long.This cannon is bronze because a Mag never picked it up.
Also near this small cannon is a another cannon but is much larger than the swivel cannon. Neither cannon was picked up with a mag so I have to assume they are both bronze(?).
After the EXPO I am going to get VERY SERIOUS about doing a Professional Survey with pemits and everything LEGAL-(FOR A CHANGE) ;D ;D.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread