just a thought on the "queens jewels / dowry " -- its possible location and why....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just a thought on the "queens jewels / dowry " -- its possible location and why....

the queen married the king but would not allow hmi to "take her" ---until her dowry was paid ... this is why the king was pressuring the 1715 fleet to return home as rapidly as possible (even in the peak of hurricane season against all advice not to ) ...the king was a total horndog of the first order ...he was screwing his former wife on her death bed...when folks basically reproached him for it (hey even as a king this goes beyond the pale and will make it quite hard for his people to find a future mate for him once the word gets out --his reply was --but who knows how long it will take you to find me a new wife?.....so of course when the word got out of his actions --no woman of royal blood stock wanted to be wed to him ...one was finally found but she said basically if you want me to wed that freak --I'm going to be well paid for doing so -- so if no off spring come from it --I be set for life quite well...(kings could divorce barren women--and if there were no children it was always HER fault in those days)

the marriage was done but not the "wedding night" that was not to occur until she got paid ...

the dowry was reportedly placed upon Ubilla's main treasure vessel with him ---it was a point of honor to carry such treasure ) plus it was heavily armed and manned for combat --even if it was slow) and as senior commander of the combined fleet Ubilla was the person that would have to answer to the king if anything were to screw up (off with his head) So he would like to keep a eye upon it at all times ...it was entrusted while on the to the master of the silver * basically the royal treasure man that oversees all the royal money and treasures on the fleet and accounts for it while its in transit as to whom has what and which ship its upon

both Ubilla and the master of the silver died during the ship's wrecking *

shortly after the 1715 fleet wrecked the survivors sent word back to Havana , Cuba as well as to St Augustine about the event ... Casa Torres (the head man in Cuba ) sent out a vessel to take VIP'S and high value treasure (read the kings and queens stuff ) and to return it to spain as quickly as possible before pirates could plunder the shipwrecks .

this vessel is spoken of via the PS at the bottom of the Oct 24th , 1715 letter from the English governor of Virginia //ALEXADER SPOTSWOOD TO LORD STANHOPE OF ENGLAND ... in it Spotswood clearly explains it all ////a barkolnga (type of ship) was sent from Havana , Cuba to the fleet wreck sites to fetch up VIP"S and treasure and that it wrecked about 40 miles to the north of St. Augustine (basically in the Nassau sound / Amelia Island area ( --if indeed this vessel was carrying the "cherry picked " crown jewel t/ dowry type items ...it would be of huge value indeed..

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot, Ivan...you have the theory, you have the chart...it's time to turn pirate and go after that bad boy...in that location you could start an operation on a shoestring...after all, it is NOT illegal to dive in that area...it's even possible you might be able to locate the wreck with a cheap side imaging fish finder and drop camera...though my guess would be that the wreck is buried under some amount of sediment...you never know though...

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
jolly mon -- I know exactly where the wrecks at * however the state of florida says that its in the "aquatic preserve zone" part of Nassau sound * --and that because of it that no permits will be issued in that area for fear that it might disturb the bottom -- please note that modern day sea charts as well as a 1769 map both state that due to constantly shifting bottom sands that you should not rely solely upon the maps depth markings --basically it has a unstable constantly shifting sand bottom ---also take note that the area has in the past has had the corp of engineers dredge sand off the area and pump it onto the beach at the southern tip of Amelia Island (and brother if that ain"t "disturbing the bottom" --I like to know what is...when the state was informed that the corp dumping dirt upon the beach was in effect giving away the treasure dredged up off the bottom away for free to metal detectorist without the state getting their 20% cut like they would get if they issued a "salvage permit" --they only action was to ban metal detecting on the beach ---its clear they are anti anyone but archies finding treasure or artifacts of any type..the state would love for me to attempt to loot the site --that way they could legally screw me out of any claim to it at all--I refuse to fall prey to their "trap"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions